Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Tesla Solar Glass for Minnesota ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We put down a deposit for a Tesla Solar Roof (now Solar Glass) a few minutes after reservations opened. There was some progress on it a few months ago and then tonight we received a notice that they are cancelling our order because we are outside of their planned service territory. We're in a burb of Minneapolis.

Anyone else?

Is Tesla really cutting back on plans for Tesla Glass?

We put down a deposit for a Tesla Solar Roof (now Solar Glass) a few minutes after reservations opened. There was some progress on it a few months ago and then tonight we received a notice that they are cancelling our order because we are outside of their planned service territory. We're in a burb of Minneapolis.

Anyone else?

Is Tesla really cutting back on plans for Tesla Glass?

Same here: Tesla cancelled my solar roof order.

Where in MN are you? I'm in the southern Twin Cities suburbs and have not received a cancellation yet. I'm up to the stage where they notified me they are applying for the permit from the electric company (Dakota Electric). Last contact with them was on 4/27 when they added powerwalls I requested to the estimate.

I just had a conversation with a couple of people at Tesla. They said that there will be no solar glass installs in Minnesota this year. Spring 2021 is a possibility but that's a guess. They will be returning all cash deposits and then we can make a non cash reservation.

It appears that Tesla are severely cutting back on the solar glass business.

Last edited:
A guy who does solar panel systems that I sat next to on a plane had told me that Minnesota is one of the most difficult states to do solar in due to regulatory/bureaucracy issues. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that and if that might have played a role?

If that was an issue I'd think Tesla would say so given who runs it.

I just had a conversation with a couple of people at Tesla. They said that there will be no solar glass installs in Minnesota this year. Spring 2021 is a possibility but that's a guess. They will be returning all cash deposits and then we can make a non cash reservation.

It appears that Tesla are severely cutting back on the solar glass business.

Why are people assuming Tesla is cutting back or giving up on their solar business? I’ve seen articles come out in the press essentially taking that stance after a few people in certain parts of the country have had their solar/PW orders cancelled and deposits returned after Tesla said they aren’t servicing their area at present.

If you look through the threads here and note order locations for those that are getting their installs now, Tesla is certainly not folding their Energy business. I think this has to do with sudden demand for their products, building sufficient teams to train and service the product and not stretching yourself too thin as you expand.

Since the wildfires here in northern Calif literally wiped out towns and shut down power to hundreds of thousands of people (due in part to PG&E’s system not being able to shut smaller affected regions off from others), TE’s and other installers’ orders for solar and battery backups have exploded. The need for continuous power I think has grown more urgent due to covid and people SIP and WFH.

I think Tesla Energy is taking a more measured approach to service areas not wanting to find themselves spread too thin in areas that maybe yet aren’t sufficient to support a full-time presence there. Inability to provide service afterwards will only get you unhappy customers and bad press. Better to return deposits if expansion to those lower served areas seems unlikely at present.

I have no doubt they’d like to install systems for everyone who wants one and for most will be a matter of time but also gauging enough interest to make it feasible. How are other solar companies doing in your area? I know there are other solar glass systems out there.

Last edited:
I'm in Medina (Wright-Hennepin Electric) and I requested a solar glass install on the Tesla website back in May. It allowed me to configure a system and I got a confirmation email, but said I wasn't in the service area and didn't charge me a deposit. I received an (automated?) email yesterday from Cory Wells at Tesla that asked if I wanted to proceed using a third-party installer. I clicked the Yes link in the email and I generated a reply via email.

-J.C.

Here's the full text of the email for those interested:

Thank you for your Solar Roof reservation and your patience as we expand into your area. In the meantime, Tesla has partnered with a certified third-party installer to give customers the option to expedite their installation.

You can now schedule your installation through our certified partner who is trained to install Solar Roof and adhere to strict quality, permitting, and inspection requirements.

Your final design and pricing will be based on a confirmed roof surface area and selected solar system size which will be finalized with a certified installer. Each unique home may be subject to different sales taxes and require different construction improvements or electrical upgrades that have not been captured in the initial quote you received from Tesla. After conducting an in-person survey of your roof, the certified installer will discuss final pricing of Solar Roof installation with you.

To move forward with your Solar Roof reservation with a certified installer, please select ‘yes’ below. Our certified partner will then contact you to finalize design, payment, and installation.