Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No trunk side lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

My Model S has no side trunk lights where as others have, is that an option?
Anyone know why some has the light and some don’t?
Is it possible for me to add them?
I can almost not see a thing in the trunk at night as the overhead light is so dim. And yes, I know there’s brighter light I can replace it with but won’t help as I only have the overhead one and when I stand there, I’m blocking the light anyways…
I want to find out why mine doesn’t have the side trunk lights and what I can do to add them.

Thanks

Last edited:
As others stated, it was an option for early cars. You needed the "Tech Package" to have them. I've not seen a car without them, but you may need to cut a hole to add a light. Wiring and power should all work. Be very careful when cutting the hole, as you don't want to cut wires behind it. You may want to pull the carpet out enough so there is no chance of cutting wires. If you're lucky, there could be marks or a partial cutout on the back of the carpet where the LED module goes.

Abstract Ocean is a good source for LED modules, and they are far brighter than Tesla modules. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
So the wire is there with a plug hiding behind the carpet cover?
If so, I can just cut a hole there on both side and stick the light there?
You should be able to find the pre-cut slots for the lights and wires taped behind the carpet. This guy does a pretty good job of showing you how to find them and access. The Abstract Ocean lights are great, and I suggest you consider replacing all of them around the interior (e.g., front footwells, glove box, rear hatch, red lights on doors). You didn't mention year of your car and whether you have auto trunk hatch (tech package)? In my 2013, I also found the wires for rear footwell (under the front seats). You can also add those using Abstract lights, but they use to sell a special black plastic light holder frame that clips under seat on metal bar.

The link for Abstract installation guides is not working, but they have great videos so perhaps reach out to them via contact link or email.

You should be able to find the pre-cut slots for the lights and wires taped behind the carpet. This guy does a pretty good job of showing you how to find them and access. The Abstract Ocean lights are great, and I suggest you consider replacing all of them around the interior (e.g., front footwells, glove box, rear hatch, red lights on doors). You didn't mention year of your car and whether you have auto trunk hatch (tech package)? In my 2013, I also found the wires for rear footwell (under the front seats). You can also add those using Abstract lights, but they use to sell a special black plastic light holder frame that clips under seat on metal bar.

The link for Abstract installation guides is not working, but they have great videos so perhaps reach out to them via contact link or email.

I found the rear footwell brackets:

Hello all. We miss the days where Tesla wiring was simple, now everything is software limited, but for the pre-refresh Model S, all the cables are indeed there, and they're all hot. In the trunk and doors, you do need to cut the holes, but they're already scored, so it's not difficult. For under the seats, the bracket above is good for pre-2017 S's, after that, they added their own retaining bar, which is hopeless (shines directly down), but you can basically ziptie our bulbs to the same bar if you want more light in the back. The actual location of the plugs can vary a little, depending how they were tied up at the factory.

Here's the link to the help, but this is on a Model S that had the tech package, but still applies, as soon as you've found the hot wires. https://help.abstractocean.com/en-US/ultra-bright-led-lights-for-model-s-104775

Hello all. We miss the days where Tesla wiring was simple, now everything is software limited, but for the pre-refresh Model S, all the cables are indeed there, and they're all hot. In the trunk and doors, you do need to cut the holes, but they're already scored, so it's not difficult. For under the seats, the bracket above is good for pre-2017 S's, after that, they added their own retaining bar, which is hopeless (shines directly down), but you can basically ziptie our bulbs to the same bar if you want more light in the back. The actual location of the plugs can vary a little, depending how they were tied up at the factory.

Here's the link to the help, but this is on a Model S that had the tech package, but still applies, as soon as you've found the hot wires. https://help.abstractocean.com/en-US/ultra-bright-led-lights-for-model-s-104775
FYI, so you are aware this link is not working:

1663105583692.png

As others stated, it was an option for early cars. You needed the "Tech Package" to have them. I've not seen a car without them, but you may need to cut a hole to add a light. Wiring and power should all work. Be very careful when cutting the hole, as you don't want to cut wires behind it. You may want to pull the carpet out enough so there is no chance of cutting wires. If you're lucky, there could be marks or a partial cutout on the back of the carpet where the LED module goes.

Abstract Ocean is a good source for LED modules, and they are far brighter than Tesla modules. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the info. I guess my car doesn’t have the Tech Package… lol

My MS is a 2017… when you say auto trunk hatch means the power hatch? Or there’s something more fancier than the power hatch?
My 17’ MS has that power hatch, so does it mean I have the tech pack? But then again, no side trunk light. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Here's where the lights should be, and if they're not, you should be able to feel for the punchouts. The actual power cables for the lights will be nearby, but tend to be tucked away a little, still easy enough to find though. I've added a little more information to our help article.

punchout locations.png

Last edited:
My MS is a 2017… when you say auto trunk hatch means the power hatch? Or there’s something more fancier than the power hatch?
My 17’ MS has that power hatch, so does it mean I have the tech pack? But then again, no side trunk light. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes, you should have wiring ready to go for both rear hatch and rear footwell to add lights, as per instructions in the videos and from AO.

As Pete from AO mentions, there are also provisions for puddle lights in the doors. Just need to cut the factory vinyl with a razor. If you want to save a few bucks though, you can buy just a few AO lights for the more important areas like the trunk, frunk, and footwells. Then in places where the AO light replaced a factory light, you can transfer those factory lights to the puddle light spots. I've had mine for close to 3 years with no issues.

Reactions: dsiwireless

I think the trunk lights came with the Premium Interior Package.
My previous P85D had Tech Package but didn't have the trunk lights. My current P85D has Tech Package as well as Premium Interior Package and it came with the trunk lights.

Reactions: dsiwireless