TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No ventilated seat for ultra white seat, why?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by hungyip84, Aug 24, 2016.

1. hungyip84

hungyip84 Member

Given that MX have ventilated seat on Ultra White, I don't see the reason why it is not available on MS?

• Like x 1
  2. brkaus

brkaus Member

They probably do not have the rest of the interior components (dash, door panels, etc) available in white (yet). The other colors already exist and the interior parts would already be in place.

3. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

The rest of the interior is available in white, it's just not the ventilated/perforated seats in white. Currently only the solid (non-perforated) white is available

4. brkaus

brkaus Member

Sorry about that, my bad. I didn't have the top end model selected in the tool.

5. Ohji

Ohji Member

I was wondering this same thing! I have a hypothesis...

Tesla has been having some issues with the perforated ultra white seats on the Model X, and I bet they are holding off on offering the perforated ultra white synthetic leather in the S until they can work out some of the strength and durability issues.

See this thread: Anyone having problem with seat tears?

The above thread is just from this month, and an attached pic shows a small tear around one of the perforations. My guess is that the SCs have had to repair or replace a lot of the perforated ultra white seats in the Model X but the non perforated ones are proving to be more robust (since the material isn't real leather, the perforations are perhaps a point of structural weakness??).

Making the seats in house is probably a source of significant cost savings for Tesla, but not if they have to continuously replace a whole bunch of the seats under warranty! ;)

• Like x 1
  6. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

My theory is that the demand for the white ventilated seats in the X is eating up much of the supply, so they can't afford to offer them quite yet into the S. I assume they will eventually.