Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No software update in 4 weeks now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 2017 MX is currently on 2017.46.8 3387a54. I always got an update within days of release but 6 weeks back my MX was with the Tesla SC for few issues and during the two weeks they had it with them I got 3-4 software update prompts on my phone app. Since I did not have access to my MX, I was unable to install those updates but I know, a day before I got my MX back, SC did install an update.

In the last 4 weeks, there have been 5 software releases and unfortunately I have not gotten a single one. I did check my WiFi connection and the MX has good WiFi signal strength in the garage. FWIW, in the past I have even gotten software update prompts in the absence of WiFi.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what the issue maybe? I called Tesla and the rep. looked at the logs and did not find anything unusual.

There is no issue. Tesla assigns updates in blocks, until there is a fleet wide release. Sometimes you are in the early blocks, sometimes you have to wait for the fleet wide release. If you look at http://firmware.teslafi.com/ you can see the percentages of cars on a version, as far as we can tell the last fleet wide release was .42.
Exactly. You are extremely lucky if you always get updates within a few days of it coming out. The vast vast majority of cars run only wide releases, and right now, that is 2017.42. Having .46 already puts you a month ahead of the curve.

I've been up to about three months between updates a couple of times. (And I'm still on 17.42.)

However, Tesla just released a phone app update that adds significant new functionality, but only for cars with 17.50 or newer, so I'm thinking we'll see a fleet wide release soon.

I've been up to about three months between updates a couple of times. (And I'm still on 17.42.)

However, Tesla just released a phone app update that adds significant new functionality, but only for cars with 17.50 or newer, so I'm thinking we'll see a fleet wide release soon.
I said the same thing for 2017.48 (which has unlimited preconditioning and was called out in the release notes) but it didn't happen. But maybe this time it'll be a Christmas miracle!

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
FYI on the feature mentioned above:
Android Tesla app (3.2.3 (345999d8f1) and What's New says this:
When temperatures are near freezing, preconditioning will also heat your battery for better driving and charging performance. We recommend you plug in to reduce range loss, and start pre-conditioning about an hour before you plan to leave since it can take some time to warm up the battery in colder weather. Note: Requires vehicle software version 2017.50 or above.

Still on 17.44. My X was at the SC wed, and they did not update.
Probably because 17.50 has some issues. 17.50.2 was just released and we can hope this is the one that is ‘good enough’ and we all get it. :)

As @chillaban says, it’s a bit of a lottery. Since I got my X in September, I’ve gotten most releases immediately. On 17.48 now, and still waiting for 17.50. But that may be because it has been being tested on the way out. 50 broke some cars, 50.1 fixed those but something else must have popped up as we now have 17.50.2.

There are usually (never?) no new features in x.x.x releases so... here we wait!

Edit; been about four weeks for me, also...

My version history (as logged by teslalog.com) is also a bit disappointing as of late:
Code:
Fri Nov 10 2017    2017.44 02fdc86
Thu Aug  3 2017    2017.28.4 cf44833
Fri Jul 21 2017    2017.28 c528869
Thu Jul 13 2017    17.26.76
Thu Jun 29 2017    17.24.30
Thu Jun 22 2017    17.24.28
Thu May 11 2017    17.17.4

The update on Nov 10th was done at the SeC. I feel like that's the only way to get updates for my car nowadays.

Reactions: boonedocks
I was on .42 forever until I brought my car in for service. The S.A. said as soon as the car is within the geofence of the sc ( wifi) it automatcally downloads firmware. Sure enough, before I even left the SC, I received a notification of an update (.50, and also recieved . 51).
Maybe park at your local s.c for lunch and see what happens.

I was on .42 forever until I brought my car in for service. The S.A. said as soon as the car is within the geofence of the sc ( wifi) it automatcally downloads firmware. Sure enough, before I even left the SC, I received a notification of an update (.50, and also recieved . 51).

Don’t just congest your service center — this does not work since FW 8.0 unless you have an open service ticket.

That is, come up with a reason to open a service appointment. Don’t just show up and loiter and expect something to happen — it won’t, after this trick was widely publicized right before 8.0’s launch.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I think this has been shown not to work anymore. Like someone else mentioned, I was at service and asked for upgrade. They neither uploaded or queued it for push once I left.

• Informative
Reactions: Blup85
Don’t just congest your service center — this
I think this has been shown not to work anymore. Like someone else mentioned, I was at service and asked for upgrade. They neither uploaded or queued it for push once I left.
Bummer. Chalk one up for bad info from a service tech.

I wasn't suggesting clogging up the service center, the tech suggested the evidence was their wifi.. but again that doesn't sound like it works like that. I do know, my car received the update notification as soon as I parked near the service entrance door

Looks like finally got a nice gift. Just returned from a vacation in Cancun and the MX prompted me for a firmware update. Just finished installing and guess what, I am now on 2017.50.2 3bd9f6d. That was like 5-6 firmwares in one go. Ho Ho Ho!