Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sound, even after resets.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Long Range Model 3, 57k miles.

I experienced the no sound bug once or twice a year. Usually the wheel reset brings it back right away. But I've tried the wheels reset. The foot on the brake and wheels reset. As well as changing the equalizer then resetting trick.

Still no sound.

Also, no internet connectivity.

There's an update but I haven't been informed via push notification as I always update ASAP once I see the push notification. It's updating now.

I have every confidence the internet and sound will return after the update is complete, but this kind of bug is extremely detrimental to my happiness of this car.

Last edited:
2018 Long Range Model 3, 57k miles.

I experienced the no sound bug once or twice a year. Usually the wheel reset brings it back right away. But I've tried the wheels reset. The foot on the brake and wheels reset. As well as changing the equalizer then resetting trick.

Still no sound.

Also, no internet connectivity.

There's an update but I haven't been informed via push notification as I always update ASAP once I see the push notification. It's updating now.

I have every confidence the internet and sound will return after the update is complete, but this kind of bug is extremely detrimental to my happiness of this car.

If rebooting the touchscreen doesnt work, you can always try the "power off" setting in the menu to turn the car off. Let it sit off for at least 5-10 minutes (meaning dont shut it down then start it right back up) and see if your issue is fixed.

Think of the scroll wheel reset (with or without stepping on the break) as a computer "reboot" and the power off setting in the menu as a computer "power off". Sometimes that fixes issues a reboot doesnt. I power the car off after every update when its in my garage, and let it sit in that state till I am ready to go somewhere, whenever that is.

Doing that, I havent had any issues others have had with firmware updates, etc. Just another thing you can try.

I had this problem today in my model Y. The sounds all stopped when I tried to answer a phone call. No sounds whatsoever, including turn signals. The microphone didn't "hear" anything either. A regular two-button reset fixed it, although I still had to manually reconnect bluetooth to my phone.

same thing happened to me too today. I think it maybe related to a bug in the recent update
I am now getting the same problem on my MS. No recent software update to blame as the car has been stable on current SW for a while (2020.48.37.1).

When the car first wakes from a deep sleep there is no sound from any audio source, no sound from indicators (though they do work), homelink, etc. Steering wheel re-boot brings it back to life but this problem seems to be recurring each time the car completely shuts down.

Is this a likely symptom of impending eMMC failure?

I am now getting the same problem on my MS. No recent software update to blame as the car has been stable on current SW for a while (2020.48.37.1).

When the car first wakes from a deep sleep there is no sound from any audio source, no sound from indicators (though they do work), homelink, etc. Steering wheel re-boot brings it back to life but this problem seems to be recurring each time the car completely shuts down.

Is this a likely symptom of impending eMMC failure?

That might be a question better asked in the model S forums, since model 3s dont currently suffer from that problem.

I get odd audio problems IF I have Sentry Mode set on, as in this screen:
74DCF273-57A6-4D46-97A3-4BBF8D5B9FEF.jpeg

Sound problems range from phantom volume changes to losing phone Bluetooth audio to having no sound of any kind, including the cars beeps and warnings.

I keep the above setting off and the sound problems don’t happen. It means I have to enable Sentry Mode manually when I want it.

My Model 3 is from June 2020. The most recent update still has the problem. I have been experimenting again this last week. Still a problem.

I had no media sound on my M3 for several days. The navigation audio and blinkers were working fine. I tried a soft reboot and hard reboot, still no sound for the radio or movies.

I fixed it by going to the Boombox in the Toybox and toggling the "Play Current Media" button to play sound outside the car then inside.
Amazing!! I just had this problem and was so frustrated.

The fix you mentioned worked for me,
Thank you !!! Now to cancel that service appt.

Reactions: DrChaos
I had no media sound on my M3 for several days. The navigation audio and blinkers were working fine. I tried a soft reboot and hard reboot, still no sound for the radio or movies.

I fixed it by going to the Boombox in the Toybox and toggling the "Play Current Media" button to play sound outside the car then inside.

I can't believe this really worked.

Had my windshield replaced and had no audio after I got the car back.

Tried everything I've done in the past and nothing was working... played audio through the boombox, switched back, and blammo, audio was back.

Crazy.

I tried turning off sentry mode on mine just now and no love. Its been months without audio

I also tried the boombox function, except I don't have a boom box, as my car is a 2018.

I have as service appointment at the end of the month and I am going to ask for a new MCU since the one that they replaced less than a year ago isn't working again.

Update on this, I had service look at it, tell me to wait 1-2 updates which did not help.

I made another Service appointment 2 months later and the issue ended up being the overhead module that houses the dome lights, and microphone. Service replaced the front and rear units and everything works nice now! Total cost about $270.

Reactions: adayley