TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No Test Drive - Anyone else like me?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by cmorn, Oct 16, 2013.

1. cmorn

cmorn Member

Ordered S85 on 9/9 confirmed 9/10, upgraded to P85 in October, Deliver scheduled for 11/11 in Marietta, Georgia. Here is the kicker. I have never driven one. The first one I drive will be mine. Anyone else with me, or see my point?

2. voidptr

voidptr Member

I bought my S85 without a test drive. At the time, getting a test drive in Raleigh meant driving to Tyson's Corner or farther.

3. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

I ordered my Model S without a test drive as well. Though I did make a point of visiting a showroom in order to sit in the seats and make sure they were comfortable. At the time the showroom didn't have a driveable model. No problem.

4. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

I put my deposit down without a drive. Though got 2 test drives prior to finalizing.

5. Tesla 940

Tesla 940 Member

Didn't need a test drive - I knew what I wanted! That was nearly 4 years ago!

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That was the only way to get a test drive when I ordered mine. I did take a "Get Amped" test drive and another at a California store before mine was delivered, but I was pretty much committed beforehand.

7. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I ordered and confirmed, then a while later took a test drive. After the test drive I upgraded to the P (not the +!!).

8. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

9. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

There are a lot of us crazies in the same boat. Tesla hadn't even opened here when I ordered. But I did get to see it in a local mall tour....

10. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

Kind of crazy now to live in Atlanta and not go to the Service Center/Store for a test drive. That said I had never even seen a Model S, except in pictures, when I ordered mine, but I think alot of Signature Series buyers like me were in that same position.

11. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

Thats what many of the early adopters did (myself included), not only here in Europe.

My deposit was beginning of 2012, first test drive end of Jan 2013, finalised in July, delivery last week.

Especially the Sig deposit of 30,000 Euros was a leap of faith for me. I later downgraded in order to afford a roadster, which I still love.

12. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

No test drives for me. I looked in the store, liked what I saw, researched for a month and then pulled the trigger. The first Model S I ever drove was not mine, actually. It belonged to a nice couple from Palm Springs who needed to use my HPWC to charge on a long trip. I got a treat when they let me drive their car. Wow! My car was delivered two weeks later, but it made the wait so much harder.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Ordered the Tesla Roadster without a drive. Tesla had two prototypes then. That is, they had only cobbled together only two cars ever. One ride did it for us.

14. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

ditto. bought the P85 without having ever driven a Tesla before. This was even before the Motor Trend car of the year award. There were like 3 reviews at the time I ordered lol but all 3 said the car was phenomenal. that plus the ipad like dashboard and 0-60 in sub-4 seconds etc etc was enough of a selling point for me.

15. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

Likewise, I ordered without a test drive. There's no sales center over here...only a service center. Went to the SC to see one in person and view trip options in person (happy I did...it changed my decision.) The first MS I drove was my own upon delivery.

Speaking of a iPad...I pulled the trigger using an iPad. I still chuckle...can't believe I ordered this super car on a iPad. :tongue:

16. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

I talked to one Tesla owner who never even laid eyes on a Model S until it was being delivered to his house. Now that is faith.