Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No used 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D's pop up on the CPO site and are gone fast. There is also one or two on Autotrader. I'd get a 85D but I like the red calipers and spoiler and like the option to get more power so I am patiently waiting for a P85D....the + suspension is the P85D is king.
That's going to be hard to find!
But would definitely be worth it!

I don't remember which VIN number tesla ended the + suspension with but here's an early P85D
85 kWh Performance Model S P65196 | Tesla Motors

might be worth calling in and asking about it.

Last edited:
I think most of the folks who bought the 85D weighed the pros and cons of the P models and decided that balanced power was better and in an EV range is king. To go from 85D to P85D you will spend an extra $20,000 AND more importantly give up range and balance.

OTOH, most AWD high dollar performance cars are not designed for balanced power. You want more power in the back, for performance. That goes all the way back to the IMSA Audi Quatros. As far as range, the P85D is my third MS. Range charge = 249. With Supercharger growth in the last 24 months, I honestly don't think any of the 85, or 90, kwh cars make that big a difference. The 70kwh cars, and charging on the coasts, are where some of the best value has shown up, IMO.

OTOH, most AWD high dollar performance cars are not designed for balanced power. You want more power in the back, for performance. That goes all the way back to the IMSA Audi Quatros. As far as range, the P85D is my third MS. Range charge = 249. With Supercharger growth in the last 24 months, I honestly don't think any of the 85, or 90, kwh cars make that big a difference. The 70kwh cars, and charging on the coasts, are where some of the best value has shown up, IMO.

I live in Southwest Missouri. Take at look at the superchargers around me. Big ole empty spot. For a lot of folks like me 15 miles of range is a big deal. You folks on the coasts have the luxury of superchargers all around. We're getting there. If the 2016 map is fulfilled it will help the situation in this part of the country a lot, but for now, range is king.

I live in Southwest Missouri. Take at look at the superchargers around me.

Look? I drove the Kansas City - St. Louis divide several months ago. So, I feel 'ya and wasn't commenting on MO as much as the coasts.

Congrats on the new SC, outside Columbia, MO. I know it doesn't compare to the splotches many of us may take for granted.

The same situation in Norway, there are not so many 85D and 70D on sale yet compare to P85.
I guess if new AuoPilot 2.0 comes, new 100KWh battery, new ventilation seats and some other new feature in Model S, then we will see more 85D on sale :)
So far I decided to go for the new 85D, otherwise it will take ages for me to wait for new coming features.

When is AP 2.0 supposed to come out? What are the new features?

These are still $101-110k before incentives. Might as well order new right?

Model S 90D 102694 | Tesla Motors
Model S 90D 105907 | Tesla Motors
Model S 90D 105934 | Tesla Motors
Model S 90D 105951 | Tesla Motors
Model S 90D 106102 | Tesla Motors
Model S 90D 107965 | Tesla Motors
Model S 90D 109181 | Tesla Motors

For example, this one priced out exactly is $105,500 before incentives.
They are selling it for $105,200 before incentives with 1000 miles. They don't negotiate the price so why not order new? There isn't dramatic price savings.

Last edited:
These are still $101-110k before incentives. Might as well order new right?

Model S 90D 102694 | Tesla Motors
Model S 90D 105907 | Tesla Motors
Model S 90D 105934 | Tesla Motors
Model S 90D 106102 | Tesla Motors
Model S 90D 107965 | Tesla Motors
Model S 90D 109181 | Tesla Motors

For example, this one priced out exactly is $105,500 before incentives.
They are selling it for $105,200 before incentives with 1000 miles. They don't negotiate the price so why not order new? There isn't dramatic price savings.

Hey guys, I'm surprised how quickly these sold. I must be missing something, but isn't a brand new pre order about the same price before incentives?

Hey guys, I'm surprised how quickly these sold. I must be missing something, but isn't a brand new pre order about the same price before incentives?

Almost new but available immediately (i.e. before the end of the year) has the following advantages:
1. If trading in another car, you don't need trade now and find something to driver for 2 months. An alternative is to take a hit in your trade-in depreciation as you roll into new year.
2. You can take your federal $7500 in 2015 taxes, not 2016.
3. You get to enjoy it for the holidays

Btw, 85D's do show up on CPO, but they are in high demand, especially since 85D's got the 5.2s to 4.2s 0-60mph improvement basically making it as fast as the old P85 but with AWD (sadly, the 691hp update for P85D's never came as many who paid the extra $20K expected). There seems to be one 85D CPO available now with 3K miles on it: Model S 85D 086737 | Tesla Motors