Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Spare Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In light of the model 3 not having a spare wheel. What are you folks carrying in your model 3 to cover you in the event of having a puncture? In a way I'm surprised Tesla don't use run flat tyres, which came to the rescue a few times in my last car.

In light of the model 3 not having a spare wheel. What are you folks carrying in your model 3 to cover you in the event of having a puncture? In a way I'm surprised Tesla don't use run flat tyres, which came to the rescue a few times in my last car.

Ten days ago I ran over a stone or something in the road in the middle of nowhere in the Lake District. It tore a hole about 1cm across in my near side front tyre, which of course deflated instantly. No spare wheel, no repair kit (the hole was probably too big for that anyway) and no phone signal. So I took a chance and drove the 15 miles back to our hotel in Braithwaite, sometimes at 40mph. The next day I drove a couple of miles into Keswick. The deflated tyre coped remarkably well. Apart from the slightly heavy steering I wouldn’t have known I had a flat.

I have an M3P with the 235/35 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.

Reactions: Hagrid
Ten days ago I ran over a stone or something in the road in the middle of nowhere in the Lake District. It tore a hole about 1cm across in my near side front tyre, which of course deflated instantly. No spare wheel, no repair kit (the hole was probably too big for that anyway) and no phone signal. So I took a chance and drove the 15 miles back to our hotel in Braithwaite, sometimes at 40mph. The next day I drove a couple of miles into Keswick. The deflated tyre coped remarkably well. Apart from the slightly heavy steering I wouldn’t have known I had a flat.

That was brave! Sure the alloy isn't ruined?

That is a truly remarkable story! The last time I tried driving on a fully deflated tyre it lasted about a quarter of a mile driving at little more than walking pace. Normally the friction caused by the compressed sidewall causes the tyre to smoke and eventually split apart. Of course the downside of driving more than a few feet usually means that there’s no hope of a repair. Run flat tyres have some lubricant in there.

A multi power source Dewalt DCC018N compressor (already had the batteries but its gone up considerably since I purchased) thats been regularly used, a set of off season wheels in the garage that can double as an emergency spare and AA membership.

I keep meaning to get a plug kit though. Might use my $50 TeslaFi amazon.com voucher for that.

Last edited:
It was more a case of necessity! The wheel hit the stone with an almighty thump, and given the reports on this forum in the past that the 20” alloys are quite fragile I’m surprised it survived. The tyre company inspected it thoroughly though and I’ve had no problems since.
Tends to be potholes that wreck them since the impact is transmitted through to the rim. If the stone hit the middle away from the rim it would be ok

• Informative
Reactions: Type2 and Neilio
FWIW I got a spare from Modern Tire in the US for my Model S - in Australia we are often a long way from anywhere with no phone signal and despite the cost it's worth it. I keep it behind the passenger seat, strapped in. It doesn't nag.......

If you don't want/can't plug the problem then wouldn't something like this be much cheaper than that one from Tesla?
Holts 400ml Tyreweld Puncture Repair | Wilko
The tyres have a foam lining I believe that interferes with that stuff. Not sure how the Tesla stuff differs but apparently it does. I assume though that the tyre would be a write off if you used any sealant since you would never be able to clean it out due to the foam

The tyres have a foam lining I believe that interferes with that stuff. Not sure how the Tesla stuff differs but apparently it does. I assume though that the tyre would be a write off if you used any sealant since you would never be able to clean it out due to the foam
They need the foam lining to reduce road noise. Something specific to EV as, in an ICE vehicle the hum would be drowned out by the hum of the engine.

I'm not 100% convinced it's that effective but they seem to think so.