TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No trailer hitch would be a deal breaker for me.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mperkel, Mar 28, 2018.

1. mperkel

mperkel New Member

Still waiting on all wheel drive but the lack of a trailer hitch would be a deal breaker for me. I plan on getting rid of my ICE car and the Tesla will be my only car. I live in a place where I trap raccoons that I need to haul off to the woods and I'm not putting a raccoon inside a $65,000 car. (the real price) And I would use an external basket when hauling things like bags of potting soil, concrete, large plants, and other things I might buy that I wouldn't put inside an expensive car.

So - no trailer hitch - no deal.

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Model Y custom Warming Stripes wrap.

All signs and statements about the Model 3 state it would not have a towing capability.
    If you have a reservation, I would suggest getting a refund now. The Model Y may have one, but that is a ways off.

3. mperkel

mperkel New Member

I'm going to wait for the AWD version and see if that changes. It's not like my deposit needs to go somewhere else for now. But if it doesn't happen then there will be other cars to buy sometime in the future, and someone else will get their car earlier.

4. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-LR M3AWD

Also contact Torklift Central who makes two hitched for many cars including Model S. Torklift Central | Tesla - Find Your EcoHitch - RVing and Towing

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Elon said it would have one. And the manual says that it is not currently supported:

Model 3 Towing.png

That sure sounds like they plan on adding support. (Probably with the AWD/SAS package.)

6. TriNerd

TriNerd Member

7. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

While no towing option might be a deal breaker for you, it's certainly not for most. There is tons of demand for the car as is so I would not expect to see towing anytime soon. I would not mind the option.

8. RayW

RayW Joy Riding

I didn’t realize professional raccoon catching paid enough for a $65K automobile….maybe that’ll be my retirement-gig.:cool:

9. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

Torklift will have a hitch soon. Elon Musk also tweeted a while back that there would be a factory option. I'd like to get one for a hitch mounted bike rack.