Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No speed control, autopilot, car only sees paint line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About once every two weeks at random my car only sees paint lines nothing else. No other cars mailboxes barrels and will not do autopilot or cruise. It randomly comes and goes and no reboot fixes it. Anyone know what is going on?

About once every two weeks at random my car only sees paint lines nothing else. No other cars mailboxes barrels and will not do autopilot or cruise. It randomly comes and goes and no reboot fixes it. Anyone know what is going on?

Yeah, it happens to me too. On some drives, the AP just refused to engage in places where it normally works 99% of the time.
The other day, it freaked out an hard disengaged on the highway whenever I would got close to cars that were throwing water spray with their tires. It wasn't even raining, just the mist from the tires was confusing the cameras. Sort of makes sense as a yet another AP failure mode.

I'm not too worried, since I've learned to not rely on AP for much of anything.

YMMV,
a

Do you think a camera calibration would help?

I have 38K miles and 3+ years on my TM3P. If the cameras are still not calibrated, it's certainly not for the lack of opportunities ;-)

I've stopped keeping track of all the AP error conditions. And none have improved materially over the 3 years of OTA updates.
I did notice a spike in disengagements and failures to engage after Tesla stopped relying on the radar input and went 100% camera-only. I wish they didn't do that and gave me an option to selective NOT update AP firmware and revert back to radar enabled code branch. Alas, it's an all-or-nothing update logic, so it is what it is.

a

P.S.: I just reread my previous message and wish I could go back and fix all the spelling errors. Couldn't figure out how to edit via an app, and now am outside of the 60 minute edit/spellcheck window.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
My car still sees stuff. It does not show lights at all but when a light turns green the car chimes (green light chime). So I know the cameras see stuff. Paint lines show. No cars, signage, mailboxes - nothing else. I have parked my car went left 5 minutes and came back and worked before but stopped. I THINK every time it fixed itself was over night - no random fixes when I walk away for a few minutes or hours then come back.

My car still sees stuff. It does not show lights at all but when a light turns green the car chimes (green light chime). So I know the cameras see stuff. Paint lines show. No cars, signage, mailboxes - nothing else. I have parked my car went left 5 minutes and came back and worked before but stopped. I THINK every time it fixed itself was over night - no random fixes when I walk away for a few minutes or hours then come back.
You need to make an appointment for service. I can almost guarantee it's having lost frames from one of the cameras, which disables autopilot. Once you make the appointment they'll run the diagnostics remotely.

Sometimes a reset requires the car to sleep, before it takes. The overnights allow the car to sleep, while walking away for a few minutes or hours, may not let the car sleep. Doing a full reboot, allows the car to sleep.

I have seen this happen, but generally quite rarely (twice in the two years I have had the car). But a fortnight or so ago it happened every day for three days running; I was about to open a service request when it suddenly self-resolved on the fourth day.

Losing all of the automation really does remind one of just how much the car is doing with its driver assists. I was reminded of that scene in Back to the Future II: "You mean you have to use your hands‽" :)