Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No text messages through the UI?

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Wow, this is really surprising to me. It's a pretty basic feature that every other manufacturer offers.

Yes, there are several things like that. No ability for direct connections to play music from your phone is another example (not talking CarPlay/AndroidAuto, just plugging in via USB and playing music from your phone.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
My wife's Pacifica reads text messages to you and you can respond by voice. Very intuative and no more unsafe than speaking an address or bringing up an artist through slacker.
same for my old Prius V, hard to accept the loss of a basic service I had for 5 years

jsmay311

Apr 22, 2016
Chicago suburbs
That's too bad.

A workaround could be to use your phone's built in voice command features (i.e., Siri or the Android equivalent) to have a new message dictated over the car's speakers via bluetooth and possibly also reply with voice-to-text. Although that may require you to hit a button on the phone to activate it.

spudnik187

Dec 28, 2017
Austin, TX
That's too bad.

A workaround could be to use your phone's built in voice command features (i.e., Siri or the Android equivalent) to have a new message dictated over the car's speakers via bluetooth and possibly also reply with voice-to-text. Although that may require you to hit a button on the phone to activate it.
I do this with “Hey, Siri”. Not that big of a deal. I thought I would miss CarPlay way more than I actually do.

Reactions: dgaultiere

RDoc

S85D
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
I believe that functionality is scheduled just after Full Self Driving and just before the Media Center supports playlists. Fortunately, all the increased power demands will be met by the commercial fusion power stations that will be widespread by then.

Anyway, texts will have been long obsoleted by the international system of flying messenger pigs.

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
Excuse me. I dont care what other cars do. You shouldn’t read texts while driving. If you pull over, then what’s the big deal to just use phone? If you want them read to you, use Siri or android equivalent. I see no good reason for Tesla to ever add this.

Ever? Like even after FSD?

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
Excuse me. I dont care what other cars do. You shouldn’t read texts while driving. If you pull over, then what’s the big deal to just use phone? If you want them read to you, use Siri or android equivalent. I see no good reason for Tesla to ever add this.

We're not talking about "reading" texts but listening and replying totally hands free. Pretty much the same as having a conversation with a passenger. And the good part was you could say no and decline to even hear the message which is what I did most of the time. But knowing for example my wife sent me a text message which was infrequent I would typically say yes, listen and reply if needede.

iluvmacs

Jan 27, 2014
Madison, WI
Then they need to add the ability to activate Siri/etc. from the steering wheel or screen. There's even a defined standard (at least for iOS) for an attached Bluetooth handsfree kit to do this.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
We're not talking about "reading" texts but listening and replying totally hands free. Pretty much the same as having a conversation with a passenger. And the good part was you could say no and decline to even hear the message which is what I did most of the time. But knowing for example my wife sent me a text message which was infrequent I would typically say yes, listen and reply if needede.
Please reread original post: “text messages won’t come through on my screen”. Then tell me what thread is about;)

Nonetheless, almost as bad IMO. It is still a distraction. And psychologists have proven we get addicted. To the point that we will listen/read and answer with urgency even if it puts our life in danger. Thank you Tesla for protecting me from myself. And thanks Apple for do not disturb mode. I cannot be trusted:eek:

buttershrimp

Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode
Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2017
ATX
I’m furious, my Tesla doesn’t even swipe left on tindr. I actually have to do this myself when selecting mating partners.... ugh Elon!

We might as well go back to gas lanterns and candle light!

Cancel cancel cancel cancel cancel cancel cancel cancel

Cancel?

Did I stutter?

That’s right,

Cancel my order.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC