Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

No vampire drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is on 2019.20.4.2.

I have been away from home for the past two weeks and the car is left plugged in the garage. I checked on the car once or twice every day, and the battery level has been near constant at 253 to 254 miles (it fluctuates, and the limit was set at ~80%). There's no sign of vampire drain. The interior temperature has been around 70 according to the app.

The car may be in such an ideal ambient condition that it doesn't suffer from vampire drain, but that's extremely unlikely IMHO. One more likely explanation is that the charger keeps topping the battery off. However, my past experience was that the charging algorithm doesn't start charging until the battery drains more than 5% below the set limit (or until the battery level is down to ~238 miles in my case). Is there any observed changes in the charger behavior with 2019.20.4.2?

The car has been doing top ups when connected to power for the last few releases. I don’t know when exactly this changed. It seems to behave differently when you have scheduled charging (doesn’t seem to top up very often).

If you turn on notifications you should see the top ups happening.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
My X has not been used for 11 days. In that time the battery has dropped 3%, right about 1 Rated Mile per day. I'm usually running 1%/day, about 3 RM/day. This is the first time I've noticed the reduced drain. I'm on 2019.20.4.2. We use the 3 too often to see much of a drop.

Looks like it was also fairly low on 2019.20.2.1, per TeslaFi so I'm not sure if this predates my current version or not.

ETA: I use scheduled charging. No charging took place for the 11 days, per TeslaFi. And, obviously, TeslaFi is active (with Sleep Mode set) and not draining the battery.

I have had my MR M3 since November 2018 and I have always seen at least 1% loss overnight except these past three weeks. Don’t know what happened but we were for four days on vacation during the 4th of July holiday week, left the car in the garage unplugged at 44% charged. I turned on the Tesla app one day before we were coming back and to my big surprise battery was still at 44%. When we came home the next day I couldn’t believe my eyes the battery was still at 44%. There was a message on the screen asking me to turn WiFi on. Not sure how the WiFi was turned off but it’s possible that could be it. For the last two weeks I have been turning off the WiFi when coming from work and I’m not seeing any loss overnight. I have no clue what happened, but I am very happy if finally there is a fix to reduce phantom drain:)

The car has been doing top ups when connected to power for the last few releases. I don’t know when exactly this changed. It seems to behave differently when you have scheduled charging (doesn’t seem to top up very often).

If you turn on notifications you should see the top ups happening.

What he said ^^^

If you have scheduled charging does it top up ever over the next 24 hours? I thought it would only star a charge at that scheduled time (daily) and never top up in between?

We were on vacation for 16 days, left the car parked in the garage at 74%. Checked it only once while on vacation. When we came back the battery charge was at 68%. Pretty impressive, only 6% loss for 16 days, while parked. I was expecting 1% battery charge loss a day instead there was 0.375% loss a day. Not sure if there is software improvement or weather or that I left WiFi off but I am very happy. Curious to know if phantom drain has improved for other owners. I own a 2018 MR. Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: darth_vad3r