Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No spare tire caused a huge inconvenience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I was down in Miami for work this week and on my way home Friday I got a flat tire near West Palm. I figured no big deal. I’ll just use Tesla’s free road side assistance to get a tow to the nearest tire store, get a quick patch on my flat tire or worst case if my tire couldn’t be patched, I would just buy a new tire and be on my way in under a couple hours. I got towed to the closest Firestone and after they inspected by my tire they informed me that it has a tear down the sidewall and there is no way to repair it. I said, “OK, so give a new tire.”

They said “Well sir, we don’t carry your tires or any tires of the same size that would fit on your car. We can order one and it will be here by Monday.”

Whoa! Did he just say Monday? It’s now Friday evening. I’ve been out of town for work all week and I need to get home to my family and so I can enjoy my weekend. Waiting around in a hotel on Green Acres, Florida is a non-starter.

So I called around to at least 2 dozen other tires stores in the area and heard the same story from all of them. Some said they maybe could get me a tire my Saturday midday but it wouldn’t be the same Michelin tire. It would just be another brand of the same size. But the catch was that I would have to get my car towed again to one of the tire stores that could get me a tire by Saturday afternoon.

So I asked for a supervisor at the Firestone that I towed to and begged and pleaded with him to see if there was any way that they could get me a sufficient tire before Monday. He made some calls but still the best he could do was Saturday mid day and again he couldn’t get me the same Michelin Pilot Sport 4S until Monday but he could get a tire of the same size but with a lower speed rating by Saturday midday.

So because my Tesla didn’t have a spare tire. I had to spend the night in Green Acres, FL. I had to get an Uber to a hotel. Get another Uber back to Firestone just now and my Tesla is finally about ready. I should have been home yesterday late afternoon but instead I won’t get home until today late afternoon. I had to pay for hotel, meals, and Ubers on top of the new tire and half my weekend is now gone.

And on top of not having a spare and having such a rare special order tire, Firestone told me that the tear in the tire, on my 3 month old Tesla, was caused by a manufacturers defect.

What a nightmare! I think what I going to do to prevent a repeat of this nightmare in the future is to order a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire since the tire I got from Firestone is something different. They I’ll have no local Firestone replace the new tire I got today with the Michelin and then I will keep the extra off brand tire in my trunk whenever I’m on driving out of town and don’t need my rear trunk space.

What I did was contact tesla free roadside assistance and ask them for a spare tire. They put a spare tire on my car, put my bad one in the trunk, and away I went.

Did you ask for a spare tire when you contacted tesla roadside? The "towed to the local shop" thing was sort of on you, unless tesla didnt have a loaner tire.

I have (unfortunately) had to get 2 loaner tires this past year from tesla due to hitting potholes with my 20 inch rims, and both times it was extremely painless.

What I did was contact tesla free roadside assistance and ask them for a spare tire. They put a spare tire on my car, put my bad one in the trunk, and away I went.

Did you ask for a spare tire when you contacted tesla roadside? The "towed to the local shop" thing was sort of on you, unless tesla didnt have a loaner tire.

I have (unfortunately) had to get 2 loaner tires this past year from tesla due to hitting potholes with my 20 inch rims, and both times it was extremely painless.
yes, good point. I did this same thing a couple years ago down in Merced Ca visiting the son at college. Tesla got me a spare tire and after I got back home (150 miles later) I go my tire replaced and took the spare to the local service center. It took 2 hours for them to get to me, but then I was on my way.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I am a bit surprised about the tire size not being available. Maybe it is a local thing. When I recently ordered a new set of tires, the Discount Tire franchise got them for a local warehouse in the same day and had 3 different manufacture choices. Maybe it is a good idea to carry a spare. I haven't had a spare for any of my cars in the last 15 years. Fortunately only this one incident in 30 years of driving.

Yeah, not something you think too much about until the unfortunate happens. Generally, you think, you can patch or get a replacement. But, that may not work if the tire store is closed and it's a long weekend. It gets worse if you have an unusual size tire.

