Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No text message functionality anymore after UI update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP1 2016 model S here.

I used to get my text messages on my iphone delivered in the dashboard. It would make a sound and give me a prompt allowing me to choose whether to read it out or not.

After the recent update with the new UI (I actually like it, it gives me one button access to the camera, and I rarely use seat warmers...) it no longer delivers text messages. I open the text messages panel and it is empty. The calendar functionality all works. Although I also don't get the calendar being shown when I get into the car, and it definitely used to do that too, but I don't really need that functionality. Anyway the fact that the Messages panel is empty is definitely a strong clue that something is amiss on my end with the phone connection and I probably need to reset something. But I've tried un/repairing my phone and stuff. What do I need to reset to make this work again. I can't imagine that they really would have removed the feature. But I've been starting to wonder.

UPDATE: (mods you can delete this if you want but might as well leave it for others in the same situation to learn)

I got a clue from trying to voice-send a message, it says to turn on sync messages. I checked for that to no avail in my phone bluetooth settings, but lo and behold the important setting is inside the very difficult to access bluetooth settings in the car. You open bluetooth, then your phone that is already connected seems to be not clickable, but clicking the Add device button opens the full bluetooth menu which lets you open it up for your phone. And it works! Everything works like it used to!

Last edited:
AP1 2016 model S here.

I used to get my text messages on my iphone delivered in the dashboard. It would make a sound and give me a prompt allowing me to choose whether to read it out or not.

After the recent update with the new UI (I actually like it, it gives me one button access to the camera, and I rarely use seat warmers...) it no longer delivers text messages. I open the text messages panel and it is empty. The calendar functionality all works. Although I also don't get the calendar being shown when I get into the car, and it definitely used to do that too, but I don't really need that functionality. Anyway the fact that the Messages panel is empty is definitely a strong clue that something is amiss on my end with the phone connection and I probably need to reset something. But I've tried un/repairing my phone and stuff. What do I need to reset to make this work again. I can't imagine that they really would have removed the feature. But I've been starting to wonder.

UPDATE: (mods you can delete this if you want but might as well leave it for others in the same situation to learn)

I got a clue from trying to voice-send a message, it says to turn on sync messages. I checked for that to no avail in my phone bluetooth settings, but lo and behold the important setting is inside the very difficult to access bluetooth settings in the car. You open bluetooth, then your phone that is already connected seems to be not clickable, but clicking the Add device button opens the full bluetooth menu which lets you open it up for your phone. And it works! Everything works like it used to!
This solved it for me. Completely forgot about that setting.