Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VINs in October?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I had done more research into the wait times, I'm super bummed seeing these posts with my Oct 1 order date and I'm stuck renting a car for my new job.

More importantly though in regards to the recent FSD price hike news: I got a SR+ with FSD as the only option, am I gonna have to pay 1000 more for that if I take delivery after Nov. 1? That would hurt not gonna lie.

For sure... one of our main motivators for buying now was the pain of seeing FSD jump in price this year. But it has to be that since you place the order the price is locked.... Right???

But I’m with you... I saw on the site that delivery was estimated at 2 weeks which made me want to buy sooner as I don’t like paying for things and waiting. I don’t mind waiting to purchase something, but waiting after you’ve committed to purchase always feels weird. As soon as I order, I get an email that says “don’t put your trade in before you get your VIN because we’ll have to reassess your trade value after 30 days”. Immediately, I think... 30 days?! How could it possibly go past 30 days when the estimate was promised at 2 weeks?

Elon, I wish I could hate you. But the M3 is just so good.

A friend of mine that ordered a week ago thought she'd have her car in 3 weeks. It's now extended to 6-8 weeks.
Same. They estimated 2 weeks. Actually what it said exactly was estimated delivery “within 2 weeks from order placed date”, which made it sound like it could be even less than 2 weeks. I’m hopeful they’ll still be able to hit that, but the spreadsheet and comments are making me reconsider. I guess it’s good that people are still posting delivery experiences on YouTube in October.

Did they give your friend an estimated delivery time frame?

She was contacted by the service center about a large order for Europe that had to get out, so her car is delayed. She's trading in so she hopes they still honor the price they gave her if she goes a little over the mileage they set. I think she'll be fine, but it indicated a trade in date of less than a month. I guess they'll need to revise it but keep the same price they promised. And I don't think she had the date yet. Just 6-8 weeks.

I think they delivered for the first 10 days in October - cars that they had in some form of stock after quarter end and could deliver them. I keep hearing about a European shipment, but Fremont puts out over 5000 a week.

A month of overseas shipments is 20,000 cars. Is Tesla going to ignore new US orders that long? I can't imagine it. How are they even going to get 20,000 cars out of San Francisco that fast?

I just pulled my trade from my online order - and made it "full cash pay". I can sell my trade locally to a dealer for more than Tesla can give me. It really makes no difference to me and I assume that possibly Tesla may deliver some US cars near term if they know that they are easy cash right away, etc.

All this is doing is screwing up a lot of people with loans and trade-ins that have a time-limitation. Why they don't tell the truth on their website is beyond me. And why are all the sales associates talking about delayed deliveries? It must mean pink slips for a lot of them. What's Tesla going to do, keep these people on the payroll to do nothing for one or two months?

Sorry, something is off here.

Tesla has always begun each quarter by producing vehicles for international deliveries. There are very large markets outside of the US waiting patiently for their cars. Once they fulfill these orders, they will produce cars for east coast US shipments, followed by Midwest and West Coast. They start the quarter building for locations with the longest shipment times, which would be Europe followed by Asia.

I don’t think you will see US shipments this month. I think it’s possible they will build some later in November though. They are probably telling the sales reps December to be conservative.

Tesla’s website has never attempted to match the lead times with actual production planning. There is no reason they couldn’t do this but they just never have. There are hundreds of posts in this forum complaining about this issue and it’s been going on for years now.

The beginning of the quarter is not the right time to try and buy a Tesla in the US if you are in a hurry. Tesla finished Q3 with over 100 cars in inventory in Southern California so there was plenty of opportunity to get your orders in before the end of September. Those who waited will have to be patient.

Placed my SR+ white on black order on Oct 1st. I’m from SoCal and still haven’t gotten my VIN. Got approved for a load through my bank and it’s good for 30days. I hope I get my delivery before Nov. 3rd or else I’ll have to reapply for the loan. This is soo frustrating especially when my loan is in the clock!

my owner adviser replied to my email asking about this rumor ..his reponse didnt even mention the rumor..he could easily be out of the loop, or not mentioning it so I dont cancel.

his response
"The Model 3 Performance you ordered: white on white is a very popular request.
It's been two weeks since you placed your order and I think we'll see a VIN number by the end of the month or sooner then another 10 days transit."

No October deliveries to be sure. But Tesla can easily build 25,000 cars for export in October - a daunting number to ship out of San Francisco. I can't imagine that Tesla will go much into November to ship to Europe or Asia.

