Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No way to remote start heated wipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WllXM

May 4, 2022
London
It’s all in the title. Was looking for it the other day now that freezing temp days are coming, but it would seem you can only start heated windscreen wipers from the car, and not from the app…
Seems like a huge overlook since that’s really the feature you would need if you need to remotely preheat your car after an icy night… have I missed it somewhere?

It’s all in the title. Was looking for it the other day now that freezing temp days are coming, but it would seem you can only start heated windscreen wipers from the car, and not from the app…
Seems like a huge overlook since that’s really the feature you would need if you need to remotely preheat your car after an icy night… have I missed it somewhere?
In the App hold one of the Icons and you will get access to all of them, then select the Icon of the car with 3 'waves' above it, this will rapidly defrost the car. You can move that Icon to the main list of 4 / 5 for the Winter if you plan to use it regularly.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
In the App hold one of the Icons and you will get access to all of them, then select the Icon of the car with 3 'waves' above it, this will rapidly defrost the car. You can move that Icon to the main list of 4 / 5 for the Winter if you plan to use it regularly.
I presume that's no different from selecting "defrost car" from the climate section of the app? (You have to swipe up to see it all the climate options.)

Reactions: Jason71
Wow, that's disappointing.
I'm picking up my Y this week with snow on the ground. I know you can unlock the door via the app. But if the door is frozen to the car, does this still work?
It's apparent the engineers at Tesla don't live in cold environments.

Wow, that's disappointing.
I'm picking up my Y this week with snow on the ground. I know you can unlock the door via the app. But if the door is frozen to the car, does this still work?
It's apparent the engineers at Tesla don't live in cold environments.
I would suggest you are reacting to a misinterpretation of the manual, it says

1670792373526.png

I read that to suggest that if you use wiper service mode then the wipers will be better defrosted by the windscreen defroster, or if you have a 2022 car with wiper defrosters then it doesn't matter. It isn't very well worded but the section of the windscreen that is heated by the wiper defrosters is the bottom section, raising them would be pointless.

Personal experience with my 2019 car is that it wasn't necessary, turn on defrost 30 mins before you leave and most likely the glass is clear and wipers available without repositioning them. I've not had anything more than a mild frost so far with the 2022 car.

I would suggest you are reacting to a misinterpretation of the manual, it says

View attachment 883863

I read that to suggest that if you use wiper service mode then the wipers will be better defrosted by the windscreen defroster, or if you have a 2022 car with wiper defrosters then it doesn't matter. It isn't very well worded but the section of the windscreen that is heated by the wiper defrosters is the bottom section, raising them would be pointless.

Personal experience with my 2019 car is that it wasn't necessary, turn on defrost 30 mins before you leave and most likely the glass is clear and wipers available without repositioning them. I've not had anything more than a mild frost so far with the 2022 car.

Coincidentally I did have the wipers stuck to the screen this morning. This was despite not leaving early and having done a full "defrost" via the app before going out to a warm car. The car cleared fully as usual and all appeared well but we set off without specifically checking that the wipers would sweep. It was bright and clear, though temperatures ranging from -6 to -11 on the drive. It was only when joining other traffic about 15 miles into the journey that some fine spray thrown up by cars in front that I decided to to press the button ... frozen .. no movement! Fortunately the build up was slow and we arrived where we were going without having to stop and clear the screen ... but that was after an hour and the wipers were still stuck. They actually freed up very easily when moved by hand when I got out. You people with heaters for the wipers have a really useful facility! In ICE cars the heat from the engine flows up to the lower wipers area eventually and thaws them but there's nothing that offers any indirect help like that in an EV.

Only problem if you forget to put them back you'll have to stop, put the car in park and then turn service mode off. They used to go down on there own when you engaged park
Thought so. Got caught out by this yesterday. Thankfully hadn’t finished reversing off of drive.

That said, I see the reasoning of not automatically reverting back which might cause a problem if they were still frozen to windscreen.

Coincidentally I did have the wipers stuck to the screen this morning. This was despite not leaving early and having done a full "defrost" via the app before going out to a warm car. The car cleared fully as usual and all appeared well but we set off without specifically checking that the wipers would sweep. It was bright and clear, though temperatures ranging from -6 to -11 on the drive. It was only when joining other traffic about 15 miles into the journey that some fine spray thrown up by cars in front that I decided to to press the button ... frozen .. no movement! Fortunately the build up was slow and we arrived where we were going without having to stop and clear the screen ... but that was after an hour and the wipers were still stuck. They actually freed up very easily when moved by hand when I got out. You people with heaters for the wipers have a really useful facility! In ICE cars the heat from the engine flows up to the lower wipers area eventually and thaws them but there's nothing that offers any indirect help like that in an EV.
I now recall once again why I live in the SE of England and not Scotland where I was born.

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
-8°C this morning on the sultry High Weald....
Yes, in truth for much of the last few days the temperatures in much of the south of England have been every bit as cold as much of Scotland (obviously unusual!) ... people see the record temperatures at Braemar and attach that to the entirety of Scotland... when in fact very few people live there. In terms of snow in our valley it's been the lightest of dusting visible, just frost really ... nothing like the "chaos" of the southern motorways! The local variations are quite remarkable at the moment. Yesterday in the afternoon it was -1 here and just over the hill in the the next valley it was -8 despite us being 850ft above sea level and the Tweed valley towns being several hundred feet lower. Little wind so presumably the cold air was just sitting in there.

Reactions: adsheff