Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Summon Feature for Canadian Model 3!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as discussed on other forums Canadian Model 3 will not get summon feature untill tesla release the fob as per canadian Regulations ....that makes me wonder to know that under current rules there will be advanced summon feature availiable for Canada even if American cars get it sometimes in August . kinda sad

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Anto
We paid for this feature.

No we didn't -- since there was a big caveat that you agreed to, when you clicked the AP button. Yes, it said this:

and be summoned to and from your garage.

But you also agreed to this -- shortly after the above is stated:

Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval.

There's no regulatory approval for summons in Canada without a physical fob, at least from what I've read. And we never paid for anything that is not regulatory approved -- we agreed to that in writing.

It's no big deal to me, even though I have a tight garage and it would be useful, but I've read about too many accidents while using it to have trust in it. I'd rather squeeze in the car and drive it myself, until it's fool proof. It also keeps me slim that way.

No we didn't -- since there was a big caveat that you agreed to, when you clicked the AP button. Yes, it said this:

There's no regulatory approval for summons in Canada without a physical fob, at least from what I've read. And we never paid for anything that is not regulatory approved -- we agreed to that in writing.

It's no big deal to me, even though I have a tight garage and it would be useful, but I've read about too many accidents while using it to have trust in it. I'd rather squeeze in the car and drive it myself, until it's fool proof. It also keeps me slim that way.
Right. But all Tesla has to do is either give us a FOB, or figure out the legal hurdle of why the phone as a key thing cannot act like a fob as per legal requirements.

We DID pay for this feature and it IS legal. Just a minor issue to be worked out with Transport Canada.

Like i said.. i have no problem in waiting.. but to not get it at all.. full stop.. hmmm.. idk about that

But all Tesla has to do is either give us a FOB, or figure out the legal hurdle of why the phone as a key thing cannot act like a fob as per legal requirements.

No where in the agreement does it say that Tesla has to pay for hardware upgrades to comply with regulatory requirements. I guess they could make it work with a fob, then charge us for a fob, but they don't even have to do that. They should, and it should be a free fob, but I'm just dealing with the legal requirement -- not the ethical one.

We DID pay for this feature...

Again, we paid for it subject to regulatory approval.

... and it IS legal.

What? If it was legal (or regulatory approved) then there would be no need for a fob and we wouldn't even be having this discussion. So even though you put "IS" in CAPS, I need something more than caps to convince me it's legal.

Just a minor issue to be worked out with Transport Canada.

So now we're back to it being not legal or regulatory approved? You're hard to keep up with.

...but I paid for it!! Oh, yeah, I didn't. My car doesn't have summon. YET. What I paid for was the Model 3, which is an amazing car. As for summon, I hardly ever use it on my S. Sure, some find it very useful, but also sure we will get it as OTA feature if we don't have it yet. I wish some of these speculators would quit. If you don't think the car is worth it, don't buy it.

Reactions: Gamekaze
Are you sure about this? The configurator lists summon as an included feature
upload_2018-6-30_17-47-14.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: akidesir
No where in the agreement does it say that Tesla has to pay for hardware upgrades to comply with regulatory requirements. I guess they could make it work with a fob, then charge us for a fob, but they don't even have to do that. They should, and it should be a free fob, but I'm just dealing with the legal requirement -- not the ethical one.

Again, we paid for it subject to regulatory approval.

What? If it was legal (or regulatory approved) then there would be no need for a fob and we wouldn't even be having this discussion. So even though you put "IS" in CAPS, I need something more than caps to convince me it's legal.

So now we're back to it being not legal or regulatory approved? You're hard to keep up with.
Sigh....

Summon IS legal in Canada... both the model s and x have it. CAPS lol.

There appears to be a technicality over the use of the phone being considered a FOB. So Tesla will have to communicate further with Transport Canada.. or go the FOB route (which considering all the issues people keep having.. including myself.. would be a good way to go)

Keeping up now?

Could Tesla show us deny of approval of summon from Canadian government? No .

I think Tesla has not even asked government if they could use phone as fob.

Reactions: McFlurri
It has been couple releases since 21.x, any update from Tesla summon feature for Model 3 in Canada?

Hmmm, makes me re think whether EAP is something worth buying... for me at least. Reading through the owners manual and I'm not convinced EAP is worth it without summon, and potentially smart summon. Sure summon isn't going to make or break sales of the car, but if they ever do advanced summon where the car drives in a non straight line, then that would add a feature I would use.

Also, the fob route would be a good option regardless. I have no problem with a key fob (as a backup to the phone). I have keys for my house and work anyway, plus a model 3 shaped fob would just be cool (jealous of model s owners....does the x come with a fob shaped like the x?)

Kind of on topic, for those that haven't purchased EAP. On a recent call with tesla the guy I was speaking to told me I have 30 days after taking delivery of the car to add EAP and still pay the reduced rate. Since I'll probably get it in October that gives until December to sort out this summon thing. If it is working in Canada by then, that will probably be enough to push me to get EAP....

Hmmm, makes me re think whether EAP is something worth buying... for me at least. Reading through the owners manual and I'm not convinced EAP is worth it without summon, and potentially smart summon. Sure summon isn't going to make or break sales of the car, but if they ever do advanced summon where the car drives in a non straight line, then that would add a feature I would use.

