TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

No Tech Package - Keyless entry

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by golfski, Jun 16, 2014.

1. golfski

golfski Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I took delivery of an S60 today with no tech package and was curious on a particular feature. I know the tech package had the auto-present handles, which would unlock the car and present to the driver with the key in the drivers pocket. I was told that with no tech package, they would not auto-present, but they would come out with just a touch on the door handle. This works when the car is UNLOCKED, but it does not seem to work when the car is LOCKED. Is that correct? I can't tell if I misunderstood (bummer!) or if its just not working.

Again, if the car is unlocked and the handles recessed, a simple touch and viola. But when the car is locked, it does not work. You have to double-click the fob, which presents the handles. If it's only when the car is already un-locked, that is pretty useless.
  2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Jan 29, 2010
    Redwood Shores, CA
    This is by design. Even with the tech package, once the car retracts the handles, they'll emerge with the touch only if the car is unlocked again. It's just that the unlocking happens more seamlessly - by walking to the car with the fob in range - rather than having to double click the fob.
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    San Mateo, CA
    You understand correctly.

Just one of many reasons why I tell people that the Tech Package is the most important option after Supercharging capability (if buying a 60).

In any case, you are no the owner of a fantastic car! Enjoy.