Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VINs in October?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully the rumors of December deliveries are not true. If it is true then why buy now when you can wait a little longer and get a 2020 model 3? I’m still deciding on when to order and if delivery is now in December then I’ll definitely wait til 2020. That’s B.S. if they’re filling International orders first (if true) and making U.S. buyers wait til December!

I don't think it really matters much if you have a 2019 or 2020 Model 3. In terms of value and resale, I think it matters more about mileage and condition than anything.

I really don't know if Sales Associates know much about delivery beyond a point. They see what has happened in the prior quarters, but I doubt Tesla will let them know of vital sales strategy.

I know lots of people who are considering Tesla's - and they are the type to easily afford them - older, established, cash paying, etc. They all say the same thing ... why do you want to wait for a car that isn't even a high end model? People are so conditioned to walking in an getting a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche, etc. - that they balk at the concept of waiting for anything.

The biggest hindrance to demand for the Model 3 (or other Models) is the (lack of) ease of availability. Sure, some get delivered quickly, but many others don't and won't.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
Right now it's just rumors. It makes sense that after an end of quarter US push Tesla would focus on catching up other markets that had to wait. As someone mentioned, they make a lot more cars per week now. Let's see how long before they shift back to US deliveries before being too critical.

Are they just expecting that to happen - or do they know that will happen? There is a big difference. It's weird. Why is the Website sometimes "2-3 weeks" or "two weeks"? Tesla changed it from 2 weeks to 2-3 weeks. Why not tell the truth and say 6-8 weeks?

I am really confused. And they make 5000 Model 3's a week. Why divert ALL of them to Europe? They just turn off their US customers. Not everyone is as Tesla - centric as people posting here.

Tesla has to look reliable and predictable. If not, people will worry we are buying DeLorean's in 2019-2020.

thats exaclty what I am thinking..they obviously are changing estimated delivery times on the website..so youd think they would be up front about things. Website still says within 2-3 weeks though.. also read about them making over 5000 cars a week..thats a lot of cars..how many non-US backorders could there really be?
hopefully its a rumor..

I called a local OA last night and he confirmed to me that new orders would not be fulfilled/delivered until December bc of vehicles being pushed out to Asia. Since I wanted delivery in Dec. to take advantage of expiring tax credits, he recommended that I submit an order ASAP to ensure that I would be in possession come Dec., either with my custom order or an inventory matched vehicle. Will see what happens!

I ordered a Blue SR+, black interior, standard wheels on Oct 2nd. Earlier this week I noticed my local store had two LR AWD of the same color config in ‘inventory’. They even showed vin numbers. (I should have recorded them. Yesterday one was gone so I called and asked to change my order to the remaining one. The sales rep said he did it and I got an order update, but he then stated that the car was still in transportation and could be a week or two out. :( My concern is that I don’t see the vin number on my account. Should I be worried about this?

I received the text to schedule my delivery appointment this morning. Scheduled for delivery on Oct. 23rd.

thats exaclty what I am thinking..they obviously are changing estimated delivery times on the website..so youd think they would be up front about things. Website still says within 2-3 weeks though.. also read about them making over 5000 cars a week..thats a lot of cars..how many non-US backorders could there really be?
hopefully its a rumor..
It’s not a rumor. Look what happened last quarter. It’s just a repeat. And since when has Tesla’s website been an accurate representation of reality. Just come to terms with the fact that you might not see your car until Dec. I have already come to terms with it and am just padding my down payment more.

That’s pr
It’s not a rumor. Look what happened last quarter. It’s just a repeat. And since when has Tesla’s website been an accurate representation of reality. Just come to terms with the fact that you might not see your car until Dec. I have already come to terms with it and am just padding my down payment more.
That’s pretty how I feel. I’m not in a hurry to get into the Tesla, my Bmw is just fine for now. I’m planning on not getting it till December but if I get it before then that will be a pleasant surprise.

i wish I could agree with you..but I am in a hurry to get the car.
placed the order on sept 29th thinking I would at least have it within 4 weeks or so. Its dissapointing that tesla has an estimate on the site (which they even change periodically) that has absolutely nothing to do with reality.
I made the mistake of renting a performance model 3 off turo and I ordered mine the next day. Maybe if I hadnt already driven one I wouldnt be so damn impatient..its seriously hard for me to wait this out. Im not a patient person

Yeah Tesla’s available information has always been lacking in my opinion. Their customer service and delivery performance is also subpar from what I have read. But that being said, I’ve never been as excited to get a car. I’ve been saving a down payment since May and driving a soul eroding Prius for two years to make this happen. A few more months won’t kill me and will only add to my down payment.

