Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VINs in October?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called another dealer (for comparison purposes). They are quoting December - but admitting they are conservative estimates. Basically I think that they don't know.

I asked the sales rep - why is Tesla favoring European deliveries for a very long time over North Americans? She said, well - it isn't that bad.

Personally I think Tesla is trying to create demand by holding back deliveries. They figure that if N. American buyers have to wait, they will spread the word that Teslas are hard to get and buy now. It's probably working.

I guess I am just annoyed as I don't like being in a Tesla induced shortage. Q4 is not likely going to be like Q3. It's likely going to be harder to get a Tesla until Santa brings you one.

Dude, you’re waayyyy overthinking it. Once the 3rd quarter ended, they *sugar* the factory down, re-tool it for another region (left hand drive, different light assemblies, different wheels, etc.), fire it back up, and push out enough cars to meet the back order, plus some extra. Once that’s done, they’ll shut it down again, configure for NA again, and start pumping them back out to us.

This same exact thing happened last quarter. Yes, there are still like 200 cars in inventory, so people who are in that region, and order that spec, will get delivery then. Other than that, prepare to wait until December, maybe earlier if they fulfill the overseas orders sooner.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it because I cannot accept a delivery past 3rd week in Dec at the latest. My wife is having a knee replacement and she needs my help for 2-3 weeks solid. She's had one replaced before and it's really painful.

I thought I had the time ... so I ordered Oct 11th. Not much past December 15th for me I'm afraid. With all the holidays, it will be a mess getting delivery if they even schedule one. I guess I will just wait, and if I can get one by mid December or so - OK. If not, it's off to Mercedes I go.

This year up to today about 13000 Tesla 3's have been delivered in the Netherlands. According to some (lease company, news) about 10000 are in backorder, to be delivered ONLY this year, because the TAX law in NL changes per 1-1-2020 (tax goes up to twice the amount it was for electric vehicles delivered after 1-1-2020). These cars have been mostly ordered by lease-companies, on the premise they will be delivered this year.
So, that's understandable for that part of the market, I guess.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it because I cannot accept a delivery past 3rd week in Dec at the latest. My wife is having a knee replacement and she needs my help for 2-3 weeks solid. She's had one replaced before and it's really painful.

I thought I had the time ... so I ordered Oct 11th. Not much past December 15th for me I'm afraid. With all the holidays, it will be a mess getting delivery if they even schedule one. I guess I will just wait, and if I can get one by mid December or so - OK. If not, it's off to Mercedes I go.

I guess I could place a 2nd order in an alternative color - and take whatever vehicle comes first. Tesla does refund deposits.

Just to add, I ordered 10/6. Wasn’t expecting a 2-3 month wait (they told me 2 weeks when I placed my order), so they found me one in inventory a few states away but currently in transit. Hopefully they can switch the order and get it to me.

I was told that end of quarter (December) was a conservative estimate. They said (2 different SA's at two different locations) that late November was possible. I wonder if they all just make up stuff to keep us from going away?

How did you get them to search a few states away?

OK..so apparently there are new cars being added to US inventory..checked this morning and it was at 88 cars available in inventory. then later in the day it was 77..now its showing 102 cars in inventory
and when I searched performance models..it was only showing 3 for the last two days..now there is a new one listed (although it has 20 miles on it)..wonder if we will start seeing more new cars show up on the site or if these new listings are demos or used cars

I was told that end of quarter (December) was a conservative estimate. They said (2 different SA's at two different locations) that late November was possible. I wonder if they all just make up stuff to keep us from going away?

They simply did a search for inventory within a 500mile radius to see what was available (anything less than 500 miles away doesn’t require the transport fee). Then they searched beyond that. I’m in Atlanta so it just so happens that 500miles covers quite a bit of ground lol

Realized that I didn’t answer your question exactly. They offered to look, I didn’t have to ask.

I live in Tampa, October 8th ordered a Red 3LR AWD white interior with 19” wheels, Have a trade in. Concerned that with the possibility of the delivery being pushed out that my trade in value will decrease, asked delivery agent that if the delivery took 3 weeks would my trade need to be reappraised advised me that as long as the car has no more than a 1000 miles more than what I originally submitted that the trade-in value will remain as originally quoted. This will be impossible for me to do if the delivery is pushed out past 3 weeks, I’ll exceed the mileage and if the delivery pushes into December I will most likely cancel the order.

I live in Tampa, October 8th ordered a Red 3LR AWD white interior with 19” wheels, Have a trade in. Concerned that with the possibility of the delivery being pushed out that my trade in value will decrease, asked delivery agent that if the delivery took 3 weeks would my trade need to be reappraised advised me that as long as the car has no more than a 1000 miles more than what I originally submitted that the trade-in value will remain as originally quoted. This will be impossible for me to do if the delivery is pushed out past 3 weeks, I’ll exceed the mileage and if the delivery pushes into December I will most likely cancel the order.

Sorry to hear of your problem - that is unfortunate. This is a problem for lots of people. I'm selling my trade ASAP and will do with only one car. Not everyone can do that.

People with bank or credit union loans have a similar dilemma. They locked in loans thinking 2 (maybe 4) weeks from what the website says. All these financial issues have deadlines. If Tesla told us the truth consistently, we would know better how to handle it.

Okay, I suppose that makes it officially time to go talk to the local dealer to find out what's up. Tesla says 2 weeks, they suggested maybe 3 weeks... end of December would be 10 weeks. It's not okay to just slip that sort of thing without talking.
I spoke to sales rep and they stated Tesla cannot make the two week delivery. It’s an estimation that cannot be lived up to because of the massive amounts of orders. I took delivery of a model 3 performance FSD with 50 miles on it in the exact spec I wanted. It might be the best way to go instead of waiting for a custom build.

Ordered SR+ White on white on October 10, No Vin as well. I did call and talk to Tesla Cherry Creek here in Denver. They told me since I ordered with the first week or so of October that i should have my vehicle by November. He did confirm that they are concentrating on other markets for deliveries rights now. and that if you wait much longer to order that it could be December till you get your Model 3. Myf financing is good for 45 days so i hope its here before November 14th!!

Reactions: Cronn

just wait until you have a firm delivery date and get a Carmax quote they will match it and will probably be higher than what Tesla quoted you

Just spoke to the SA in Tampa and she validated that order are 6-8 weeks out and December is a more realistic expectation. Asked if I found a vehicle in another market could I pick the Tesla up in that market and have the local Tesla delivery center process my trade in and was advised they would not do that. At this point I'll hold my order and crunch the numbers whenever the car arrives,then decide if I'ms till willing to take delivery.

Ordered SR+ White on white on October 10, No Vin as well. I did call and talk to Tesla Cherry Creek here in Denver. They told me since I ordered with the first week or so of October that i should have my vehicle by November. He did confirm that they are concentrating on other markets for deliveries rights now. and that if you wait much longer to order that it could be December till you get your Model 3. Myf financing is good for 45 days so i hope its here before November 14th!!

Now that is the most reasonable time estimation I have heard. It makes sense and December delivery is just possible for people who wait much longer.

I ordered a AWD Model 3 in red in Tx on 9/28. Was delivered a day early on 10/14. Texas is one of the states that they cannot direct sell in so that was really pushing it. There were no inventory cars available when i ordered at one of the galleries, they checked the 500 mile radius. It was the end of quarter and everything was gone. But I still got delivery in just over 2 weeks...having patience is the hardest part. It feels like forever but it was pretty smooth. I can’t imagine Tesla shutting down US deliveries for an entire month, it may be a week or two but a month creates too much backlog everywhere.

Reactions: dillon