Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Vented / Air Conditioned Seat Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No vented or A/C seats is a complete deal breaker in Arizona (Phoenix, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley). Think about it this way, a 2004 Lincoln Navigator has Air Conditioned (not just vented) seats.... a 2007 Lexus has vented seats. The fact this is a $1,290 option 10 years ago and Tesla doesn't have it for the Model 3 , S or X shows how constrained they are as a manufacturer.

View attachment 238667

German A4/C class, BMW 3 series, none of them have a vented seat option I am aware of.

Tesla can't deliver everything to everyone at the price point of the model 3.

Sometimes a feature is left off as an up sell to get to the next model.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I've owned cars with perforated and cars with solid leather seats. Perforation works, even if not forced-air-ventilated. Perforated seats are like perforated paper though, easier to tear. I had a Toyota where the perforated leather tore on the lower part of the seat after 12 years, but I could see them tearing sooner depending on quality and use. I wish Tesla would have at least perforated the seat backs since they do not experience as much weight and wear as the part you sit on. Also, the seat backs are the only area I noticed a major difference in perf vs non-perf. I wonder if it's possible to perforate the back portion after the fact.

I've owned cars with perforated and cars with solid leather seats. Perforation works, even if not forced-air-ventilated. Perforated seats are like perforated paper though, easier to tear. I had a Toyota where the perforated leather tore on the lower part of the seat after 12 years, but I could see them tearing sooner depending on quality and use. I wish Tesla would have at least perforated the seat backs since they do not experience as much weight and wear as the part you sit on. Also, the seat backs are the only area I noticed a major difference in perf vs non-perf. I wonder if it's possible to perforate the back portion after the fact.

A coworker has a Nissan that has perforated leather and it's torn to crap. Ripped everywhere because the perforations are natural places for it to tear.

His car is about 15 years old but he said the seats started to tear in year 5-6 of ownership.

@AZ-3, you seem concerned about the lack of cooled seats, may I suggest these beauties:
7c50efabf4c20a1b33b61d6fae2ae4eb--pink-leather-car-pictures.jpg

Ventilated seats only push out cabin air whereas cooled/air-conditioned seats push out cooled/air-conditioned air!

Holy crow! That's another variation that I didn't realize existed.

It appears I've got cooled/air conditioned seats as my car has different strengths of cooling, just like it has different strengths of heating. Still think sheepskin is a better bet for AZ weather (which is about the same as my weather).

Holy crow! That's another variation that I didn't realize existed.

It appears I've got cooled/air conditioned seats as my car has different strengths of cooling, just like it has different strengths of heating. Still think sheepskin is a better bet for AZ weather (which is about the same as my weather).
Not sure what car you have, but I don't think many actually offer true air-conditioned seats unless it is pretty high-end car. Most just have fans that blow/suck the air through the perforations. The difference in strengths you feel are most likely just increase in fan speed.

Not sure what car you have, but I don't think many actually offer true air-conditioned seats unless it is pretty high-end car. Most just have fans that blow/suck the air through the perforations. The difference in strengths you feel are most likely just increase in fan speed.

Very possible it's just the increase in fan speed. Apparently, I know nothing about these kinds of seats. It's a Lexus ES350 with the Ultra Luxury package. Same amazing leather as the top line LS430, but it's Lexus' "base" model so it may or may not have "high end" options. It's a glorified Camry so the car magazines basically ignore it since it's not an "enthusiast" model like the other base Lexus model, the IS. Got the option package solely for the pano moonroof. Whatever else came in that monster package was just gravy.

Sure, but most don't.

Most IS350s do actually.

(and since that's the car my Model 3 is likely to replace it's the most obvious comparison for me personally- sadly coming up on 10 years since I bought it and Lexus has made 0 updates to the engine since then, just added a buncha weight to the car and made it slower and more expensive and dropped the actual performance version (ISF)

But for that matter other sport sedans around 50-55k (which is what the Model 3 sticker will be for non-black launch models depending on if you get EAP or not) offer them too...Including both the Mercedes C class and the Audi A4/ S4 you previously mentioned as NOT offering them.