Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No TACC or Autopilot - Genuine issue or bad service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the rant! Tesla Model 3 LR - 71 Reg

So for about two weeks now my car has been unable to detect and display other vehicles on the screen, and because of this TACC and Autopilot no longer work. When trying to engage either of these an error pops onto the screen, when tapping the error it says to schedule a service appointment. So of course I did this!

The service rep (or whoever it is you chat with through the app) told me this was a software issue and repushed a software update to the car (2022.24.8 I think it was). This didn’t fix the issue and the service rep continued to tell me this is a software issue affecting loads of people and that we will have to wait weeks/months for a fix to be pushed. After searching around this forum and others I’m yet to see anyone else reporting this issue? I’ve also asked if they can roll back my software version to which I’m told this would void the warranty.

Today I got another update (2022.28.2) which i hoped might fix the issue but it did not. :(

So my questions are;

1. Does anyone else have this same issue as me as the service rep had indicated loads do?
  2. If so what info have you been told?
  3. Has anyone ever had their software version rolled back or has the chat rep lied to me?
I find it hard to believe that main features like these can just suddenly stop working on a large scale and we are expected to wait what could be months to get them back again :confused: I’m convinced it’s an issue with my car haha.

Attachments

• IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 966
  • IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG
    893.7 KB · Views: 197
My car (2017 S with 148,000 miles on the odometer) sporadically makes both TACC and AP/FSD unavailable for a day or so, but so far it has always self-corrected. I am convinced it is a heat issue somewhere since it always ends up fixing itself overnight once everything has cooled down. In the past week I have had two full days, one day per event, that CC and AP were unavailable. The headlights stay on constantly and I get no on-screen driving animations, only a static view of my car. Powering off the car and rebooting have zero effect on fixing the issue. I'm taking the car in this Friday for service, but they aren't too hopeful of fixing the issue since it most likely will be working fine when I take it in.

This has been happening off and on for the past 6 months in my car, across several software versions.

My car (2017 S with 148,000 miles on the odometer) sporadically makes both TACC and AP/FSD unavailable for a day or so, but so far it has always self-corrected. I am convinced it is a heat issue somewhere since it always ends up fixing itself overnight once everything has cooled down. In the past week I have had two full days, one day per event, that CC and AP were unavailable. The headlights stay on constantly and I get no on-screen driving animations, only a static view of my car. Powering off the car and rebooting have zero effect on fixing the issue. I'm taking the car in this Friday for service, but they aren't too hopeful of fixing the issue since it most likely will be working fine when I take it in.

This has been happening off and on for the past 6 months in my car, across several software versions.
Interesting, this seems very similar! Sometimes pulling out of the driveway I can see the flicker of a car that’s in the distance on the screen, but then nothing else the whole drive, so could possibly be something heat related, I never thought of that. Have service tried to tell you it’s software related or are they happy to take it in to take a look? They keep cancelling my service requests due to it being a 'software' issue so I can’t even get anyone to look at it.

On 24.x my visualisation shows all near traffic heading in the same direction. No visualisation of oncoming traffic, even on 28.1
I now have 28.2 but haven’t driven yet.
not visualising the car in front of you is not something that I’ve seen widely reported or experienced. Sounds like BS

Reactions: Overworked
Sorry for the rant! Tesla Model 3 LR - 71 Reg

So for about two weeks now my car has been unable to detect and display other vehicles on the screen, and because of this TACC and Autopilot no longer work. When trying to engage either of these an error pops onto the screen, when tapping the error it says to schedule a service appointment. So of course I did this!

The service rep (or whoever it is you chat with through the app) told me this was a software issue and repushed a software update to the car (2022.24.8 I think it was). This didn’t fix the issue and the service rep continued to tell me this is a software issue affecting loads of people and that we will have to wait weeks/months for a fix to be pushed. After searching around this forum and others I’m yet to see anyone else reporting this issue? I’ve also asked if they can roll back my software version to which I’m told this would void the warranty.

Today I got another update (2022.28.2) which i hoped might fix the issue but it did not. :(

So my questions are;

1. Does anyone else have this same issue as me as the service rep had indicated loads do?
  2. If so what info have you been told?
  3. Has anyone ever had their software version rolled back or has the chat rep lied to me?
I find it hard to believe that main features like these can just suddenly stop working on a large scale and we are expected to wait what could be months to get them back again :confused: I’m convinced it’s an issue with my car haha.
I had the same problem, but with 24.8. They resent the update and that fixed it for me.

I had this issue, posted about it a while back. Solved by allowing the car to fully go to sleep, which rebooted the autopilot computer. Turn of sentry and close your app on all devices and leave the car to fully shut down for an hour or more. Hopefully you’ll get AP back after that.