But Tesla knows that US buyers have usually 1 month deadlines of loans and for trade-ins. Only a few people will just use all cash - especially if they have a car to trade. If Tesla goes much over 4 weeks, Tesla buyers will have problems.

When Tesla will start building cars for US purchase is not clear. There's a lot of demand in the US, despite what analysts say.

No October deliveries to be sure. But Tesla can easily build 25,000 cars for export in October - a daunting number to ship out of San Francisco. I can't imagine that Tesla will go much into November to ship to Europe or Asia.

But Tesla knows that US buyers have usually 1 month deadlines of loans and for trade-ins. Only a few people will just use all cash - especially if they have a car to trade. If Tesla goes much over 4 weeks, Tesla buyers will have problems.

When Tesla will start building cars for US purchase is not clear. There's a lot of demand in the US, despite what analysts say.
No Oct deliveries?!? Tesla cutting to close to my car loan deadline.

my owner adviser replied to my email asking about this rumor ..his reponse didnt even mention the rumor..he could easily be out of the loop, or not mentioning it so I dont cancel.

his response
"The Model 3 Performance you ordered: white on white is a very popular request.
It's been two weeks since you placed your order and I think we'll see a VIN number by the end of the month or sooner then another 10 days transit."

This is why I am saying that the verdict is out on this one. A sales advisor would know the real story. It affects them as much as you.

If he is afraid you will cancel, he will not talk about seeing a VIN number by the end of the month or sooner.

Ok maybe I’m overreacting. Looks like there are folks who ordered this month and are taking delivery soon. Difficult as it is, I’ll try to be patient... *refresh*

Attachments

• 8CFCDC07-DC59-474E-8C26-D336056DB892.jpeg
    8CFCDC07-DC59-474E-8C26-D336056DB892.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 96
Tesla has always begun each quarter by producing vehicles for international deliveries. There are very large markets outside of the US waiting patiently for their cars. Once they fulfill these orders, they will produce cars for east coast US shipments, followed by Midwest and West Coast. They start the quarter building for locations with the longest shipment times, which would be Europe followed by Asia.

I don’t think you will see US shipments this month. I think it’s possible they will build some later in November though. They are probably telling the sales reps December to be conservative.

Tesla’s website has never attempted to match the lead times with actual production planning. There is no reason they couldn’t do this but they just never have. There are hundreds of posts in this forum complaining about this issue and it’s been going on for years now.

The beginning of the quarter is not the right time to try and buy a Tesla in the US if you are in a hurry. Tesla finished Q3 with over 100 cars in inventory in Southern California so there was plenty of opportunity to get your orders in before the end of September. Those who waited will have to be patient.

Interesting. The spreadsheet doesn’t seem to have these gaps at the quarter points. But if it is true, bummer.

I wish I had done more research into the wait times, I'm super bummed seeing these posts with my Oct 1 order date and I'm stuck renting a car for my new job.

More importantly though in regards to the recent FSD price hike news: I got a SR+ with FSD as the only option, am I gonna have to pay 1000 more for that if I take delivery after Nov. 1? That would hurt not gonna lie.

Nope you'll pay $6k for FSD, your placed your order (and might even take delivery) before the price increase...

Ok maybe I’m overreacting. Looks like there are folks who ordered this month and are taking delivery soon. Difficult as it is, I’ll try to be patient... *refresh*

I ordered on Oct 1 and was given a delivery date of Oct 9th. For personal reasons, I couldn't make it. I just reordered.

I gather Tesla had 3000 cars in inventory at quarter end. Where I don't know. For some reason, they don't show online. Live in Bay Area and there is nothing available in a 200 mile radius. Not even the car I could accept delivery of on the 9th?

My question is that if Tesla is delivering next to nothing in the US over the next month or so, what are they going to do with the staff? All this is conflicting. They could not be delivering nothing - perhaps a few?

We have a lot of rumors, etc. - but no solid information. I did go over threads from last quarter and cars did get delivered after the first month. Some models and colors seem to take longer (as well as cars sold with FSD).

Yes, it's difficult being patient - especially in a vacuum of information.

Interesting. The spreadsheet doesn’t seem to have these gaps at the quarter points. But if it is true, bummer.

The spreadsheets and threads do not have gaps at quarter points - true. I really don't know where these December rumors are coming from. Tesla did not make it's Q3 numbers - perhaps it come from outside the company? Saying that the earliest delivery is in December will only drive down sales - the last thing they need right now.