Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No way to get to Carlsbad Caverns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to go from El Paso to CC via 62. If I remember right it's a nice drive, but it's also 300 miles one way. I guess I could do Barstow, TX to CC. 97 miles one way, but looks sort of boring.

Hey Elon, looks like we need a SC around Cornudas, TX. Or, at least by Whites City, NM...

Reactions: Watts_Up
Screenshot_20200814-173030_PlugShare.jpg

It's doable. Check comments. They're friendlier with EV now.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020
I'd like to go from El Paso to CC via 62. If I remember right it's a nice drive, but it's also 300 miles one way. I guess I could do Barstow, TX to CC. 97 miles one way, but looks sort of boring.

Hey Elon, looks like we need a SC around Cornudas, TX. Or, at least by Whites City, NM...

I would go through Cloudcroft, NM. It's a great little town worth visiting. Lots of trails nearby. If you don't mind a bit of L2 charging there are lots of options.

Reactions: AZHobos and Zaxxon
Reactions: kayak1 and Ferengii
I live in El Paso, and there's a GIANT 'hole' around Albuquerque, Santa Rosa, Amarillo, and Midland with no freaking superchargers anywhere. We can't go to Amarillo to see our daughter on the Tesla, since I'd make it to Santa Rosa with fumes (and a reduced speed of 60 mph), even on my '21 LR (in winter, at least). I'd have to detour 150+ miles thru Albuquerque, which is stupid. And other nice places like Ruidoso, Cloudcroft, Carlsbad Caverns, etc, are not reachable with an electric car. At least not in a safe way, since no freaking way I'd venture on such a trip with the prospect of arriving in fumes, and/or with a ridiculous top speed of 60, or even 70 mph. There should be a supercharger at least in Roswell, NM, but also Ruidoso, NM. If not Tesla, hopefully Biden will invest in 'universal' superchargers soon. We'll see. I'd make those trips in a day, so L2 charging is out of the question for me.

I live in El Paso, and there's a GIANT 'hole' around Albuquerque, Santa Rosa, Amarillo, and Midland with no freaking superchargers anywhere. We can't go to Amarillo to see our daughter on the Tesla, since I'd make it to Santa Rosa with fumes (and a reduced speed of 60 mph), even on my '21 LR (in winter, at least). I'd have to detour 150+ miles thru Albuquerque, which is stupid. And other nice places like Ruidoso, Cloudcroft, Carlsbad Caverns, etc, are not reachable with an electric car. At least not in a safe way, since no freaking way I'd venture on such a trip with the prospect of arriving in fumes, and/or with a ridiculous top speed of 60, or even 70 mph. There should be a supercharger at least in Roswell, NM, but also Ruidoso, NM. If not Tesla, hopefully Biden will invest in 'universal' superchargers soon. We'll see. I'd make those trips in a day, so L2 charging is out of the question for me.

There are destination chargers in Roswell now and we're installing more in Artesia soon. They're not L3 but you can get a good 48A out of them so you should be able to make Santa Rosa after 1-2 hours of charging.

Reactions: Ferengii
There are destination chargers in Roswell now and we're installing more in Artesia soon. They're not L3 but you can get a good 48A out of them so you should be able to make Santa Rosa after 1-2 hours of charging.
Do you have a link where exactly those chargers are? They didn't come up when I tried 'a better route planner'. And I wouldn't go thru Santa Rosa if there was a supercharger in Roswell (El Paso, Ruidoso, Roswell, Clovis, Amarillo). But I'd make it safely with a full charge with just a Roswell stop. Even at 48A, it'd still be a heck of a stop to 100%. It's like a 220+ mile each leg, and you can go fast for many stretches, so I'd do it that way the first time, and adjust the charging % down after seeing how we fared. But with a super long stop, I'd just take the ICE car instead. It's a long day already as it is. We'd need a level 2 supercharger.

Last edited:
Do you have a link where exactly those chargers are? They didn't come up when I tried 'a better route planner'. And I wouldn't go thru Santa Rosa if there was a supercharger in Roswell (El Paso, Ruidoso, Roswell, Clovis, Amarillo). But I'd make it safely with a full charge with just a Roswell stop. Even at 48A, it'd still be a heck of a stop to 100%. It's like a 220+ mile each leg, and you can go fast for many stretches, so I'd do it that way the first time, and adjust the charging % down after seeing how we fared. But with a super long stop, I'd just take the ICE car instead. It's a long day already as it is. We'd need a level 2 supercharger.

The red text should be a link. They're on plugshare. Tesla refused to add them to their system.

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 10.39.45 PM.png

Reactions: Vaillant
Update on July 4 2021
Road closures put an extra 50 miles on us coming from east so we stopped in Hobbs with 5 miles range. Stayed at Town Suites Marriott, charged at Cowboys RV overnight for $20. Really nice people.
Taxi is called 777 taxi and $20 to hotel.
Good nights rest, taxi back to Cowboys RV, Starbucks and off to Carlsbad.
There are a few other RV parks, but they want $40.