Try recalibrating your cameras (Service menu). If you get an error when trying to do this, report back. I had a similar problem and it went away after a deep sleep (do you have Sentry on at home?)
I've tried recalibrating the cameras which didn't work :( It seems like a few people are suggesting letting the car go into a deep sleep. I'm sure the car goes into a deep sleep over night as sentry isn't on at home, but I've closed the app fully this morning and will see if that helps over lunch!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, It seems like this isn't the wide issue that tesla have made out to me.

It's confusing that it is detecting Traffic Lights in your example picture, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

From current experience if there is a hardware issue with the AP computer all the visualization elements stop appearing, lines don't move, other weird things happen like your headlights come on. On my car I get this when it's hot, AP computer overheats and shuts down. Tesla have replaced most of the cooling system and have yet to resolve the issue.

So to me their answer does seem logical, but clearly not very acceptable to be without the feature.

It's confusing that it is detecting Traffic Lights in your example picture, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

From current experience if there is a hardware issue with the AP computer all the visualization elements stop appearing, lines don't move, other weird things happen like your headlights come on. On my car I get this when it's hot, AP computer overheats and shuts down. Tesla have replaced most of the cooling system and have yet to resolve the issue.

So to me their answer does seem logical, but clearly not very acceptable to be without the feature.
This is the strangest thing about it. All the road lines, Traffic lights, bins, cones etc. all still show on the visualization, its literally just any sort of vehicle it refuses to show or see. I'm not too sure if it see's people still to be fair, I might have to test that one out.

The thing that I don't understand, If it's an issue with software then it would effect all cars with the same software/hardware surely? Which it doesn't seem to be.

The thing that I don't understand, If it's an issue with software then it would effect all cars with the same software/hardware surely? Which it doesn't seem to be.
Stick around here for a while and you'll see that not every car has the same issues even if on the face of it they are the same car. There are a lot of different hardware/software versions- and probably also firmware versions in each component that add to the number of variables. Also how people use their car can determine whether something is an issue or not.

Reactions: ShiftySuperior
I've tried recalibrating the cameras which didn't work :( It seems like a few people are suggesting letting the car go into a deep sleep. I'm sure the car goes into a deep sleep over night as sentry isn't on at home, but I've closed the app fully this morning and will see if that helps over lunch!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, It seems like this isn't the wide issue that tesla have made out to me.
Did it give you an actual error message when you tried to recalibrate it? (e.g. like “Failed to clear calibration” or something), or did it complete and make no difference?

I had the exact same thing happen to my car and the only thing that fixed it was a deep sleep cycle. The techs pushed the same update to it twice, and I tried to recalibrate cameras (failed, didn’t even do it), and nothing worked.

If you are using Intelligent Octopus or some other third party app, or just checking the Tesla app regularly, or if you have Sentry or Summon Standby on at home, the car won’t sleep properly.

Thanks
Did it give you an actual error message when you tried to recalibrate it? (e.g. like “Failed to clear calibration” or something), or did it complete and make no difference?

I had the exact same thing happen to my car and the only thing that fixed it was a deep sleep cycle. The techs pushed the same update to it twice, and I tried to recalibrate cameras (failed, didn’t even do it), and nothing worked.

If you are using Intelligent Octopus or some other third party app, or just checking the Tesla app regularly, or if you have Sentry or Summon Standby on at home, the car won’t sleep properly.
It recalibrated fine! Ill give it another go this afternoon though, it cant hurt haha. I don't have Octopus, sentry (at home) or summon.

Good thought with the 3rd party apps, I've downloaded a few in the past (though I no longer use any) but they could still be stopping the car from sleeping? I've just reset my Tesla password so now hopefully nothing can connect to it. Fingers crossed!

If just vehicle viz then I'd wonder if the ultrasound system was out as a sig proportion of that? Do you get distance displays when parking?
Distance info all still works when parking including the annoying beeps haha. Even when driving past objects that are close to the car, I get the yellow markings around the car visualization so it knows something is there! Even if its a parked car that it cant see

Thanks

It recalibrated fine! Ill give it another go this afternoon though, it cant hurt haha. I don't have Octopus, sentry (at home) or summon.

Good thought with the 3rd party apps, I've downloaded a few in the past (though I no longer use any) but they could still be stopping the car from sleeping? I've just reset my Tesla password so now hopefully nothing can connect to it. Fingers crossed!
Cabin overheat protection can keep the car awake as well.

Reactions: ShiftySuperior
I doubt it’ll be coming on at this time of year, and you’d usually get a notification if it did so.

If you used something like TeslaMate or TeslaFi you’d be able to see if the car was sleeping. Other apps would probably keep it awake, or keep waking it up so it can’t sleep properly.