Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No test drives available for 100 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and recently my wife and I have started shopping for a new car, EVs - obviously. During the holiday break we managed to test drive a Mustang Mach-E, Audi e-Tron and a Volvo XC40. The only two cars on our list we couldn't drive are the id.4 and the Model Y. We've got a Tesla Gallery in our city and living in the San Francisco Bay Area there is a gallery/service center/store every 20 miles or so. However, according to tesla.com/drive the closest test drive a Model Y is 100 miles away, the next best option is Fresno (170 miles away).

What is going on? Is this normal? This being the Bay Area it feels like practically 10% of the cars are Tesla, so I'd think there would at least be test drive units available in the area. Sure, they don't have inventory and the wait time is months to years depending on the model. The rest we drove we similar - Mach-E was 6 months, e-Tron same, XC40 was 2 month - so this isn't a shock or even a problem. But... no test drive?
Another option (other than TURO) would be to look for a Model 3 test drive. If you generally like the Model 3, then think how Model 3 would drive if it were an SUV, and that will be your Model Y, slightly bigger, somewhat taller, roomier, and a little less precise in turns. You can also go with "10% of CA" can't be wrong.