Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NO Tesla Super Chargers on New York Thruway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to hear that the NJ Turnpike and the Pa Turnpike are getting Tesla Superchargers. But if you are traveling the NY state Thruway you have to get off, pay the toll and find the SuperCharger and the get back on. There has to be something wrong when they have non Tesla chargers but will not put Tesla SC at the rest areas.

Reactions: Rg3500
There has to be something wrong when they have non Tesla chargers but will not put Tesla SC at the rest areas.
There is something "wrong". Tesla has opted to stay with their proprietary charging connector, and this is one of the results. Most public institutions/entities have a lot of trouble justifying the public lands utilization for something that restricts usage to only a subset of the public. This is why they aren't eligible for any of the VW dieselgate funding the states can spend on EV chargers, it's why Tesla almost never puts superchargers in lots owned by cities, etc. Most of the time, when they have been allowed to do so by public entities, it has been with the negotiated deal that Tesla will also install all the necessary electrical infrastructure to support universal chargers at the location should the entity decide to build some chargers on their own or find another universal EVCS provider who wants to build there. This comes with a significant cost increase for Tesla, but at least it sometimes lets them build on public lands. For example, this is how they got approval for the new locations along the NJ tpke:

"The company will pay all design, construction, installation, and maintenance costs for the new superchargers at Turnpike locations, as well as the cost of installing the necessary infrastructure to enable the installation of non-Tesla chargers by other providers."

I would be shocked if Tesla had never approached the NYS Throughway Authority about putting superchargers at the rest stops. And I imagine the proprietary nature of the Tesla connector was a major impediment and made any deal a non-starter so far.

There is something "wrong". Tesla has opted to stay with their proprietary charging connector, and this is one of the results. Most public institutions/entities have a lot of trouble justifying the public lands utilization for something that restricts usage to only a subset of the public. This is why they aren't eligible for any of the VW dieselgate funding the states can spend on EV chargers, it's why Tesla almost never puts superchargers in lots owned by cities, etc. Most of the time, when they have been allowed to do so by public entities, it has been with the negotiated deal that Tesla will also install all the necessary electrical infrastructure to support universal chargers at the location should the entity decide to build some chargers on their own or find another universal EVCS provider who wants to build there. This comes with a significant cost increase for Tesla, but at least it sometimes lets them build on public lands. For example, this is how they got approval for the new locations along the NJ tpke:

"The company will pay all design, construction, installation, and maintenance costs for the new superchargers at Turnpike locations, as well as the cost of installing the necessary infrastructure to enable the installation of non-Tesla chargers by other providers."

I would be shocked if Tesla had never approached the NYS Throughway Authority about putting superchargers at the rest stops. And I imagine the proprietary nature of the Tesla connector was a major impediment and made any deal a non-starter so far.
So if most EVs are Teslas but yet they cant charge at NY Thruway rest areas then dont say you want to empact the environment and convert to renewables by 2035, its all talk!! The Tesla owners have made the invest ment but the politicans in Albany are playing politics and siding with the “auto Dealers” to keep Tesla down.

Ah yes, the old battle of standards. 'Good thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from'. In Europe they required Tesla to conform to the CCS standard on the Model 3 sometime around mid 2019.
Although slower and not good news for those with free Supercharging one could always resort to the J1772 adapter.

Reactions: Rg3500
I don't even own a Tesla yet and this already frustrating me...lol. Most EV drivers in NY are Tesla owners so only allowing non Tesla Superchargers is in fact limiting to only a subset of the population. Why not have both? Its not like Tesla won't pay for the Superchargers and they have plenty of space. They allow other private entities at the rest stops like McDonalds, etc.

Lets talk proprietary and add some real facts to the conversation. Tesla connector was around YEARS before CCS was even a dream, let alone a car equipped with one. Most Evs are Teslas. With that said, then every car should have been forced to adopted Tesla's standard which took CCS 10 years to catch up. But the real kicker is with that attitude everyone would be stuck with chademo at 50kw. Forced standards stifle competition and innovation. Before anyone replies to this, iPhones users need not apply with its proprietary connector. Live what you preach.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Bobbo8
I think the standard should always be the better plug not necessarily the most common. Otherwise we miss out on advancements. Tesla has the best plug right now. In10 years I expect an upgrade.

