Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No supercharging in Bakersfield CA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd still say the quickest path of least resistance right now is to buy or borrow a CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter.

Per Plugshare, there's a fair amount of CHAdeMO around there and between there and OC. I've charged for free using CCS at Strata Federal Credit Union | PlugShare (even though it should've cost me $, a minimal amount). I've used CCS side of Tejon Pass Rest Area - Southbound | PlugShare (also free) at least once but when I was there months ago, only 1 out of 4 DC FCs worked. It looks like it's still as bad or all 4 are broken. That free Tejon Pass charger bank is part of New Electric Vehicle Fast Chargers Now Available Along State Highways in Central California | Caltrans.

Maybe you can get EVgo to bolt CHAdeMO to Tesla adapters (Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging) to the side of their Bakersfield location.

Per Google and Plugshare, these are technically in Bakersfield:

Last edited:
You really need to plan out ahead and know how much local driving you can handle so you don't run out of power to say go to Tejon Ranch which is the only close supercharger south of Bakersfield.

There are _three_ superchargers closer to Bakersfield than Tejon Ranch and ample L2 charging all over the city proper.

Yes, it would be nice to have a central Bakersfield supercharger on SR 99. But it’s not a moonscape and any modern Tesla has more than enough range to handle things without a second thought.

• Love
Reactions: mociaf9 and Rocky_H
I grew up in Bakersfield and now moved to OC for my career. I frequently visit my parents there, it's just very interesting how there are no superchargers anywhere in Bakersfield. I gather it could be that, Bako is an oil town and EVs haven't been adopted as much in that city. Even my parents are giving me crap on buying a Tesla. There's something in the kern river water that the people are drinking or something.
Same here. About to head up this weekend for a funeral and the wife wants to take the Tesla. I’m like, nah:

1. No supercharger in town. A 30 minute round trip (each way) to charge will waste 20% of the charge!

2. Want a brick through the rear window or a key scratch down the side of the car?

The people there are proudly ignorant and emotionally susceptible to all kinds of manipulation. That’s why you could always get a COVID shot there - deep red county that believes the virus is a liberal hoax and would rather lose their $175k nursing or oil field job than get vaccinated…. To say I hate the local culture would be an understatement. Which is too bad, because it’s not a terrible place to live otherwise.

Last edited:
Same here. About to head up this weekend for a funeral and the wife wants to take the Tesla. I’m like, nah:

1. No supercharger in town. A 30 minute round trip (each way) to charge will waste 20% of the charge!

2. Want a brick through the rear window or a key scratch down the side of the car?

The people there are proudly ignorant and emotionally susceptible to all kinds of manipulation. That’s why you could always get a COVID shot there - deep red county that believes the virus is a liberal hoax and would rather lose their $175k nursing or oil field job than get vaccinated…. To say I hate the local culture would be an understatement. Which is too bad, because it’s not a terrible place to live otherwise.
I grew up in Southern California, and I moved to Fresno forty years ago. My best friend still lives in La Crescenta.

We meet for lunch at Luigi's every six weeks or so. I've never gotten a brick through my window or a key scratch. But your take on much of the population is spot on. (Although you omitted it is the home town of the House Minority Leader.) LOL

So, yes, a Supercharger near 99/58 would be great. And your comment about getting a vaccine in Bako is truth. The same best friend could not get an appointment for the vaccine a year ago anywhere in LA County for his 38-year-old son. But he found ample openings in Bakersfield for his son. So, they made it a father-son day and had a leisurely drive to and from LA County so his son could get a jab.