TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No Super Charger Planned for Orlando ?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Great Dane, Feb 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Great Dane

Great Dane Member

I was hoping for a supercharger in Orlando
    I have not found any info if one will be there in the near future

2. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

if true it is a surprising omission.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

People going to Orlando are usually staying there at least overnight. What Orlando needs is destination charging-- level 2 charging stations at hotels or even just 120V outlets would work for someone parking for a few nights. Superchargers are to get you somewhere else, there is no rush to charge when you are at your destination.

4. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

Tex, you are correct about how a good many people are staying in Orlando but it is also a major point for intrastate trips.
    orlando is the midpoint for getting from the Northern east coast of FLA to the gulf coast and it is also a where the FLA TPK which runs SE/NW and I 4 cross. for example it is about 125 miles from the st augustine SC to WDW from WDW it is about another 100 miles to St Pete. or clearwater. IMHO it should be on the short list for a SC

5. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

But I think one of the stated goals of supercharging is to facilitate travelers, not locals. Looks as if the plan for Florida is to cover the coasts.

6. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

I don't understand that thinking.
    At what point in your or Tesla's thinking does a "local" become a "traveller"?
    I live near Jacksonville FLA and I am planning to drive to Sarasota FLA does a trip like that change me from a local to a traveller?
    Distance from JAX to Sarasota 252+miles. Jax to Orlando about 125 mile, orlando to Sarasota 125+ miles.

7. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

With the planned Supercharger in Tampa, I don't think an Orlando unit is a needed priority. Port Orange to Tampa is easy, and then your trip to Sarasota will be simple. Last fall I took a trip from Tampa to Flagler Beach for a wedding. Left Tampa with 265 miles range and got to the Port Orange supercharger with around 105 miles left, all while traveling 70-75 on the trip up. Did the same on the way home.

If you are coming from the Jacksonville area, I'd charge at Port Orange, not St Augustine. Once the Tampa supercharger is on line (some time in 2014 we hope), you will have no problem reaching Sarasota (as well as the supercharger at Ft Meyers and, therefore, on to Naples). Until Tampa gets the supercharger, you could always stop by the Tampa Service Center (about 10 minutes away from I-75) and get a top off from their HPWC to get you to Sarasota.

there are several active forum members from Sarasota,e.g.Nigel and Larry, and I am sure they will comment re the best route from j-ville to Sarasota. I doubt it is through Clearwater!

A supercharger in Orlando would be nice, but I'd prefer to see one at I-10 and I-75 first.

8. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Then why is there a Supercharger in Las Vegas? Orlando should have one... Maybe not within WDW or by the convention center, but someplace in the metro area...

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

We (Florida locals) had confirmation last fall that Tesla is planning a Supercharger on the outskirts of Orlando. We haven't heard anything recently, but the way of these things is that planning/permits take a while and then there's a big flurry of activity and the SC is open for use.

- - - Updated - - -

^ This is the best route; slightly longer but faster than cross country. It's pretty easy to get from Port Orange to Sarasota with an 85kw pack (~170 miles).

10. Great Dane

Great Dane Member

Thank you everyone for the replies
    Makes you think what all is involved with building our electric charging infrastructure
    it is good tot know there is a strong possibility for one in Orlando

11. iffatall

iffatall Member

Actually I do not understand the need for a Las Vegas SC. I mean don't get me wrong, I am all for more SCs, but Las Vegas, I would guess, should have been pretty low in the list.

12. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

13. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

#13 Larry Chanin, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    Hi Steve,

I agree with your point of view. While it's true we received some preliminary indications from Tesla management that they were pursuing a Supercharger in the general Orlando area, for the reasons you mention a Supercharger in a destination like Orlando is less important than a transit location like Lake City, at least during the initial rollout of the network.

I do think that eventually we will see a Supercharger in the Orlando area.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Marc,

As Steve mentioned, although it's a long stretch between Sarasota and the Port Orange Supercharger, it's quite doable and I have done it without any problems in my P85.

The Tampa Supercharger is coming soon and will make traveling in 60 kWh batteries less challenging.

Larry

PS. If it's convenient let me know when you're planning on visisting Sarasota.

14. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

That and it is hard to get to the Grand Canyon/Hoover Dam without charging between there and Barstow.