Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No USB Music Since V.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new Model 3 Dual Motor would play my mp3 music files stored on a SanDisk 32 GB USB flash drive perfectly. The drive has about 14 GB of mp3 music files stored on it. It's formatted in FAT 32. Since the V.9 update, cannot listen to my music. Plugging in the drive causes the car to go into an endless reboot cycle . Removing the drive allows everything to return to normal. I've tried different flash drives, removed all non-essential files, and edited out any duplicate music files. No change results. However, if I only copy one song to the flash drive, the car will play it. From a Windows 10 perspective, I think that the car cannot find memory to store the file index of the flash drive . Without any music files , I haven't even tried making the camera storage drive.
Any thoughts ?

Hi, thanks for writing. My music is organized by each Artist having a separate folder. Tomorrow, I'm going to try just copying one folder to the flash drive. If that works, I'll try two. I think I'll bring my laptop in the car along with a thermos of black coffee. This may take some time. The weird thing is that it worked effortlessly until the new software installed. Maybe the new features consumed some additional onboard memory or processing power. Truth be told, I can survive without my personal music library. The car's streaming music service is very good. I would mostly like to understand what's happened. I wonder if this is indirectly related to the planned computer board and processor upgrade next year?

I have numerous USB music player issues since v9. It stopped reading music files from my USB many times. Sometimes I have to reboot, sometimes I have to re-insert the drive, sometimes I have to do both multiple times before mp3s start showing up. I have not been able to identify the issue. I am very annoyed by this shitty music player. This is supposed to be 1 of the most advanced infortainment systems out there yet my cars from 2010s have 0 issue playing mp3 files. It gets progressively worse from v7 to v8 and now v9.

I don't know if the newest firmware with Navigate on Autopilot sill solve or fix some of it. Finger crossed.

I am on 39.7 and noted just the opposite - I have the TeslaCam and music drive on a USB splitter ( Sabrent Premium 3 port) and they are working just fine and even the USB music (64 GB Corsair Voyager) folders are all in order, better from before!