Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No way to have Bluetooth audio play over Slacker right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my phone connected with Bluetooth and I'm using Android auto on it to control music. When I get a text message or hangouts message or Facebook I can press play and it plays the message back to me and I can respond by voice. The only problem is if I'm listening to Slacker it doesn't work I have to change the music source to phone wait a second play the message then switch back to Slacker which starts a new song. I guess it's safe to assume there's no way to have Bluetooth audio play over slacker or have slacker pause when Bluetooth is playing a message like in my other car right? Would be so handy since then I can use Google Assistant too in the car since the built in voice assistant doesn't do much. :)

It looks like by early 2019, there will be a series of software updates that will embrace Android auto and Apple carplay. It seems that the Tesla software updates are prioritizing Tesla centered software updates and will tackle third party issues after their major internal improvements have been achieved (like blindspot recognition/warning, 360 view of car for parking, showing a truck instead of a car on screen...).

Elon Musk did mention that one of his goals in the Model 3 is to bring voice activation to a whole slew of commands and tasks in the months to come.

Lastly, we should keep in mind that many of us are complaining about something (over the air software updates) that is not even possible to do at any other car company until 2020 at the earliest!

Check to see if there's a setting to have the apps in question play the bluetooth as a phone call instead of through bluetooth audio. I do this with Waze and it plays over slacker just fine (iPhoneX). In Waze if you go into settings, sound & voice, advanced, you can change the sound output to "play bluetooth as phone call"...look for something similar in your apps. Phone calls always take priority with the audio system...slacker will even pause while Waze is talking and pick back up where it left off when Waze is done. Obviously, this doesn't help if you can't change the bluetooth settings in the apps you are using, but worth a look.

I have my phone connected with Bluetooth and I'm using Android auto on it to control music. When I get a text message or hangouts message or Facebook I can press play and it plays the message back to me and I can respond by voice. The only problem is if I'm listening to Slacker it doesn't work I have to change the music source to phone wait a second play the message then switch back to Slacker which starts a new song. I guess it's safe to assume there's no way to have Bluetooth audio play over slacker or have slacker pause when Bluetooth is playing a message like in my other car right? Would be so handy since then I can use Google Assistant too in the car since the built in voice assistant doesn't do much. :)
Check out this thread for a solution.

hahahaha riiiiiiight. Source?

I doubt they'd ever support them personally in the traditional sense (Android Auto interface on the M3 touch screen), but I'm hoping for some basic integration similar to what I want to do here. Like simple things, such as having Slacker play but Android Auto on my phone on the USB and be able to have that play text messages etc over Slacker without work arounds, stuff like that.