Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sound from front door speakers, rear speakers and subwoofer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my story with these annoying issues so far:

I'm experiencing this problem since almost 2 years now on my 2019 M3P, it all started once I got my car back from a Tesla-authorized bodyshop after somebody hit my car in the rear right while parked (I had sentry disabled at my home, so sadly couldn't figure out who did it without any footage)

So I got my car back, cosmetic damage fixed pretty much perfectly, but after I noticed the audio issues, I took it straight back to the bodyshop, they checked it out and re-plugged all the relevant connectors (or so they say), but to no avail.
So I booked a visit at my SC, but literally 1 day before the appointment it decides to randomly start working again and continues to do so.

Fast forward to last year, entire audio keeps cutting out with a periodic popping/crackling sound every now and then, but only for a few seconds. After the popping noises, all the speakers connected to the rear amp stop working, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a few minutes, or even days, but always came back on.

For unrelated issues I booked another appointment at the SC, included the audio problems in the report though. Since everything was working fine for the period the car was at the SC and the mechanics couldn't reproduce the issues I was having, I was sent on my way again, my audio still being broken.

Fast forward to this current week, the car is starting to have the same issues again, this time very severely. Currently over a week with only dash audio and its bugging me really bad. So I have another SC appointment next week, I just hope the issue persists until then so they can finally debug and fix it.

Today I also tried disconnecting the 12V battery completely, following the MPP tutorial that @TFSMotorsport linked, re-plugging the connectors on the amp while fully powered off, but that did absolutely nothing.

Based on the various posts/threads in this as well as other forums, I suspect the amp is fried now, but I have no idea why it kept working for so long and then dying again. I saw absolutely no correlation between software versions, temperature, doing a touchscreen reboot (with or without brakepedal pressed), or the recent 12V hard-reset. Literally nothing I tried was able to directly restore the audio, it was always completely random.

Here's my story with these annoying issues so far:

I'm experiencing this problem since almost 2 years now on my 2019 M3P, it all started once I got my car back from a Tesla-authorized bodyshop after somebody hit my car in the rear right while parked (I had sentry disabled at my home, so sadly couldn't figure out who did it without any footage)

So I got my car back, cosmetic damage fixed pretty much perfectly, but after I noticed the audio issues, I took it straight back to the bodyshop, they checked it out and re-plugged all the relevant connectors (or so they say), but to no avail.
So I booked a visit at my SC, but literally 1 day before the appointment it decides to randomly start working again and continues to do so.

Fast forward to last year, entire audio keeps cutting out with a periodic popping/crackling sound every now and then, but only for a few seconds. After the popping noises, all the speakers connected to the rear amp stop working, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a few minutes, or even days, but always came back on.

For unrelated issues I booked another appointment at the SC, included the audio problems in the report though. Since everything was working fine for the period the car was at the SC and the mechanics couldn't reproduce the issues I was having, I was sent on my way again, my audio still being broken.

Fast forward to this current week, the car is starting to have the same issues again, this time very severely. Currently over a week with only dash audio and its bugging me really bad. So I have another SC appointment next week, I just hope the issue persists until then so they can finally debug and fix it.

Today I also tried disconnecting the 12V battery completely, following the MPP tutorial that @TFSMotorsport linked, re-plugging the connectors on the amp while fully powered off, but that did absolutely nothing.

Based on the various posts/threads in this as well as other forums, I suspect the amp is fried now, but I have no idea why it kept working for so long and then dying again. I saw absolutely no correlation between software versions, temperature, doing a touchscreen reboot (with or without brakepedal pressed), or the recent 12V hard-reset. Literally nothing I tried was able to directly restore the audio, it was always completely random.
You could install an audio recording app on your phone or some other device to capture what it sounds like when it's happening. Then when you book the appointment you can demonstrate what you're hearing.

When I took mine in the first time, the service mode was able to hide the problem, enough to confuse the mechanics.

They told me that they couldn't fix it, but also that it was working, since they heard the subwoofers while in service mode. Out of service mode, the audio was still broken.

You could install an audio recording app on your phone or some other device to capture what it sounds like when it's happening. Then when you book the appointment you can demonstrate what you're hearing.
I did that once before, recorded the audio as well as the screen showing the eCall error message, but since the errors were gone once I was at the SC, the techs weren't able to replicate and/or fix anything.

But hey whaddaya know: My audio once again decided to fix itself on Saturday. Plus yesterday my SC called and asked for timestamps of the issues for the techs to look at, so I then gave to them (essentially the entire last week) The guy on the phone then went on to tell me that if the problems aren't occurring at the exact time I drive into the SC, they won't be able to fix anything.

The next time it malfunctions I'm just gonna head straight to the SC, go inside while leave my door open so to not even give the car the chance to turn off and demand that they take a look at it. I don't see any other way, especially with the way Tesla handles their lean & cost-effective (for them) service.

Reactions: OliverM3
Hi I’ve got same issue on m3 LR
I bought the car with this issue thinking that it will be easy fix, but after doing research took my model 3 tesla SC and they quoted me £1667 for computer replacement but also said that they never experienced this issue before, does anyone knows what exactly fails on the computer main board maybe some components needs replacing/resoldering which would be an easy fix
Diagnostic is A2B network is down from main board (car computer)

Hi I’ve got same issue on m3 LR
I bought the car with this issue thinking that it will be easy fix, but after doing research took my model 3 tesla SC and they quoted me £1667 for computer replacement but also said that they never experienced this issue before, does anyone knows what exactly fails on the computer main board maybe some components needs replacing/resoldering which would be an easy fix
Diagnostic is A2B network is down from main board (car computer)
Board level soldering/component replacement on the FSD computer isn't easy by any means.