I have a 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I was down in Miami for work this week and on my way home Friday I got a flat tire near West Palm. I figured no big deal. I’ll just use Tesla’s free road side assistance to get a tow to the nearest tire store, get a quick patch on my flat tire or worst case if my tire couldn’t be patched, I would just buy a new tire and be on my way in under a couple hours. I got towed to the closest Firestone and after they inspected by my tire they informed me that it has a tear down the sidewall and there is no way to repair it. I said, “OK, so give a new tire.”

They said “Well sir, we don’t carry your tires or any tires of the same size that would fit on your car. We can order one and it will be here by Monday.”

Whoa! Did he just say Monday? It’s now Friday evening. I’ve been out of town for work all week and I need to get home to my family and so I can enjoy my weekend. Waiting around in a hotel on Green Acres, Florida is a non-starter.

So I called around to at least 2 dozen other tires stores in the area and heard the same story from all of them. Some said they maybe could get me a tire my Saturday midday but it wouldn’t be the same Michelin tire. It would just be another brand of the same size. But the catch was that I would have to get my car towed again to one of the tire stores that could get me a tire by Saturday afternoon.

So I asked for a supervisor at the Firestone that I towed to and begged and pleaded with him to see if there was any way that they could get me a sufficient tire before Monday. He made some calls but still the best he could do was Saturday mid day and again he couldn’t get me the same Michelin Pilot Sport 4S until Monday but he could get a tire of the same size but with a lower speed rating by Saturday midday.

So because my Tesla didn’t have a spare tire. I had to spend the night in Green Acres, FL. I had to get an Uber to a hotel. Get another Uber back to Firestone just now and my Tesla is finally about ready. I should have been home yesterday late afternoon but instead I won’t get home until today late afternoon. I had to pay for hotel, meals, and Ubers on top of the new tire and half my weekend is now gone.

And on top of not having a spare and having such a rare special order tire, Firestone told me that the tear in the tire, on my 3 month old Tesla, was caused by a manufacturers defect.

What a nightmare! I think what I going to do to prevent a repeat of this nightmare in the future is to order a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire since the tire I got from Firestone is something different. They I’ll have no local Firestone replace the new tire I got today with the Michelin and then I will keep the extra off brand tire in my trunk whenever I’m on driving out of town and don’t need my rear trunk space.

Your experience sucked. Been there.

No offence, but this experience didn’t happen because you had no spare.
It happened because you didn’t plan for a flat tire.

When I bought my Tesla, I knew there was no spare tire.
Same thing with my previous BMW. No spare.
What you do, is plan ahead.
-Tire repair kit (even with foam lining, the plug will work in a pinch).
-Spare tire
-Separate road side assistance AAA or CAA
Or a combination of the above.

I’ve never heard of a manufacturer defect causing a side wall tear. ?

What you do, is plan ahead.
-Tire repair kit (even with foam lining, the plug will work in a pinch).
-Spare tire
-Separate road side assistance AAA or CAA
Or a combination of the above.

Great advice. I'm getting the Modern Spare. I've had a flat (blown sidewall from pothole damage) in an area with no mobile phone service and was luckily enough my VW R32 had a spare tire...

I have a plug kit and compressor, but thinking about getting a Modern Spare as well (for longer road trips) - I just wish the sub trunk or the frunk were large enough to store an extra wheel :( seems it will take up a lot of the main trunk space, especially awkward if I have a bike inside the car.

There have been some who have hung the spare tire underneath the area of the rear speakers, using tow straps or something similar. I'll look for the thread. Having had a sidewall blowout from a pothole in area with no cell service has made me cautious, especially on road trips...

Reactions: house9
Tesla Roadside Assistance offers wheel loaners - at least for the Model S. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be available for the Model 3 as well.

Basically, Tesla Roadside Assistance will find a local tow company that will drive out to you with a spare wheel and tire. You then just have to bring your wheel back to a local SC after your personal fire is repaired or replaced to return the loaner wheel.

It’s odd no one mentioned this as an option for you. Would have been the best way to address your situation.

Reactions: jjrandorin