Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Software Updates After Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 Model 3 was t-boned after 3 weeks of ownership and has been in the body shop since 10/15/21. I just got my car back today (12/1/21) and I noticed my software is about 8 versions behind (2021.32.22) and the car isn’t showing that there are any updates to download. I have the update option set to advanced so if there are updates it should get them automatically. Is there any way to force updates to your car?

First, so sorry. Hopefully all passengers OK.

Could it be that the car will just need a day or two to sit and recover? Not kidding; just a little time before it gets back into the regular download pattern? (It's re-connected to your home network, of course, right?)

Interesting because service on another car is suspected of kicking it out of the FSD Beta testing program (and back into the regular non-FSD Production Build track). So service definitely can affect software downloads. Maybe a message for a mobile tech to come out and get it back on track?

Upvote 0
First, so sorry. Hopefully all passengers OK.

Could it be that the car will just need a day or two to sit and recover? Not kidding; just a little time before it gets back into the regular download pattern? (It's re-connected to your home network, of course, right?)

Interesting because service on another car is suspected of kicking it out of the FSD Beta testing program (and back into the regular non-FSD Production Build track). So service definitely can affect software downloads. Maybe a message for a mobile tech to come out and get it back on track?
That’s not a bad idea. I’m probably going to wait a few days to see if being on my home wifi triggers anything. It’s funny you mention FSD because my safety score got reset while in for repair so I have to start all over again. I was still in queue for the beta but my score didn’t exist anymore.

Upvote 0
Being in the FSD Beta queue limits your software updates, but even outside the queue it takes a while for updates to roll out to the fleet. Both of our cars are still on 2021.36.5.1 even though newer builds have been available for a while, and 2021.40.6 has been widely deployed.

Upvote 0
Being in the FSD Beta queue limits your software updates, but even outside the queue it takes a while for updates to roll out to the fleet. Both of our cars are still on 2021.36.5.1 even though newer builds have been available for a while, and 2021.40.6 has been widely deployed.
Interesting I didn’t realize being in the queue would limit what updates you can get. So far after 1 day I’m at 100 again so 9 more days to go hopefully before I get the access.

Upvote 0
Interesting I didn’t realize being in the queue would limit what updates you can get. So far after 1 day I’m at 100 again so 9 more days to go hopefully before I get the access.

Yes, I am told by more knowledgeable TMC participants that there are at least two software update (download) tracks (or branches) here in the USA: (a) for the smaller number of FSD Beta Testers and (b) for regular "Production Build" customers (those not in the FSD Beta testing program). (Probably more complicated than that, but simplified for this discussion.)

The FSD Beta Tester group gets, well, FSD Beta to test. Group (b) gets updates that have features that Group (a) doesn't get--like Navigation waypoints and "Additional Vehicle Information" about CCS1 adapter compatibility and available cellular networks. (Why, you might ask, is there this dichotomy? Not entirely sure.)

Some FSD Beta test applicants and FSD Beta testers are leaving those programs and getting reinstated back into the regular update group (because they are tired of waiting for FSD, don't see it as particularly advantageous right now, or want the missing features the Production Build camp enjoys.) But most testers are probably sticking with it, hoping for better days, and forsee a time when the two "branches" may merge together again.

I am working on a visual model of recent downloads (Trying to Make Sense...), hoping for it to answer basic questions (e.g., Why don't I have certain features? Can I get FSD Beta? And so forth.), but finding it slow going (because I naturally don't have access to the Tesla decision-making process as to who gets what, when, and why).

• Informative
Reactions: Relayer
Upvote 0
I am working on a visual model of recent downloads (Trying to Make Sense...), hoping for it to answer basic questions (e.g., Why don't I have certain features? Can I get FSD Beta? And so forth.), but finding it slow going (because I naturally don't have access to the Tesla decision-making process as to who gets what, when, and why).

That's a great concept. I wish you luck with this project.

On another note, I am grappling with the logic with having the two track software rollout simply because I don't see the correlation between testing a sub feature of the overall car software; such as; self driving and something like climate control. The software updates include an array of features and bug fixes. Whereas, the FSD beta is design to specifically test the FSD feature. If the other features and components of the car are not critical to FSD functionality, I am not sure why Tesla would intentionally exclude the participants from receiving those updates. I would guess a programmer would prefer for the vehicle to have all components up-to-date, much like how many other platform's beta programs; like android, windows, Linux, etc set minimum software and hardware build requirements to participate in the programs.

Moreover, I would think Tesla's legal department would include some verbiage in the FSD beta disclosure that would inform the user that by opting in, they may potentially forego feature and/or critical bug fixes that are offered in official software rollouts.

Reactions: tps5352
Upvote 0
...On another note, I am grappling with the logic with having the two track software rollout simply because I don't see the correlation between testing a sub feature of the overall car software; such as; self driving and something like climate control. The software updates include an array of features and bug fixes. Whereas, the FSD beta is design to specifically test the FSD feature. If the other features and components of the car are not critical to FSD functionality, I am not sure why Tesla would intentionally exclude the participants from receiving those updates. I would guess a programmer would prefer for the vehicle to have all components up-to-date, much like how many other platform's beta programs; like android, windows, Linux, etc set minimum software and hardware build requirements to participate in the programs.

Moreover, I would think Tesla's legal department would include some verbiage in the FSD beta disclosure that would inform the user that by opting in, they may potentially forego feature and/or critical bug fixes that are offered in official software rollouts.

Agreed. Pursuing this line of thinking, I see at least two main sets of advantages (from maintaining two separate pathways of software updates):
  1. Convenience and expediency.

Having two "tracks" allows coders working on FSD Beta test software to focus on a tough problem (development of true self driving) with less distraction, skirt possible unanticipated interactions among FSD and new non-FSD functions, and respond more nimbly--take in data and turn around subsequent corrective updates to address problems more quickly.

2. Psychology and PR (public relations).

Identifying two tracks allows Tesla to mollify (the majority of) customers who for whatever reason are not able or allowed to be FSD Beta Testers. They get additional features early, so that any protest and bad feelings about being excluded from the FSD Beta testing are kept to a minimum.

At the same time, with their "own" branch of software updates FSD Beta testers get something special--they get to play around (risk life and limb) with a theoretically important new feature-package.

Grousing is (mostly) kept to a tolerable minimum.
Unfortunately, under severe examination both of these speculative explanations stand up about as well as FSD Beta approaching a roundabout.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe an increase in free market competition in the EV space will adjust Tesla"s attitude about it's current state of pace. Elon brilliantly uses his megaphone to distract people from learning that Tesla is lagging behind in autonomous driving advancements. But once competitors do start making stronger waves with their newer flleet of EV cars in the next couple years, we can expect our Teslas updates to get a little bit more attention.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
Upvote 0