However check first if the interior microphone replacement might fx it, that was the issue with mine. It is part of the dome light assembly.

After I had my Model 3 in for some service, I experienced a "No audio" scenario. Tried rebooting a couple of times, no success. I did more testing. The navigation voice WAS coming through the speakers. There was some other audio coming through the speakers, car warnings, etc. if I remember correctly. I couldn't get any music to play after trying almost everything I could think of. I usually alternate between my USB stick and the streaming audio...I was trying different things to see what was going on. I was able to successfully make a bluetooth cell phone call inside the car. That audio was fine on the car speakers.

As soon as I hit the red phone icon on the car screen to disconnect the phone call, the stereo audio immediately came back on. It's worked fine ever since....Give it a try...

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Board level soldering/component replacement on the FSD computer isn't easy by any means.

However check first if the interior microphone replacement might fx it, that was the issue with mine. It is part of the dome light assembly.
Many thanks for advice because I’ve changed mine (microphone, dome lights, sos switch assembly) and everything works now got sound from doors and microphone what a joy thanks again

Reactions: Vines
Many thanks for advice because I’ve changed mine (microphone, dome lights, sos switch assembly) and everything works now got sound from doors and microphone what a joy thanks again
Seems like this failure is an intermittent one, but the ket to me was that you were having problems with the disconnecting/reconnecting. One of my symptoms was the microphone icon would be stuck on, as if I had pressed the right scroll wheel permanently. The only way to cancel it was to press the green mic icon on the screen.

At this point in the failure, my lack of sound from the door speakers, became a total lack of sound. Even blinker and FSD audio didn't work.

Service tech says moving the subwoofer/amplifier caused the computer to short. Computer needs replacement- not covered under warranty. Just a PSA--please disconnect your battery if you plan on moving your subwoofer.

View attachment 811198
Hi,
I had similar symptoms occur spontaneously in my 18 m3lr at 68k miles. I hadn't messed with audio system previously.
However 9 months (and 8k miles?) earlier, the entire audio system failed - all speakers, sat-nav, turn signal audio indicators. I took it to Tesla for a fix and I believe they replaced the front amplifier 9 months ago because...they just told me that the rear amplifier was faulty and dirty and replaced it.
Apparently there was some type of short-circuitry stemming from the right rear tail light (which apparently sits overhead the rear amp) and a water leak into the taillight assembly. It took the Tesla techs 2 days to figure this out and I think they were simply swapping mechanical parts out to see what could get the system working, mainly because their first attempt at diagnosis sounded pretty iffy.
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_3927.jpg
    IMG_3927.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 191
This exact issue has happened on every model 3 I have had (2018, 2020, and 2021). The last time it happened I was in the car wash and the sub/back speakers went out. It usually goes away on its own. I have chalked this up to being a common Tesla issue.

This exact issue has happened on every model 3 I have had (2018, 2020, and 2021). The last time it happened I was in the car wash and the sub/back speakers went out. It usually goes away on its own. I have chalked this up to being a common Tesla issue.
Mine exactly happened when i went to car wash yesterday.. what is the fix for this? Please let me know. I tried reconnecting amp wires and reset car but no luck

Mine exactly happened when i went to car wash yesterday.. what is the fix for this? Please let me know. I tried reconnecting amp wires and reset car but no luck
All my speakers go out except the front ones after going through the car wash and/or jamming out for a while. The clicking comes and go at random. I just ignore it and it goes back to normal in a few minutes or a couple of drives.

BTW this has been on 5 model 3s (2018-2021). I just consider it a character of the car now.

All my speakers go out except the front ones after going through the car wash and/or jamming out for a while. The clicking comes and go at random. I just ignore it and it goes back to normal in a few minutes or a couple of drives.

BTW this has been on 5 model 3s (2018-2021). I just consider it a character of the car now.
Yep this has happened to me twice now using a touchless wash. Since it's too cold in IL to hand wash, I use a touchless in the winter to keep the car cleaner.

Last winter was fine, but this is the second of either 4 or 5 washes this winter where the audio dropped (except front dash speakers). I am also getting errors with my left turn signal that appear in the service menu, though every time I've checked the light it is working fine.

My car got hit (drivers side, mostly rear door) last fall, and I got it back in November fully repaired. They did a good job repairing, but I think they may have broken some seals somewhere and now I'm seeing this issue. I know the rear bumper was removed, and I'm sure the taillights were as well.

I did inspect today after my wash (where the audio acted up and the rear left turn signal light appeared in the service menu) and I did see droplets of water behind the trunk fabric on both rear corners of the car.

Not really sure what to do for the time being. I'm going to see if audio comes back tomorrow (it was back the next day last time it happened), and if it doesn't I may request service, though there's probably not much they can do.

Would be nice to find where it's coming in and seal it better. Though, I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue

Same issue here. My 2019 RWD-LR went in for hail damage and I got it back with rear subwoofer and speakers not working. Finally took it in yesterday to tesla Service and today they tell me they have to change the MCU @ $2000!!! WTF...whatever happened to adding fuses to these advanced cars?
First real expense on the Tesla, but damn it hurts!
And ofcourse the body shop (Tesla certified) denies having touched the subwoofer!