Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Tesla’s in Boston?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was really expecting it to be more like Seattle, where Tesla is quickly overtaking Subaru as the officle car of the city. Sadly mistaken. Boston clearly has the money, but I guess it still too old worldish, doctors and lawyers, not software and aerospace.

One of the reasons why Tesla is not "super" popular in Boston is that the electricity is expensive here. From a practical point of view, an expensive EV like Tesla does not yield a big economic advantage in Boston compare to other states/cities that have good electricity rate.

Most Telsa car sits low, which can cause problems in the long snowy days in winter and the "bumpy" road here.

Lastly, (don't take this the wrong way) folks are more mature when buying expensive cars. The super popular luxury car on the road is MB, BMW, Lexus and Infiniti from my observation.

But I've seen tons of Model 3 every day on 128 and 93. (BTW, many of them drive their M3 like they stole it, lol.) I work in a department that has 70+ lawyers and 180+ employees, and I'm the only Tesla owner. Many of them certainly have the means to buy a Tesla.

Reactions: North75
I was really expecting it to be more like Seattle, where Tesla is quickly overtaking Subaru as the officle car of the city. Sadly mistaken. Boston clearly has the money, but I guess it still too old worldish, doctors and lawyers, not software and aerospace.
NE is very slow to adopt new things. VT which is arguably the greenest of states has no EVs on the road. I have family up there and when people see my Tesla it's as if I've landed from out of space...absolutely no clue.

I see many Teslas in affluent western suburbs of Boston. While using the Dedham SC supercharger a few weeks ago on a Saturday, they were delivering 70 new vehicles, mostly M3's. Clearly, they don't deliver this many daily, but one-quarter as many is substantial. Most of the vehicles should be used in the Boston area. About 75% of the vehicles I see at the Framingham SC have MA plates. Near my location there are several free charging stations including two at shopping areas.

I finally saw two 3s in the wild during a single (local, non-highway) drive the day before you started this thread. Maybe you won't spot any in the city proper on a particular day, but there are lots out here in MA.

(there are 6 at work I see all the time)

I have to say I disagree. While in the Bay Area I saw a good chunk more Tesla's then out in Boston, but I would say there are a ton out here.

Waiting for AWD I think was the biggest reason why there are so few 3s here.

As for how many I see, I started to be really observant on sightings. I usually see 5 for every 10 mintutes of driving (have a game with the gf of saying "Tesla" Everytime we see one). I was at Panera in Newton and in about 200 feet there were 3.

Just my observation, but again j usually see 1 every few minutes.

"Most Telsa car sits low, which can cause problems in the long snowy days in winter and the "bumpy" road here."

Couldn't disagree more. With air suspension, the weight of the car for traction, etc. I drove my dual-motor Model S through the deepest snowstorms last year to Northern NE using the Super Charging network with no problem. Used to drive an Audi and Subaru before... this Model S outperforms both of those.

"Lastly, (don't take this the wrong way) folks are more mature when buying expensive cars. The super popular luxury car on the road is MB, BMW, Lexus and Infiniti from my observation."

Read the latest sales reports of the Model 3 sales over those brands.

Reactions: jlv1