Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No software update in awhile....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just hit me when I saw this thread--for what other car would we think it's weird when there isn't a software update for a few weeks? Until very very recently, cars never got regular software updates. Not even for bug fixes. It wasn't even in the realm of possibility, a concept one even considered. And none actually significantly increased functionality and performance the way Tesla's have.

Truly we are living in the future.

you could look at it that way.

or, you could think that companies are releasing products that are mostly hardware-ready but whose software is still years behind. it gives an artifical 'start of delivery' and the business guys love that. but its not exactly honest. not really.

[onion_on_belt] a long time ago, thought was put into product design, user interface design and overall engineering and test. when a product was released, it had enough 'soak time' in design and test to not *need* further updates, other than an odd one on a very rare occasion. the fewer the updates, the better the designers and testers did; and the more they were able to predict how to design and test new models. [/oob]

enter the software-based world. its now 'ok' to not finish anything that can be 'worked around' in software. things ship early but they are buggy for a lot of their lifetime. some products end their lives, still with major unfixed bugs.

I'm not so sure things are better. they are different and faster, but they've pushed the test phase to us, the users.

you could look at it that way.

or, you could think that companies are releasing products that are mostly hardware-ready but whose software is still years behind. it gives an artifical 'start of delivery' and the business guys love that. but its not exactly honest. not really.

[onion_on_belt] a long time ago, thought was put into product design, user interface design and overall engineering and test. when a product was released, it had enough 'soak time' in design and test to not *need* further updates, other than an odd one on a very rare occasion. the fewer the updates, the better the designers and testers did; and the more they were able to predict how to design and test new models. [/oob]

enter the software-based world. its now 'ok' to not finish anything that can be 'worked around' in software. things ship early but they are buggy for a lot of their lifetime. some products end their lives, still with major unfixed bugs.

I'm not so sure things are better. they are different and faster, but they've pushed the test phase to us, the users.

I think it’s a side effect of the whole agile dev movement. The theory is sound but the application is usually just ship it and worry about tech debt and bugs later which keeps getting kicked down the road. Then quick wins in the form of easy new features are worked on instead.

I see it everyday. Everyone is afraid to tackle big tech debt or bugs that take too long to fix because they go beyond the sprints.

Took my wife’s late 2017 MX HW2.5 MCU1 for a car wash. No love in quite some time for her car

FA6849E3-AA89-41AF-997E-755D3433A787.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66 and TexasDuke
sprint. lol. isn't a sprint when you run as fast as you can? if you are *always* running that way, when do you get a chance to rest?

'agile' is just another religion to follow, when you don't know how to actually manage a project. oh well.

You got it. you don’t need some fancy software religion to follow. You just need good management through the whole process which seems to be very rare.

• Informative
Reactions: arghx7 and thedm96
Yeah. I think it is pretty normal. It is preparation for the first "2020" updates. My guess is that they are working on "city NOA". We will probably get 2020.4 in a couple weeks.
Saw a tweet today asking if anyone had release notes for 2020.4 that had been spotted in the wild. Haven't seen it show up on TeslaFi yet - probably early access owner.

If you have an S or X, DO NOT upgrade to 2019.40.2.3. They no longer allow split screen. Typically I run Tesla Waze in the browser. The other half of the screen is nav. They no longer allow us to half size the browser. it is full screen or nothing. Don't upgrade if you use Tesla Waze! I am regretting my mistake to trust Tesla with the upgrade. This is the quote from the Tesla Engineer. "This is intentional. We’re no longer doing the split window setup on the center display."

Still dying for an update.... 2020.4 was kind of light XD
However I could help settle the argument about AWD having the same hardware as the P3D since we can now check what both motors are!

Hopefully next update is indeed 2020.8 like @Mobile3228 said. I really hope it will include FSD visualisation outside of the US... Kind of sad that I can't benefit from it here in Canada :(

Reactions: TexasDuke