Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sound in web browser? Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first time today I attempted to use the built-in web browser to play a couple websites with sound. So far no audio comes out of it. I've tried the spotify web interface, videos on cnet, plex, and various other embedded video content on websites. The super strange thing is it DOES work if i go to abettertheater.com select fullscreen then go to something like plex from there. I also noticed it made me login again so it's not sharing the cache from the "main" browser.

The browser would be far more useful to me if sound did come out of it but I don't want to bang my head against the wall endlessly if it just doesn't? I've tried the steering wheel button reset procedure as well as turning the car off from safety, no luck. Model s plaid 2022 latest software release.

...super strange...
I wouldn't call that "normal" but a Tesla browser has never allowed audio since I first get a Tesla in 2012 or for the past 10 years.

As you found out, you can actually go through some hoops and discover that it can indeed support sound.

My guess: It doesn't want browser distraction while driving.

Reactions: Bleo
I have been able to watch TV on the browser with sound through the DishAnywhere website. Now, Dish says the browser doesn't support the site anymore, and I have no sound from the browser on other websites. This must have been due to a recent feature "enhancement" by Tesla. Evidently, you can only use the multimedia sites Tesla provides in the Theatre section. Maybe a future update will restore lost functionality. 😳

Reactions: dthomas658 and Bleo
IMO they don't want or care about anything that isn't developed by Tesla. The entertainment interface and the internet w/o sound are never gonna change. Think about how EASY it would be to add say... Apple car or Android auto so they wouldn't even need the internet.. you can use your phone. But they won't do that cause it's not theirs. It's very Appleish... it's our way or too bad. But the car farts.