TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No turn signal on reverse

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by GuyDude, Oct 15, 2019.

1. GuyDude

GuyDude Member

I’m on 32.2.12

If I’m in drive and I’m signaling to turn... once I place it in reverse it stops... if I try to re-enable turn signal while in reverse it only signals three times and stops.... Tesla please fix this bug asap!

• Like x 6
  2. destructure00

destructure00 Active Member

x2. Yesterday I tried to signal that I was going to back into a space someone was pulling out of and had to hold the stalk to keep the signal on.

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

I’m trying to think of a situation that you would want to have the turn signal on while in reverse. What kind of maneuver are you performing that requires this?

• Disagree x 5
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. tvad

tvad Member

See the post above yours.

• Like x 1
  5. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Once you’re reversing right in front of an available parallel parking spot isn’t that obvious enough that you’re backing into that spot?

• Disagree x 2
  6. tvad

tvad Member

#6 tvad, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    You asked a question. An answer was provided. I’d recommend asking the person who wrote that post.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I commend you for using your turn signal in that situation. That is not something I have done in 50 years of driving.

I agree that Tesla should fix the issue raised by @GuyDude but I don’t consider it an urgent “ASAP” issue.

• Like x 7
  8. DopeGhoti

DopeGhoti Active Member

I also use the turning signal when preparing to reverse out of a spot to signal the direction I intend to turn the car in. I know I'm very much the exception to the rule in doing this, but:

• It makes sense to me, and
    • Sometimes other drivers on approach are happy to let me egress and give them a spot

• Like x 3
  9. Tron 3

Tron 3 Member

If I saw someone in the mirror behind me as I was attempting to back into a spot is the only scenario in the universe that I can imagine that would almost warrant a signal, in which case you would get my vote for the most courteous driver. I doubt it would even occur to me, just say'n.

10. mptpro

mptpro Member

Everytime you're going in reverse and not going 100% straight.

• Like x 2
  11. gcmak

gcmak Member

I mean honestly...I'm in SF so we more or less have to parallel park at some point or get out of tricky driveways...so having a signal on is kinda necessary even in reverse. Guess they only did their testing in my hometown of Fremont lol.

• Like x 2
  12. destructure00

destructure00 Active Member

It was less courteous and more "that's mine, you can't have it" ;)

• Funny x 1
  13. 9-Volt

9-Volt Member

I came on here because I thought I was on drugs. I noticed that the turn signal cuts off if you're going from drive to reverse (or vice versa) or if you hit the brakes while backing up. Thanks to this thread, I realize I wasn't hallucinating and it's clearly a bug that--to the OP's point--should be fixed ASAP.

FYI, our provincial insurer offers the following tips for people learning to drive. You should use your turn signal when you are: (1) parallel parking, or (2) backing into a parking stall.

upload_2019-10-15_21-39-23.png

Of course, if testing on a Tesla, remember to use hand signals to avoid being docked marks on your road test:

upload_2019-10-15_21-38-42.png

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  14. DopeGhoti

DopeGhoti Active Member

I don't think I've seen hand signals being used by a driver on purpose in my entire life. I once spent a couple of miles giving way to someone "signaling" that they wanted to move into the left lane (or turn left), but they just were sticking their arm out the window for some other reason I cannot fathom-- they ended up making a right (from the middle lane, of course)- still signaling left with their arm, and not at all with their actual turning signal.

• Informative x 1
  15. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

With the small single small reverse light on the TM3 I like to give as much warning to the traffic on the street (and pedestrians) as I can while I reverse out our steep driveway.

I could do it with hazards, but in any other vehicle I use the indicators but like others have mentioned I find I have to hold the stalk up to stop them going off.

16. Matt L

Matt L Active Member

What’s a turn signal?

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. trm2

trm2 Member

You used to drive a BMW, didn't you. :D

• Funny x 2
  18. DopeGhoti

DopeGhoti Active Member

I'd guess an M3 :)

19. St☰v☰

St☰v☰ Member

Or in any situation in SoCal. I, too, can't ever recall using my turn signal in reverse and I've been driving since 1970.

20. St☰v☰

St☰v☰ Member

Really, you never seen anyone flip a bird to another driver? :D

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1