Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Sonic with my update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@rbcopod

I think this is not true and goes against multiple pages of the manual. The front USB ports will be fully functional or the manual supplied with the car is totally wrong as it clearly states on at least a dozen occasions that the front USB ports are mainly for data and the glovebox should be left for Sentry only.
You're right about the documentation in the manual. Unfortunately, they added a clause in the on-line version of the manual that warns that Y and 3 made after 11/1/2021 may not have data function in the console ports. In addition, the sales agreement has a clause that lets them replace and delete things at will.

Unless we raise a stink about the deceitful and underhanded nature of this feature deletion, nothing will happen. I’m hoping that posts like yours will be disseminated creating enough discontent that a retrofit will be provided.

You're right about the documentation in the manual. Unfortunately, they added a clause in the on-line version of the manual that warns that Y and 3 made after 11/1/2021 may not have data function in the console ports. In addition, the sales agreement has a clause that lets them replace and delete things at will.

Unless we raise a stink about the deceitful and underhanded nature of this feature deletion, nothing will happen. I’m hoping that posts like yours will be disseminated creating enough discontent that a retrofit will be provided.
IMG_7893.jpeg

I also have no Sonic nor TikTok and I also have no wireless charging. Does anyone know if UK cars should have TikTok update too?
I picked my vehicle up on 26 Dec. It had sonic from the pre v11 update.
I installed v11 and sonic disappeared. I have sodoku. Tiktok is MIA as well. It's with the service team along ith my post pickup list of service work

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but If you have a 3 or Y born after 11/1/2021 your usb c console has no data capabilities and Sonic is not in your future. Yes, you bought a new rather costly car, but Tesla, in its wisdom, replaced your ports with power only ones. There is no current retrofit. They have a clause in your contract that allows them to essentially replace stuff at will. Your only recourse is to hope they will somehow change their mind and agree to restore this function. For this change you get nothing except no Sonic. A game controller still works on the games but you have to use the usb a port in the glove compartment. If you are ambitious you will place a usb a hub in the glove and attach usb music, usb sentry and a wireless dongle for gaming, or attach a wired gaming console. Pretty elegant huh?

if enough people complain about this maybe Tesla will agree to fix it. The ports still work in X and S models.
I had a service appointment today to adjust a small panel gap on my right rear door. They did a great job and were efficient and courteous.

While I was in I asked him to take a look at my USB C ports in the center console and the the missing sonic game.

Officially, I was told the following:

1. USB c ports are not being installed with data from this point moving forward. This could change. Right now there is no retrofit offered. We know it doesn’t make sense.

2. In those vehicles that do not have data ports in the center console, games such as sonic (that require a game controller) will not be installed. We know the usb A port in the glove compartment would work but we don’t set the policy.

3. There is a potential Bluetooth update in the future that will allow the playing of games using a Bluetooth game controller at which point game functionality (such as sonic) will be returned. There is no timeline on when this may occur.

So there you have it.

I had a service appointment today to adjust a small panel gap on my right rear door. They did a great job and were efficient and courteous.

While I was in I asked him to take a look at my USB C ports in the center console and the the missing sonic game.

1. USB c ports are not being installed with data from this point moving forward. This could change. Right now there is no retrofit offered. We know it doesn’t make sense.

2. In those vehicles that do not have data ports in the center console, games such as sonic (that require a game controller) will not be installed. We know the usb A port in the glove compartment would work but we don’t set the policy.

3. There is a potential Bluetooth update in the future that will allow the playing of games using a Bluetooth game controller at which point game functionality (such as sonic) will be returned. There is no timeline on when this may occur.

So there you have it.
You can say there you have it, but the issue is in the image below.
I know my model Y front ports are power only, but I can plug in a controller to the glovebox and play games right now, they are just not allowing it for this new game when below it was stated by the top guy that it’s coming to ALL Teslas.

Attachments

• 1DC472E6-06E9-4641-9068-9969D6FACF50.jpeg
    1DC472E6-06E9-4641-9068-9969D6FACF50.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 120

So there you have it.
pathetic.... latest release doesn't support the latest tech.

