Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VINs in October?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the sticky-post delivery spreadsheet in this forum, one can sort by any column--including VIN date. From September 2019 backwards, it looks like there are multiple VINs assigned every day in a fairly steady progression.

However, there have only been two VINs assigned in all of October so far--both from people who had quite long waits to get that far.

Being a new-and-upcoming-owner I'm naturally anxious about my own order, which appears to be part of this early-October lull. T is... um... still making cars, right?

I just order a white/black performance with FSD on October 2nd. I had been following this forum for a month before, watching all the delayed orders pile up until the end of the quarter. So far, all signs point to Tesla going back to a European focus now...I won’t be surprised if we’re waiting until December for our delivery ahead of the next quarter end.

I have an Oct 4th build LR AWD (VIN in 511k range) that was originally scheduled for delivery next week but had to push delivery to arrange financing. When I was ordering on Tuesday, my OA said that all new US custom orders were getting scheduled for estimated end of December delivery with factory build slots in the first 2 weeks of December and until then factory will build mostly non-US spec cars. He was able to match me to a car that was in factory and awaiting transportation thus not needing additional transportation fee on my part.

Okay, I suppose that makes it officially time to go talk to the local dealer to find out what's up. Tesla says 2 weeks, they suggested maybe 3 weeks... end of December would be 10 weeks. It's not okay to just slip that sort of thing without talking.

There seems to be a trend in order to maximize their delivery count by end of quarter where they ship overseas at the beginning so that they are only having to deliver to nearby locations at the quarter's end.

This is all speculation of course, but seems like the case from what I have read around here.

I'm a 9/25 order patiently waiting.

I'll continue playing around with my diecast Tesla making electric whine noises.

I ordered white on white model 3 performance on the 29th
hope this rumor isnt true

when I ordered it said delivery "within 2 weeks" . ..I just checked now and if I were to place an order online the estimate says "2-3 weeks"
I really hope those estimates arent complete bs..id be ok with 4-5 weeks even..but damn, end of december?!

what were the estimates you guys have on your manage order page?

My Manage page's official estimate has always been--and continues to be--"Estimated Delivery: within 2 weeks from order placed date" Which would be within the next six days.

The dealership was a little less confident: they said it "might take three weeks." I took that to mean, 3-weeks-and-maybe-4-on-the-wide-outside.

If I had heard that it would be nearly 3 months, I might have gone a different direction.

thats my thought as well..
I emailed me OA and asked if he has heard anything of this rumor.
...he isnt the best at returning emails so ill let you know if I hear anything..im expecting something like "no, I havent heard anything about that"

My Manage page's official estimate has always been--and continues to be--"Estimated Delivery: within 2 weeks from order placed date" Which would be within the next six days.

The dealership was a little less confident: they said it "might take three weeks." I took that to mean, 3-weeks-and-maybe-4-on-the-wide-outside.

If I had heard that it would be nearly 3 months, I might have gone a different direction.

I needed to re-order a vehicle that I had to cancel - because I wasn't able to pick it up. I just spoke to my local sales group and they said that any new orders now would be 6+ weeks (possibly December) and that priority is being given to international shipments.

One sales rep that I spoke to said that the long wait had already lost him a good amount of store sales - people were just walking away. I feel bad for these sales guys as all they make is $100 per sale.

So I guess I'll place a new order and see what Tesla comes up with in 6 weeks. Not much I can do about it.

I ordered a Blue SR+, black interior, standard wheels on Oct 2nd. Earlier this week I noticed my local store had two LR AWD of the same color config in ‘inventory’. They even showed vin numbers. (I should have recorded them. Yesterday one was gone so I called and asked to change my order to the remaining one. The sales rep said he did it and I got an order update, but he then stated that the car was still in transportation and could be a week or two out. :( My concern is that I don’t see the vin number on my account. Should I be worried about this?

I ordered a Blue SR+, black interior, standard wheels on Oct 2nd. Earlier this week I noticed my local store had two LR AWD of the same color config in ‘inventory’. They even showed vin numbers. (I should have recorded them. Yesterday one was gone so I called and asked to change my order to the remaining one. The sales rep said he did it and I got an order update, but he then stated that the car was still in transportation and could be a week or two out. :( My concern is that I don’t see the vin number on my account. Should I be worried about this?

