Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No towing on P100?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking at used Model X P100's, mostly 2017's. Many of these have "NO TOWING" on the window sticker, and sure enough, they don't have tow hardware under the bumper cover.

The standard features page for a P100 lists a 2" receiver as standard equipment, so this appears to have been a mid-2017 thing?

Does anyone know why Tesla has done this, and if Tesla will sell you the tow kit for one of these cars?

Not sure, but my guess is that "No Towing" on the window means that the vehicle can't be towed. Not that the vehicle can't tow something.

A windows placard would be for a wrecker operator.

Towing capabilities would be in the user manual.

I've been looking at used Model X P100's, mostly 2017's. Many of these have "NO TOWING" on the window sticker, and sure enough, they don't have tow hardware under the bumper cover.

The standard features page for a P100 lists a 2" receiver as standard equipment, so this appears to have been a mid-2017 thing?

Does anyone know why Tesla has done this, and if Tesla will sell you the tow kit for one of these cars?
It was formerly an option, now it's standard.

This may be helpful:
Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

These are late 2017 cars, long after towing became standard. The options list for them specifically says "NO TOW PACKAGE" which is not what a car bought before towing was standard said. And as I say, when you actually look under the bumper, the hardware is not there.

I wonder if somehow these are cars made for Tesla's internal use as loaners, and they didn't want people towing? My only concern is if Tesla will add towing to them if you own them, or if they will somehow tell you that because it specifically said no tow package that they won't let you add it.

Options list I'm talking about is attached. This is not the first one I've seen.

Attachments

• NoTow.PNG
    NoTow.PNG
    42.8 KB · Views: 78
Many Model Xs manufactured after towing became standard had the tow package left off, presumably due to a parts shortage. Odds are, these P100Ds fall into that category and since they're likely being sold with a showroom discount, why go through the trouble of adding the tow package when the customer can just pay to have it added afterwards. Odds are, the showroom discount already reflects the lack of tow package.

You should obviously confirm with the SC before purchasing, but I can't imagine any reason why you couldn't just pay $1,200 to have the OE hitch added.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I recently bought an inventory p100d that was in the same situation. Not only can they add the tow package, they were kind enough to due bill it for me since cars in that era should have had it included. I’m just waiting for the SC to get the parts in for it. If you’re buying from a 3rd party obviously you’ll be on the hook to buy it, but if you are looking at an inventory car you could ask about getting it included.

I recently bought an inventory p100d that was in the same situation. Not only can they add the tow package, they were kind enough to due bill it for me since cars in that era should have had it included. I’m just waiting for the SC to get the parts in for it. If you’re buying from a 3rd party obviously you’ll be on the hook to buy it, but if you are looking at an inventory car you could ask about getting it included.

Yep, ask your OA to have the tow package included at no cost.

FYI. Looks like the tow hitches are now available.