I like my car but frankly getting pretty pissed off with the randomness of Tesla, this is my second vehicle but likely my last as the competition is beginning to overtake on many metrics.
I got my first Tesla last month. A 2022 Model Y and I was blind sided by the central USB ports being charge only.

I also ended up with an Atom, although Ryzen is being installed and/or is coming to 2022 Model Ys.

Tesla seems to take away things at random from future versions of the same car (Examples: Radar, Lumbar, USB-C data, games, UI functionality with updates) and/or upgrade things in the same model/year (Ryzen, batteries), etc... It makes it so you never know what you're actually going to end up with on your vehicle at delivery, yet the price only goes up.

I'm one of those people who changes cars every 3-4 years, but I'm not sure if I'll buy another Tesla in a few years. I think it depends on if they plan to allow retrofitting of the new CPU and I guess add bluetooth controller support along with the missing games for USB-C charge only cars. Seeing how far EV competition has come at that point, along with charging network improvements, will also drive my decision.

I'm not sure I'd really use the games much, should they be eventually provided, but that CPU is definitely something I want for everyday use.

They'd need to address the majority of it to keep me as a future customer, though, because of the principal of the thing. (I would make an exception for radar, if vision only becomes great. Same for lumbar, can just get a pillow. Rest of the stuff needs to be tackled, though.)

I got my first Tesla last month. A 2022 Model Y and I was blind sided by the central USB ports being charge only.

I also ended up with an Atom, although Ryzen is being installed and/or is coming to 2022 Model Ys.

Tesla seems to take away things at random from future versions of the same car (Examples: Radar, Lumbar, USB-C data, games, UI functionality with updates) and/or upgrade things in the same model/year (Ryzen, batteries), etc... It makes it so you never know what you're actually going to end up with on your vehicle at delivery, yet the price only goes up.

I'm one of those people who changes cars every 3-4 years, but I'm not sure if I'll buy another Tesla in a few years. I think it depends on if they plan to allow retrofitting of the new CPU and I guess add bluetooth controller support along with the missing games for USB-C charge only cars. Seeing how far EV competition has come at that point, along with charging network improvements, will also drive my decision.

I'm not sure I'd really use the games much, should they be eventually provided, but that CPU is definitely something I want for everyday use.

They'd need to address the majority of it to keep me as a future customer, though, because of the principal of the thing. (I would make an exception for radar, if vision only becomes great. Same for lumbar, can just get a pillow. Rest of the stuff needs to be tackled, though.)
There really should be better identification of specs on a given vehicle. I understand that this is a new paradigm in car manufacturing, but some changes are significant enough that they could and should be considered when making a large purchase.

Would I have delayed (or avoided) the purchase because of the USB-C ports not handling data? No (although it would have been nice to know as opposed to me using trial-and-error, then a bunch of Google searches, wasting ~2 hours).

Would I have delayed the purchase for the upgraded Ryzen CPU? Yes, for sure, primarily because I did not need the car right away. Which is probably why they don't document these changes! UUGH!

I haven’t played one game in the car yet and don’t plan to do so anytime soon😉
Games are not the only function for a data port. USB drives for the boom box function, sentry, and music are supposed to also be accessible from the usb c ports.

Future data applications may also need access to the ports. You don’t have to use the games to see the benefits.

One day on a long road trip at a supercharger with a bored youngster the games could come in handy.

It's because the missing games require a remote. The USB-C installed in your (and my wife's Y) don't have USBc with ability to transfer info, therefore no remote capability. Supposed to be a free retrofit when they get them in stock but no telling how long.

Reactions: vegetaban
It's because the missing games require a remote. The USB-C installed in your (and my wife's Y) don't have USBc with ability to transfer info, therefore no remote capability. Supposed to be a free retrofit when they get them in stock but no telling how long.

But you don't need to use the USB-C for this, you can use the working USB in the glovebox to connect a controller and it'll work.

Reactions: AutoRocket
But you don't need to use the USB-C for this, you can use the working USB in the glovebox to connect a controller and it'll work.
Sadly if you don’t have the working usb c data ports in the console, you aren’t allowed to download Sonic or Cuphead. So yeah the usb a port in the glovebox could potentially work, but it’s moot without the games.

Reactions: Hello7