Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No warning when hatch is open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh how I wish there were a few chimes when it is put into gear. Very nearly ran into the garage door when my kid opened up the trunk from the jump seats when I was inside the house and didn't notice the yellow on the IC. So close to tragedy...

My rear hatch was damaged due to my stupidity, and a unique situation where the overlay screen was up blocking the view of my rear camera, that would've alerted me to the hatch being open. The estimate is just under $4000. All it would take, is some software not allowing you to put it in reverse, if the hatch is open, unless you do some sort of manual override. I was quite lucky the damage wasn't worse, and it only hit the frame around my garage door, saving it from damage. The hinges, and glass could've been ruined. I know that I can adjust the height of the hatch opening. I had at lower, but I kept hitting my head on it, so I raised the limit to full open, knowing that I would see it in my rearview camera. Oh well, I am having to pay the "stupid tax"

Yeah, I also wish there was plenty of audible warning about the hatch being open. Maybe even a constant warning with a button to confirm/cancel the beeping. This is especially helpful with those that have the third row seating.

In my case I started backing up and my daughter who was in the rear-facing seats told me the door was still open and saved me a possible very large repair bill.

Because of the lack of ventilation back there I tend to leave the hatch open until we are actually leaving.

When shifting in to gear with the hatch open I get an audible beep-beep (once only) and a whole third of my dash is taken up with a picture of the car with the yellow trunk highlighted, and I get a warning pop up for a few seconds in the centre of the dash telling me it's open and to proceed with caution... I'm not sure what more the car could possibly do to remind a person!

When shifting in to gear with the hatch open I get an audible beep-beep (once only) and a whole third of my dash is taken up with a picture of the car with the yellow trunk highlighted, and I get a warning pop up for a few seconds in the centre of the dash telling me it's open and to proceed with caution... I'm not sure what more the car could possibly do to remind a person!

I'll confirm again but I'm 99% sure I get nothing audible. I would expect the same amount of notification as if a door is open.

When the side doors are open and you put it in drive or reverse, the car stops itself after rolling a foot or so. There does need to at least be some audible notifications that are higher pitched like when you're too close to the parking sensors. The lower "bong bong" noise is the same as the seatbelt notification.

The lower "bong bong" noise is the same as the seatbelt notification.
So if you get it, you should know you did something wrong, and fix it.

it takes over a full THIRD of the instrument cluster to tell you what's going on, AND makes a noise to tell you something is wrong, AND pops up a notification at the bottom of the dash... I don't see what more it could possibly do!

... I don't see what more it could possibly do!

Police Sirens playing "at 11" on the stereo flash all marker lights and all interior lights and screens, and honk the horn !

I agree though, I believe the current warnings are enough. Also, who backs up without looking backwards first ? You have a camera, a mirror, and a shoulder to look over, all of which would show you an open hatch. If people aren't looking backwards first, I feel sorry for any pets or children in their neighborhood !

Police Sirens playing "at 11" on the stereo flash all marker lights and all interior lights and screens, and honk the horn !

I agree though, I believe the current warnings are enough. Also, who backs up without looking backwards first ? You have a camera, a mirror, and a shoulder to look over, all of which would show you an open hatch. If people aren't looking backwards first, I feel sorry for any pets or children in their neighborhood !

When you are backing out of your garage and you just were behind your car to put your child in and you have a long private driveway, well I think it is fine to back up without looking.

Again, I feel sorry for any pets or other children in that neighborhood who may wander behind said car as the driver got in. Day 1 of drivers education teaches you not to move the car unless you can clearly see where the car is going. No exceptions.

Again, I feel sorry for any pets or other children in that neighborhood who may wander behind said car as the driver got in. Day 1 of drivers education teaches you not to move the car unless you can clearly see where the car is going. No exceptions.

I back in my garage and always pull out nose first. The problem for me is driving forward with the hatch open. Luckily, it just bumps into my smooth plastic cargo carrier that's hanging upside down on the ceiling. I'd hate for it to smash into the top of my garage door and/or frame.

Again, backing up a foot or two in a private driveway that was just cleared is no a big deal IMO. There are also the sonic sensors to alert you about a kid or a medium-sized animal. Most animals are going to be able to get out of the way when the car is moving that slow anyways.

And the one time it happened to me I was just starting to back up, I would have seen the camera (and therefore realized the hatch was open) before I got more than 2 feet. But possibly not before it hit my garage door.

But you are wrong if you assume I wasn't looking behind me, that's what I have side-view mirrors for. Unfortunately you can't tell the hatchback is open via sideview mirrors (but you could tell that the passenger doors were open). My garage is very narrow so I have to use the mirrors to avoid hitting the garage.

But you are avoiding the issue -- why is driving with the hatchback open treated differently than driving with the doors open?