Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it’s brand new it might take a few days to weeks before the update gets pushed to you. There is NO WAY to force an update. Just keep it plugged in and connected to wifi, that’s all you need to do and the updates will come. Please read your manual, the forums and ask any question you have (but remember to search as well).

Welcome to the club!!!

Since it’s brand new it might take a few days to weeks before the update gets pushed to you. There is NO WAY to force an update. Just keep it plugged in and connected to wifi, that’s all you need to do and the updates will come. Please read your manual, the forums and ask any question you have (but remember to search as well).

Welcome to the club!!!

Thank you!! I have done a lot of research and LOVE THE CAR so far! Just been going crazy since I know there's an update but I cant get it! Lol!

Yeah, with all the new cars being sold these last few weeks, we all hope there’s some mass update of VINs to the update (lol) list as that’s what’s needed for the cars to get new firmware. What you have now is the current software from when the MCU (large screen computer) was built.

Welcome and have fun!

Hey Guys! I just purchased my Model 3 on Christmas Eve. I noticed that my Model 3 is still on software update 9.0. Clearly an update is missing but it shows my cars up to date on software. I connect the car to wifi. But still nothing. Any Help? Thanks!!

First, you must be connected to WiFi to get updates. Newer versions will tell you that you've got an update pending, but I don't believe that yours will. Once connected to WiFi, sometime, when you least expect it, you will get a notification that an update is available. Depending on the update, it may take the car offline for up to an hour to apply, no driving during this time and the alarms may be disabled.

So, the old adage definitely applies here, a watched pot will never boil.

Join the club. I picked my car up on Thursday. I have had it connected to a very strong WiFi signal (Orbi in the garage) and plugged in to the charger, but my firmware is still 25 versions behind the latest according to TesliFi.

I've tried using the hotspot on my iPhone, other family member's WiFi, and even parked outside the Service Center connected to their WiFi to see if I can speed the delivery along. None of the tips mentioned in my searches worked for me, but I am not sure they really work for anyone.

25 versions add up to a lot of cool features I am missing out on, so I hope it doesn't take weeks. It's hard to be patient when many of the youtubers say the best thing about the Model 3 is the OTA updates, and I can't have them.

Join the club. I picked my car up on Thursday. I have had it connected to a very strong WiFi signal (Orbi in the garage) and plugged in to the charger, but my firmware is still 25 versions behind the latest according to TesliFi.

I've tried using the hotspot on my phone, other family member's WiFi, and even parked outside the Service Center connected to their WiFi to see if I can speed the delivery along. None of the tips mentioned in my searches work for me, but not sure they really work for anyone.

25 versions is a lot of cool features I am missing out on, soI hope it doesn't take weeks. It's hard to be patient when many of the youtubers say the best thing about the Model 3 is the OTA updates, and I can't have them.
As we said: all the new cars have to be added to the update list. It’s not going to happen in a day or so. I’d be surprised if it happens before January 2nd.

And the ‘park outside the Service Center’ hasn’t worked in years. You need a work order if you aren’t already scheduled for an update.

No tips work since now your app tells you even when you are NOT on wifi that an update is waiting for you and to move to wifi. Oh yeah, do set updates to Advanced. That’s the only thing that helps, but doesn’t really for a car that far behind. It will get something ASAP as soon as it’s added to the list. Nothing until it exists. Which it doesn’t until it’s added. :D

(Yeah, v9 doesn’t have Advanced or tell you when off wifi. All that will work once you get your first update. When they add you to the list.)

Last edited:

I've tried using the hotspot on my iPhone, other family member's WiFi, and even parked outside the Service Center connected to their WiFi to see if I can speed the delivery along. None of the tips mentioned in my searches worked for me, but I am not sure they really work for anyone.

25 versions add up to a lot of cool features I am missing out on, so I hope it doesn't take weeks. It's hard to be patient when many of the youtubers say the best thing about the Model 3 is the OTA updates, and I can't have them.