Like usb-a, b, mini, micro, c etc..
I also think that the best plug should be the standard but the decision of what is the best plug is being made by politicans and the NY Auto Dealers assoc.

I am also dismayed by there being no superchargers on thruways. I do not want to have to get off the thruway and search around for a supercharger in an unfamiliar location. It wastes time and does not feel at all safe for me as a single woman traveling alone. I guess I need to rethink my plan to purchase a Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl and Bobbo8
As Tesla owners we need to make our voices heard that the NYS Thruway should treat Tesla owners as equals to other EVs and install Tesla Super Chargers at the rest areas as they are with other manufacturers. The standard should be the most popular EV should have a presence. Here is the address of the NYS Thruway, lets send our input and hopefully as a group they will hear us. Contact Us By Email - New York State Thruway

Reactions: kayak1 and Big Earl

This complaint is somewhat out of date. The NYS Thruway has changed to an electronic system and has eliminated all tollbooths. It's not as convenient as having a SuC at a rest stop, but most of the SuCs are near Thruway exits.
you still have to get off the Thruway and most add significant time during a long trip to locate the Charger as they are in some cases a few miles, I.e Utica, Rochester, Syracuse and most don’t have restrooms or refreshments. So Tesla owners are treated differently.

The NY Thruway is really a tale of two cities, or rather two states. The east/west portion (Albany to Buffalo) is really the only game in town (in state). The north/south portion (Hudson River to Albany) has parkways on the Westchester side that get to Albany. Convenience wise its not a comparison to the straight Thruway run. The parkways are windy but offer more on/off Supercharger access and dining options; and are only for cars, no trucks. I'm attaching from the NYS Thruway website the length miles at each exit, so anyone can check how many miles it is between Exit 31 (Utica) (Mile Marker 233) to the Thruway south terminus around Exit 15A (Sloatsburg) (Mile Marker 31) yields a roughly 200 mile journey so its is possible. Syracuse heading south has a more scenic option than the NYS Thruway using I-81, less traffic, more on/off options, saving tolls in the process and access to Superchargers at Binghamton NY, (future 250kw @ Castle Creek NY) Moosic PA, and Tannersville PA before continuing south in PA or east to NJ. I understand your rant completely. I do wonder when the Tesla semi trucks arrive, will the lack of charging compatibility on certain highways be a huge issue as its far easier for a car to wander off a highway in search of a Supercharger than a loaded semi. Interchange/Exit Listing by Milepost - New York State Thruway

I want to add to this thread, had to drive from Saratoga Springs to Long Beach New York yesterday due to a family emergency. It literally took an hour to get to the supercharge in Newburg, and get back on the road. There is very heavy shopping traffic with the holiday approaching. The state rest areas have tons of open space that could easily accommodate a bank of super Chargers as well as what ever other kind is out there. This is clearly a political issue and I agree with the previous poster that probably the automobile dealers Association is putting the nix on it.

I want to add to this thread, had to drive from Saratoga Springs to Long Beach New York yesterday due to a family emergency. It literally took an hour to get to the supercharge in Newburg, and get back on the road. There is very heavy shopping traffic with the holiday approaching. The state rest areas have tons of open space that could easily accommodate a bank of super Chargers as well as what ever other kind is out there. This is clearly a political issue and I agree with the previous poster that probably the automobile dealers Association is putting the nix on it.
Buy the Tesla CCS adapter.

Hope you and your family are okay. The New Paltz and Kingston chargers are easier to get to, and New Paltz is 250kW. I think there is an old NYS regulation that says only chargers without proprietary connectors can be installed on the Thruway. The reg dates back to the time when "everyone knew" Tesla was going to fail