Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VINs in October?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The spreadsheets and threads do not have gaps at quarter points - true. I really don't know where these December rumors are coming from. Tesla did not make it's Q3 numbers - perhaps it come from outside the company? Saying that the earliest delivery is in December will only drive down sales - the last thing they need right now.
Right? Ok. I’m breathing semi-normally. I’m just going to imagíne myself waking up tomorrow to a text about delivery scheduling.

I think we all over reacting. Let’s just calm down, relax, and stare at our phone for that call or text.
We can't continuously stare at our phones. We'll just want to buy new phones too. The best thing is to find something else to occupy ourselves with.

I think the fact is that nothing is to be expected with Tesla. It's a very confusing organization that can be totally confused itself at times. I will say that there probably is a big European shipment going out, but when our cars get fulfilled is unclear. I think we can probably not expect anything through the end of the month. Then again, this company is notorious for doing one thing, and completely reversing itself a week later.

There were cars (according to the threads) delivered at this time last quarter. And the Xmas season probably isn't a good time to have a Tesla crunch. I will take whatever Tesla sales reps say with a grain of salt - one told me that if I got 19" wheels, the car would be 1" higher!

In the coming days and weeks, lets see if people can keep this thread going with facts - some order or delivery development, rumors, etc. That's all we have to go on. I'm not going to expect anything as I'm likely wrong.

Last edited:
We can't continuously stare at our phones. We'll just want to buy new phones too. The best thing is to find something else to occupy ourselves with.

I think the fact is that nothing is to be expected with Tesla. It's a very confusing organization that can be totally confused itself at times. I will say that there probably is a big European shipment going out, but when our cars get fulfilled is unclear. I think we can probably not expect anything through the end of the month. Then again, this company is notorious for doing one thing, and completely reversing itself a week later.

There were cars (according to the threads) delivered at this time last quarter. And the Xmas season probably isn't a good time to have a Tesla crunch. I will take whatever Tesla sales reps say with a grain of salt - one told me that if I got 19" wheels, the car would be 1" higher!

In the coming days and weeks, lets see if people can keep this thread going with facts - some order or delivery development, rumors, etc. That's all we have to go on. I'm not going to expect anything as I'm likely wrong.
Will do once I get my vin and delivery date I’ll post here in this thread. I’m from SoCal to give everyone a better idea

Funny about Tesla they go reverse to fwd based on Tweets (remember the stores closing tweet?) Although the sales rep might be off with dimension but I'm curious what different size wheels/tires can do as far as lifting the car higher (till I get my Y!)

I don't see anything wrong with the theory that Tesla is pushing international orders at the beginning of the new quarter. By the end of the quarter, they would have delivered these orders as well as the NA orders that would be built after.

Even if they dedicate the entire month of October for international orders, 20k cars aren't really much knowing that some countries with decent populations still have existing orders to be fulfilled. Also, there is a mix of new markets, or existing markets that just got the ability to order the Model 3.

I'm between 2 Teslas as I just sold my Model S, and it's painful not to have a car, but I will try to be patient as the company is still limited in resources (batteries, production lines, etc.)

I'm guessing our turn will be in mid November or the beginning of December.

I don't see anything wrong with the theory that Tesla is pushing international orders at the beginning of the new quarter. By the end of the quarter, they would have delivered these orders as well as the NA orders that would be built after.

Even if they dedicate the entire month of October for international orders, 20k cars aren't really much knowing that some countries with decent populations still have existing orders to be fulfilled. Also, there is a mix of new markets, or existing markets that just got the ability to order the Model 3.

I'm between 2 Teslas as I just sold my Model S, and it's painful not to have a car, but I will try to be patient as the company is still limited in resources (batteries, production lines, etc.)

I actually think this approach is expected and practical seeing as they have o e factory producing these cars for all their markets both domestic and overseas. Gigafactory 3 will take some of this burden off once it’s up and running but we are not there yet.

Deliveries in early-mid November would be my guess. If a car hasn’t been built by end of October, it probably doesn’t have enough time to get loaded onto a ship, travel, go through customs, go to dealer, and be delivered. Exporting cars is very difficult, and 20,000 cars is a lot. Lots of sticking points in a complicated delivery route. Tesla can’t risk having unsold inventory at year end. It is not a profit and contributes to loss.

Gigafactory in China will be running, and Tesla has to stretch over one more quarter to meet numbers. Xmas rush for US and Canada orders is not great as, again, its risky. Remember, December is a month of delays, bad weather (even in California), and people shelling out money for many other things. Last quarter, deliveries picked up in second month (i.e. - August). Even then, Tesla got stuck with 3000 cars in stock at Q3 end.

So I would guess that Q4 will be like Q3. I would then guess that October orders will come before Thanksgiving, perhaps earlier. If they delay orders too long, I suspect there will be lots of cancellations. People posting here are eager. Many others want Teslas, but will not be 100% able for a long wait. When Teslas get to the point of really fast delivery (not now, obviously), they will sell a lot more of them. Again a guess, and Tesla is always full of surprises.

Called another dealer (for comparison purposes). They are quoting December - but admitting they are conservative estimates. Basically I think that they don't know.

I asked the sales rep - why is Tesla favoring European deliveries for a very long time over North Americans? She said, well - it isn't that bad.

Personally I think Tesla is trying to create demand by holding back deliveries. They figure that if N. American buyers have to wait, they will spread the word that Teslas are hard to get and buy now. It's probably working.

I guess I am just annoyed as I don't like being in a Tesla induced shortage. Q4 is not likely going to be like Q3. It's likely going to be harder to get a Tesla until Santa brings you one.