What version are you on? The numbers jump around by the week. Have you tried a hard re-boot? Hold both steering wheel buttons and the brake until the T shows up on the screen. If you’re behind 36.whatever then yeah go ahead and put a request in via the app. Good luck

What version are you on? The numbers jump around by the week. Have you tried a hard re-boot? Hold both steering wheel buttons and the brake until the T shows up on the screen. If you’re behind 36.whatever then yeah go ahead and put a request in via the app. Good luck

I am on V9.0 2019.31.103.1 288243e

Yes, I tried the reboot a couple of times.

I can't put in a request by the app. It bombs out at the end and says try again later. Tesla Support doesn't know how to fix it. I'll drive to the Service Center tomorrow morning and grab someone live since they don't answer their phone or return messages.

I do have updates turned to Advanced. I have cycled that to Standard and back.

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH
As we said: all the new cars have to be added to the update list. It’s not going to happen in a day or so. I’d be surprised if it happens before January 2nd.

Isn't it bizarre that this guy bought his car today and he has an update waiting? You say it can't happen in a day or so. It happened same day for him.

Software updates and wifi

So many weird things with Tesla, and so many conflicting ideas on how everything works. I think there's a 49% chance that something is broke on mine and it won't get updates without someone doing something. Problem is that I could wait weeks patiently and that will be weeks wasted. Story of my 1 month life with Tesla so far.

Just got back from the service center. I was the only customer there, but the 3 employees just kept typing on their computers hoping they wouldn't have to be the one to interact with a customer. Didn't even get a hello. (kinda of a Seinfeld reference, lol)

Long story short, the lady said my issues are because I don't own the car as far as they are concerned. Tesla still owns it. However, she doesn't know how it gets fixed, but she sent some emails. Seems possible someone didn't do something right when filling out my paperwork.

Unlikely those emails she sent will have any effect because I think all Tesla employees have an email rule set up to automatically delete any incoming email from anyone.

And until I own the car, they can't fix anything, which is strange. You would think they could fix cars that they own that need fixing, but apparently not.

Last edited:
Have you called Tesla Service - or opened a service request in the app? They have the ability to force an update down to a car. If it was mine that was doing this, I would have opened a chat session with service the next day!

Have you called Tesla Service - or opened a service request in the app? They have the ability to force an update down to a car. If it was mine that was doing this, I would have opened a chat session with service the next day!

If you're talking to me, I can't open a service appt in the app. It bombs out at the very end after you have typed everything and added pics. And yes, I did call Tesla Service and they said they can't figure out what's wrong and I should go to the service center. And you saw above, the service center said they can't do anything.

Remind you of any 3rd world government organizations? They must have hired Muammar Gaddafi's son to set up their processes and software.

Just got back from the service center. I was the only customer there, but the 3 employees just kept typing on their computers hoping they wouldn't have to be the one to interact with a customer. Didn't even get a hello. (kinda of a Seinfeld reference, lol)

Long story short, the lady said my issues are because I don't own the car as far as they are concerned. Tesla still owns it. However, she doesn't know how it gets fixed, but she sent some emails. Seems possible someone didn't do something right when filling out my paperwork.

Unlikely those emails she sent will have any effect because I think all Tesla employees have an email rule set up to automatically delete any incoming email from anyone.

And until I own the car, they can't fix anything, which is strange. You would think they could fix cars that they own that need fixing, but apparently not.

Soooo since you only received it Thursday I wouldn’t start raising hell just yet, let the paperwork hit the system. It’s the holidays so ain’t no body doing sh*t. I wouldn’t even raise hell until after next week. Did you buy new or was it a used purchased? The OP says Xmas for his, both of you will receive an update when you don’t expect. Just drive the car

Soooo since you only received it Thursday I wouldn’t start raising hell just yet, let the paperwork hit the system. It’s the holidays so ain’t no body doing sh*t. I wouldn’t even raise hell until after next week. Did you buy new or was it a used purchased? The OP says Xmas for his, both of you will receive an update when you don’t expect. Just drive the car

That's already the plan. Just wait.

