Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VINs issued in 4 weeks. What's up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing on modelxtracker from today that someone from Galveston who reserved 12/15, config'd 1/11/16, confirmed 1/18/16 a 90D, not ludicrous or Performance, 6 seat, 22 inch silver wheel, metallic black ext. black leather, black headliner, ultrahigh stereo, premium package, dark ash, subzero, autopilot, smart air susp.
Is it possible that a non-P, non-ludicrous straight 90D has finally been conceived with a VIN????? Tracking ID is 1852. Can we confirm??? Tentative fist bump to you dude, or dudette.

It appears that this time 'round, they've randomized the VINs a bit. S's were produced in VIN order and Tesla watched as everyone put together stories about how well they were performing in production based upon that. Aside from the first 10 or 20, VIN order really doesn't mean anything. For Model X, I was surprised as I saw reports of some cars getting VIN's of 1xx when they confirmed their order one or two days after I confirmed ours, which got 5xx.

There were some of these late-delivery cases with Model S as well. In some cases, cars that reached QC had a critical problem discovered, were dismantled and re-made.

As I've said in a couple of other threads, I empathize with those folks who are seeing production cars delivered, yet are still waiting on Signature -- that happened to us as well. At least this time around, you receive a Signature discount, rather than paying an additional $6,500 to get your car later than an equivalent production model.

And yes, it's true that once you receive the car, all you want to do is drive 50 miles round trip to pick up a glass of juice or soda.
Can someone explain this "signature discount" as it relates to the overall price paid for your signature X and how the discount is received?

Has this really been validated? Maybe so, but I think dates given on a configuration on the website is not really validation. It is hard for me to imagine Tesla holding up a much needed $140K sale over $4K of rims. My own thought is if rims were really going to delay an order I would make the option temporarily unavailable or Out of Stock. I am ready to be flamed and educated...

Its all hearsay so far. And I will add to it.
Two orders confirmed on the same day. Reservation numbers hundreds apart.
Identical configs except one with 6 and one with 7 seats. 7 seat ordered 22 chrome, 6 seat 22 onyx.
VIN received on 7 seater, no VIN for 6 seater.

Weeks to get thru the line? You mean start to finish, actual production, weeks per car? Pretty sure that isn't correct. In my recollection, its 4 days of actual production, then there's QC/repairs, awaiting shipping, shipping, prepping, delivery.

Try months to get through the line! Our car (Prod VIN #3XX) began production around January 13th and is still in production (according to my DS). Quality control hasn't even begun, and then we have to wait for transport, service center preparations, and who knows what else.

Seeing on modelxtracker from today that someone from Galveston who reserved 12/15, config'd 1/11/16, confirmed 1/18/16 a 90D, not ludicrous or Performance, 6 seat, 22 inch silver wheel, metallic black ext. black leather, black headliner, ultrahigh stereo, premium package, dark ash, subzero, autopilot, smart air susp.
Is it possible that a non-P, non-ludicrous straight 90D has finally been conceived with a VIN????? Tracking ID is 1852. Can we confirm??? Tentative fist bump to you dude, or dudette.
I've emailed them to confirm its a standard X.

Can someone explain this "signature discount" as it relates to the overall price paid for your signature X and how the discount is received?
I believe it was basically options included in the Sigs that were an upcharge for regular production builds. Without going back and digging through threads I think it was the 6 or 7 seat configs, the tow package, and possibly the Autopilot activation.

I'm sure someone who recalls exactly will chime in and correct me though. ;-)

I've emailed them to confirm its a standard X.

thanks Paul
That was a mistake, I got a quick response and the person fixed their record already. Its indeed Performance.

It's not an explicit discount and you don't receive it... it's in the form of a pricing difference.

When you compared the initial Model S production pricing to the Model S signature pricing, for equivalent configurations signature owners paid $6,500 more (referred to as the "sig tax"). The two primary signature benefits were a unique color that identified them as signature cars, and receiving your car as one of the first 1,200. Some - like me - received our signature car weeks after the production cars started shipping, and so we really didn't get the cars first. There was also a downside - the first 3,000 cars or so (with a couple of anomalies in the 5xxx and 8xxx range) - were limited to slower supercharging as well.

When you compare the initial Model X production pricing to the Model X signature pricing, the equivalent configuration costs less for a signature (EDIT: typo, Model X) than for a production Model X. Hence, the "signature discount".

Last edited:
Reserved in September '15.
Invited January 11, 2016
Confirmed January 20, 2016

Got an 800s VIN last night. P90D, Midnight Silver, 20" silver wheels, Premium, Winter Package

One more data point for folks trying to analyze their own situations... Good luck out there everyone!

My apologies. I evidently didn't check the preformance option on Model X Tracker. It is indeed a P90D with all options except Ludicrous. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

- - - Updated - - -

That was a mistake, I got a quick response and the person fixed their record already. Its indeed Performance.
I am sorry for all the confusion and getting everyone's hope up. I evidently didn't check the preformance option on Model X tracker.

Invited January 11, 2016

Got an 800s VIN last night. P90D, Midnight Silver, 20" silver wheels, Premium, Winter Package

One more data point for folks trying to analyze their own situations... Good luck out there everyone!

I think booking P90D at your time is the best time because people who ordered in 2013 - 2014 waited much longer but delivery time will be very close to yours.

Invited January 11, 2016

Did you order Autopilot which was one of the qualifying options for the first group? If you didn't order autopilot this probably means they are on the final P90D group. If you did they are still on the first group.

I'll assume you checked already today? You and I confirmed on the same day and I got my VIN as of last night / this morning. Based on the signature, we have very similar builds.

Yeah, I checked several times, but as of now I HAVE A VIN!!!! -- '01101. Just appeared sometime within the last two hours. My post above was actually a bit confusing with the date, I was actually confirmed on January 19th, my DS contacted me on the 20th. I'm just happy to see progress. :)

Yeah, I checked several times, but as of now I HAVE A VIN!!!! -- '01101. Just appeared sometime within the last two hours. My post above was actually a bit confusing with the date, I was actually confirmed on January 19th, my DS contacted me on the 20th. I'm just happy to see progress. :)

Based on your post they are still working on the first group of P90Ds, those with premium option and autopilot.

Reservation #: 8143
Order Confirmed: 12/17/2015
VIN: 000251
VIN Assigned: 12/23/2015
Scheduled Deliver: 2/10/2016 - 2/17/2016
Delivert Service Center: Orlando. FL

P90D | Titanium Metalic Paint | Tan Leather | Ash wood decor | Light Headliner | 20" silver helix wheels | Premium upgrade package | Autopilot Convience Features | Six seat configuration (2-2-2) | Towing Package | 75 Amp Charging