Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No "Unlock charging port" button after completed charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged my Model X for the first time away from home at a free level 2 charger at the mall yesterday. When I got back to my car, the charging cycle was complete (full to 90%) and I was trying to figure out how to release the charging plug and SAE J1772 adapter. Everything I read online says that you should see an "unlock charging port" button on the charge screen upper right corner, but my "charging complete" screen didn't have a button. I had to change the charge limit slider so charging would start again to get the charge port unlock button. Has anyone else observed this? Does the keyfob "open charger door" button press unlock the charge port too? Sorry for the noob question.

I don't have an X, but I recall that on the rare occasions when I have used the J1722 adaptor to charge my S, I could remove the charging cable with adaptor attached just by pulling on it. When using that adaptor, it isn't locked to the charge port like a Supercharger or HPWC cable is. But perhaps I am not remembering that correctly.

If the J1772 handle is still plugged in, when you press down on the button (and the car is unlocked) the charge port should turn white which means it is unlocked. Use one hand on the J1772 adapter and one on the J1772 handle to pull both out at the same time.

If someone has already removed the J1772 handle and your adapter is locked in the charge port, this is when the unlock button should appear on the upper right corner of the charge screen. I have to do this every day as I charge at work, and when my charging slot is over the next person unplugs me and plugs in their car. My adapter remains locked until I get to the car, but the J1772 handle can be removed at any time.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Thanks. I'll have to take a closer look at the J1772 handle next time I use it. I didn't see a button but there was a press lever that the adapter hooked into. Maybe it's the same thing, and I didn't push it because I didn't want to detach the J1772 adapter.

I don't have an X, but I recall that on the rare occasions when I have used the J1722 adaptor to charge my S, I could remove the charging cable with adaptor attached just by pulling on it. When using that adaptor, it isn't locked to the charge port like a Supercharger or HPWC cable is. But perhaps I am not remembering that correctly.

I tried pulling on the charging cable handle to which the adapter was locked into and it wouldn't release from the charge port. I'll have to take a closer look at the adapter to see if there are latching surfaces the charge port can lock on it.

I charge frequently at a J1772 station at work. The adapter refuses to unlock about 50% of the time on the first try. I do, however, get the unlock button on my screen. Sometimes pushing it releases it immediately, other times, I just wait a few seconds more after pushing the button on the screen and it turns white and unlocks.

I have used my J1772 Charger for the last few days, since I had to move cars around to different bays. When I press the release button on the J1772 charge handle, the port turns white and releases. However, I have to re-lock the handle to remove the adapter and the charge cable at the same time. That makes it easier to remove the adapter from the Tesla Port. Then I remove the adapter from the Cable lastly.