Also, the fob route would be a good option regardless. I have no problem with a key fob (as a backup to the phone). I have keys for my house and work anyway, plus a model 3 shaped fob would just be cool (jealous of model s owners....does the x come with a fob shaped like the x?)

Kind of on topic, for those that haven't purchased EAP. On a recent call with tesla the guy I was speaking to told me I have 30 days after taking delivery of the car to add EAP and still pay the reduced rate. Since I'll probably get it in October that gives until December to sort out this summon thing. If it is working in Canada by then, that will probably be enough to push me to get EAP....

Not really missing summon here. Perhaps I don’t see the utility of it but comparing it to using autopilot on a recent 1700 km road trip, I could care less if I ever got summon. Autopilot was absolutely huge in taking that extra level of stress from long distance driving for me and quite relaxing actually.

And it really shines when you hit stop and go traffic. It makes driving through that bs bearable.

It’s a lot for an upgrade, understandably, but if you don’t see yourself doing much long distance driving or heavy traffic commuting then I wouldn’t personally get it. If anything, Autopilot has made me want to take more road trips, as if the fun drive and absence of gas fillups weren’t reasons enough!

Sigh....
Summon IS legal in Canada... both the model s and x have it. CAPS lol.
There appears to be a technicality over the use of the phone being considered a FOB. So Tesla will have to communicate further with Transport Canada.. or go the FOB route (which considering all the issues people keep having.. including myself.. would be a good way to go)
Keeping up now?

No. It's hard to keep up with you since you keep moving the goal posts. But what you now try to eliminate by calling it a "technicality" is the issue. It's not allowed in Canada without a fob. Calling something a technicality doesn't take away its significance. The 3 has no fob so it has no summons.

Could Tesla show us deny of approval of summon from Canadian government? No .
I think Tesla has not even asked government if they could use phone as fob.

Why would Tesla not want to activate it? That makes no sense to me. I tend to believe what we are told (not that I believe everything Tesla tells us) -- that you need a fob in Canada according to our regs, just like we have to have a shut off beside our HPWC -- unlike regs in the States that allow you to rely on the fuse box. Fortunately, we can use the internet browser in Canada (in the S/X since the 3 doesn't have it) but you can't in places like Hong Kong or Australia, if I am correct. That's because of their regs. It's pretty simple actually and we all agreed to it contractually when we bought EAP.

No. It's hard to keep up with you since you keep moving the goal posts. But what you now try to eliminate by calling it a "technicality" is the issue. It's not allowed in Canada without a fob. Calling something a technicality doesn't take away its significance. The 3 has no fob so it has no summons.

Why would Tesla not want to activate it? That makes no sense to me. I tend to believe what we are told (not that I believe everything Tesla tells us) -- that you need a fob in Canada according to our regs, just like we have to have a shut off beside our HPWC -- unlike regs in the States that allow you to rely on the fuse box. Fortunately, we can use the internet browser in Canada (in the S/X since the 3 doesn't have it) but you can't in places like Hong Kong or Australia, if I am correct. That's because of their regs. It's pretty simple actually and we all agreed to it contractually when we bought EAP.

are we still on this after over a month long gap?......

I'm not moving the goal posts... SUMMON (not Summons), IS LEGAL. Period. if it was not legal, the Model S and X would not have it.

The "Technicality" comes from what is considered a FOB. Clearly at this time the government does not consider the Phone as Key to comply. Hopefully Tesla's new FOB is in fact the Model 3 FOB so Tesla can active Summon for Canadians. (Also to finally rid myself of the annoyance of not being able to consistently unlock my car)

are we still on this after over a month long gap?......

I'm not moving the goal posts... SUMMON (not Summons), IS LEGAL. Period. if it was not legal, the Model S and X would not have it.

The "Technicality" comes from what is considered a FOB. Clearly at this time the government does not consider the Phone as Key to comply. Hopefully Tesla's new FOB is in fact the Model 3 FOB so Tesla can active Summon for Canadians. (Also to finally rid myself of the annoyance of not being able to consistently unlock my car)

They both have it, but it's crap. Because of the need to have the FOB and phone engaged, it glitches badly. Apparently the US version is actually useful. If this is a feature that's going to make/break your buying decision then don't buy it.

They both have it, but it's crap. Because of the need to have the FOB and phone engaged, it glitches badly. Apparently the US version is actually useful. If this is a feature that's going to make/break your buying decision then don't buy it.

It's fob. It's a very old word, not an acronym.

I think many people are hoping that Tesla will sell fobs for the Model 3 even at an additional cost, so perhaps the issue will be resolved. Either that or you'll have to wait until the entire industry shifts to allowing access via smartphone so Bluetooth implementations will finally be fixed.

(This post was just an excuse to address a pet peeve.)

Reactions: jkirkwood001
So, just so clear about the need of a fob in Canada vs the US....does that mean with a model S or X you have to be very close to the car to activate summon in Canada? That does kind of cripple the feature...

I would think summon useful to pull the car out of the garage while I'm packing up for the morning and still in the house (like they show in the videos, which are obviously the US version).

So, even if they do give a fob and enable it in Canada, if that requires to be in line of sight of the car then it is pretty useless for my situation.