Mine is categorized as "New" on the mvpa, but it was a test drive car with 250 miles when I bought it. It was made October 18. So it's not like it just rolled off the factory line so that the VIN in unknown. In the link I posted above, one guy was getting updates on the same day he received a newly manufactured car, so go figure on everyone's theories.

Maybe waiting is the solution, but you don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from the very disorganized Tesla by just waiting. That's because that's exactly what they tell you - "wait and then call us if it doesn't work after a week or two." No confidence on their part, so why I should be I confident?

Not really enjoying driving the car with a crooked steering wheel and probably extra tire wear from being out of alignment. Not good for my OCD. Never mind not having the updates, which by the way the autopilot nearly killed me on my first drive when it slammed on the brakes on busy and fast moving freeway. I think it thought an overpass was a stopped vehicle or I was driving into a wall. That's probably fixed in one of the 25 revisions since mine was updated.

Last edited:
That's already the plan. Just wait.

Mine is categorized as "New" on the mvpa, but it was a test drive car with 250 miles when I bought it. It was made October 18. So it's not like it just rolled off the factory line like some people's car that the VIN was so new, yet like I posted in the link above, one guy was getting updates on the same day he received the car.

It's clear there's no hard fast rule on how long it takes for the car to be set up properly in their systems and you don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from Tesla that things will be fixed by just waiting, which is because that's exactly what they tell you - "wait and then call us if it doesn't work after a week or two."

Not really enjoying driving the car with a crooked steering wheel and probably extra tire wear from being out of alignment. Not good for my OCD. Never mind not having the updates, which by the way the autopilot nearly killed me on my first drive when it slammed on the brakes on busy and fast moving freeway. I think it though and overpass was a car. That's probably fixed in one of the 25 revisions since mine was updated.

So it’s a new car, just happen to be a test drive car, nothing wrong with that. Don’t mind the owner who got all the updates in day one, that is NOT the norm. It took me 21 days to get an update as you can see in my attachment and I was dumb enough to give Tesla $6K for FSD so there is no rhyme or reason to the madness of updates.

Tesla should be able to schedule you to clock the steering wheel to the proper point but I’ve got bad news for you with the phantom braking....... that’s life with AutoPilot and it’s use of radar and cameras only. If the light is just right it’ll brake hard like that, happened to me and the family on Thursday last week after getting 40.50.1 sooo yeah that’s just life.

While you wait for the updates take a read around the forums and familiarize yourself with stuff. Find your local Tesla owner FB page so you know when they’re doing events or stuff.

Don’t stress it, enough the fuel savings and ALL the torque!

Attachments

• 4836F35C-2CBE-4A14-86C6-291011335EDF.png
    4836F35C-2CBE-4A14-86C6-291011335EDF.png
    314.5 KB · Views: 79
Tesla should be able to schedule you to clock the steering wheel to the proper point but I’ve got bad news for you with the phantom braking....... that’s life with AutoPilot and it’s use of radar and cameras only. If the light is just right it’ll brake hard like that, happened to me and the family on Thursday last week after getting 40.50.1 sooo yeah that’s just life.

You would think so, but I was physically in the service center this morning, and they told me no to my face. They won't do anything on the car for me until I officially own it. Rich Rebuilds would love to have this one to make a new video.

Yeah so much for AutoPilot. It's almost useless to me even when it's working because of the way traffic moves in reality and how I don't like to hang around 18 wheelers that are good at cracking windshields. It proves to just be easier and less stressful for me to drive myself.

Last edited:
You would think so, but I was physically in the service center this morning, and they told me no to my face. They won't do anything on the car for me until I officially own it. Rich Rebuilds would love to have this one to make a new video.

Yeah so much for AutoPilot. It's almost useless to me even when it's working because of the way traffic moves in reality and how I don't like to hang around 18 wheelers that are good at cracking windshields. It proves to just be easier and less stressful for me to drive myself.

I can see with the holidays they told you no but you own the car... maybe try next week. If you don’t like the car within the 7day window return it. Don’t keep a car you don’t like especially if your having bad service. You can return it and put an order in for a new one too