Did they do this last year - post “2-3 weeks” on their website and in reality deliver in 10 weeks. I assume that difference in date of delivery time is just unintentional?

If there are only a few cars in stock locally in the US for anyone to buy - are they really that intent to shut out their “home country “? Just think if they had sales advisors who could actually sell (and not give unenthusiastic test drives), with some stock on hand (at most 2 weeks out), how many cars they could actually “sell”?

It’s not like this strategy of shutting out US deliveries for 7-10 weeks while they sent cars overseas helped make their numbers last quarter (Q3). They only sold about 2500 more cars than the prior quarter. Now they are doing very little to build a solid base in the USA. People have trades and financing to deal with - now all “on hold”.

If you were running a cash-short car company, would you concentrate sales to build a following, or would you spread yourself thin all over the world?

Tesla, please change the dates on your website!

Did they do this last year - post “2-3 weeks” on their website and in reality deliver in 10 weeks. I assume that difference in date of delivery time is just unintentional?

If there are only a few cars in stock locally in the US for anyone to buy - are they really that intent to shut out their “home country “? Just think if they had sales advisors who could actually sell (and not give unenthusiastic test drives), with some stock on hand (at most 2 weeks out), how many cars they could actually “sell”?

It’s not like this strategy of shutting out US deliveries for 7-10 weeks while they sent cars overseas helped make their numbers last quarter (Q3). They only sold about 2500 more cars than the prior quarter. Now they are doing very little to build a solid base in the USA. People have trades and financing to deal with - now all “on hold”.

If you were running a cash-short car company, would you concentrate sales to build a following, or would you spread yourself thin all over the world?

Tesla, please change the dates on your website!
Lol yes. I don’t think it has ever read anything other than 2-3 weeks. Go to the performance waiting room post and read how long people waited last quarter.

didnt they just build a factory in china? cant they make the cars for asia there?
supposed to be up and running very soon right?

also..one person says their sa said orders are going to europe..then another person said their person told them asia.

so it seems as if nobody knows anything at this point

Yes gigafactory 3 is in China but is not currently producing vehicles. No one seems to know when they will start but I would expect a slow ramp up of production and for the US factory to take up the slack in the mean time. My SA told me focus is on European deliveries at the time, granted that’s not official but hearsay but I’ve seen it multiple places from multiple people and the fact is no one seems to be taking deliveries of at least performance models right now and inventory shows very low online. None in my area and I’m in southern CA.

Lol yes. I don’t think it has ever read anything other than 2-3 weeks. Go to the performance waiting room post and read how long people waited last quarter.

Looking back over a number of threads, performance models seem to be the slowest. White and white interiors seem to be slow too, as are FSD cars for some reason. I would expect that Tesla is intentionally slow about SR+ cars as they have the lowest margins on them.

While I see that other trims and colors have taken longer to deliver in the US, they don't seem to be on the order of the 8-10 week delivery scale that people are talking about now.

I 'm holding judgment, and will assume the worst (December), though the car may come earlier. I just don't see that whole Fremont factory exclusively producing cars for Europe and Asia. I don't think that USA Tesla deliveries are just an end of quarter phenomenon. If they started laying off sales staff, etc. - then it is possibly true. But what do all the USA sales/delivery people do - go on long vacations? It doesn't make sense.

I don't have much faith in what Tesla sales reps say anyway. Many of them seem to know very little about the cars. We need some real information here to see if the Tesla website is quoting BS delivery times - and a 10 week reality is over the top, if the website quotes 2.

Hopefully the rumors of December deliveries are not true. If it is true then why buy now when you can wait a little longer and get a 2020 model 3? I’m still deciding on when to order and if delivery is now in December then I’ll definitely wait til 2020. That’s B.S. if they’re filling International orders first (if true) and making U.S. buyers wait til December!
I'm in the same boat as you but am worried about pricing come Jan '20 when the $1.8k Fed Credit no longer applies. Will Tesla compensate for that in one form or another? My current lease expires in late January and am set on a 3 so really rolling the dice pushing the purchase into January...

I wish I had done more research into the wait times, I'm super bummed seeing these posts with my Oct 1 order date and I'm stuck renting a car for my new job.

More importantly though in regards to the recent FSD price hike news: I got a SR+ with FSD as the only option, am I gonna have to pay 1000 more for that if I take delivery after Nov. 1? That would hurt not gonna lie.