Nope I don't see my VIN on my online account either but my OA can see it on his system...

I ordered 10/6, White SR+, blk interior....I really hope this Dec rumor isn't true.

I have an Oct 4th build LR AWD (VIN in 511k range) that was originally scheduled for delivery next week but had to push delivery to arrange financing. When I was ordering on Tuesday, my OA said that all new US custom orders were getting scheduled for estimated end of December delivery with factory build slots in the first 2 weeks of December and until then factory will build mostly non-US spec cars. He was able to match me to a car that was in factory and awaiting transportation thus not needing additional transportation fee on my part.

I ordered 10/6, White SR+, blk interior....I really hope this Dec rumor isn't true.
I see 17 of that configuration in the US right now..so I think you have nothing to worry about, you could easily have any of them shipped to your location or maybe one is already near you.

For the performance..there are only 4 in the US, none with my spec. im guessing im in for a wait!

Dealer here says that the rumors of December-timeframe delivery are unrealistic. My associate agrees that there is a higher percentage of cars being prepared for overseas delivery right now, but that she is continuing to see VINs assigned and vehicles delivered locally as well. She checked my car's status and noted that there were no "exceptions" in play: that it's simply enqueued for build-and-delivery, and that she still expects to see it completed by the end of October.

I guess we'll see.

Dealer here says that the rumors of December-timeframe delivery are unrealistic. My associate agrees that there is a higher percentage of cars being prepared for overseas delivery right now, but that she is continuing to see VINs assigned and vehicles delivered locally as well. She checked my car's status and noted that there were no "exceptions" in play: that it's simply enqueued for build-and-delivery, and that she still expects to see it completed by the end of October.

I guess we'll see.

I spoke to another sales associate at the local dealer today. They reiterated that Delivery would be likely in December. Since Tesla did not make it's numbers for Q3, it may have decided that they need to tap the European market - in which there is a high demand.

It doesn't make sense, but I keep hearing December. I guess that's just the way it is. The sales staff seem to be privy to something we (buyer) are not hearing or seeing. Most of them are saying the same thing .. 6-8 weeks. IMO, It's a foolish move as it will further the image of Tesla being a boutique car maker.

I spoke to another sales associate at the local dealer today. They reiterated that Delivery would be likely in December. Since Tesla did not make it's numbers for Q3, it may have decided that they need to tap the European market - in which there is a high demand.

It doesn't make sense, but I keep hearing December. I guess that's just the way it is. The sales staff seem to be privy to something we (buyer) are not hearing or seeing. Most of them are saying the same thing .. 6-8 weeks. IMO, It's a foolish move as it will further the image of Tesla being a boutique car maker.

They’re privy to seeing the exact same thing happen last quarter...lots of people who ordered in July and august that didn’t see delivery until late September.

I see 17 of that configuration in the US right now..so I think you have nothing to worry about, you could easily have any of them shipped to your location or maybe one is already near you.

For the performance..there are only 4 in the US, none with my spec. im guessing im in for a wait!

Tesla no longer ships cars between regions according to my OA unless you are willing pay a transportation fee...

Reactions: Someguy4747
They’re privy to seeing the exact same thing happen last quarter...lots of people who ordered in July and august that didn’t see delivery until late September.

Are they just expecting that to happen - or do they know that will happen? There is a big difference. It's weird. Why is the Website sometimes "2-3 weeks" or "two weeks"? Tesla changed it from 2 weeks to 2-3 weeks. Why not tell the truth and say 6-8 weeks?

I am really confused. And they make 5000 Model 3's a week. Why divert ALL of them to Europe? They just turn off their US customers. Not everyone is as Tesla - centric as people posting here.

Tesla has to look reliable and predictable. If not, people will worry we are buying DeLorean's in 2019-2020.

Hopefully the rumors of December deliveries are not true. If it is true then why buy now when you can wait a little longer and get a 2020 model 3? I’m still deciding on when to order and if delivery is now in December then I’ll definitely wait til 2020. That’s B.S. if they’re filling International orders first (if true) and making U.S. buyers wait til December!