Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No warranty on parts installed by certified shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently Tesla does not have any warranty on parts purchased by the Tesla trained/certified repair shop.

Steering rack replaced. Tesla will not exchange it. They say there is no warranty.
A little bit more information if you can.

Year of car, and model would help others learn more about the car they might have, and issues to spot.

I ask, as I have done my own steering rack work on a S. They tend to last a long time. This was replaced then failed?

If it was work done years ago, I don't think you would get anything past manufacturer warranty or 12 months and some set miles on the new part. Last part is a guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 Bits
Apparently Tesla does not have any warranty on parts purchased by the Tesla trained/certified repair shop.

Steering rack replaced. Tesla will not exchange it. They say there is no warranty.

Here is the policy from Tesla:

This appears to be the applicable part:

Repaired or Replaced Parts Any Parts or Used Parts repaired or replaced under this Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty continue to be covered by the applicable original warranty period of the repaired or replaced Part or Used Part (mentioned above in "Coverage Period") or for a period of 90 days, whichever is longer.

Reactions: 6 Bits
According to the shop Tesla says that warranty is ONLY if Tesla replaces the part.

Directly in this PDF I linked is:

======================================

Exclusions This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Limited Warranty does not cover: • Parts not purchased directly from Tesla; and, • Non-Tesla Parts including tires. Although Tesla does not require you to perform all maintenance, service or repairs at a Tesla Service Center or Tesla authorized repair facility, this Tesla Parts, Body and Paint Limited Warranty may be voided, or coverage may be excluded, due to lack of or improper maintenance, installation, service or repairs. Tesla Service Centers and Tesla authorized repair facilities have special training, expertise, tools and supplies with respect to Tesla Parts, Body and Paint repairs, and, in certain cases, may employ the only persons, or be the only facilities authorized or certified to work on Tesla Parts, Body and Paint. Tesla strongly recommends that you have all maintenance, service and repairs done at a Tesla Service Center or Tesla authorized repair facility in order to avoid voiding, or having coverage excluded under, this Tesla Parts, Body and Paint Limited Warranty.

=======================================

So, if your body shop is in fact "Tesla approved body shop" and also purchased the parts directly from Tesla, you should be good to go. If your body shop did not buy from tesla, thats an issue between you and your body shop, especially if you took it to them because they were tesla approved.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors and 6 Bits