Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No way to remotely defrost front/rear windscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
Went out to the car this morning and it was frosted over. I came inside and switched the AC on. I swiped up in the app to see if I could also specifically defrost the front and back windows. There is a defrost button that looks like the windscreen heater button, but pressing it warns me that it’ll make the inside really hot?

Is this just the same as pressing the windscreen button - blasting the air on hot to the windscreen direction, and the description is being dramatic, or is it doing something else?

And is there a way to do the rear window defrost from the app?

So just climate on will do both? MAX seems too much (just got in and it’s roasting)

Also juts noticed if you have the AC on ‘auto’ it turns the AC off. If I press the AC button it switches it to manual. Is there no way to have the temp on auto (so can speed etc is controlled to maintain temperature, but with AC on? My windscreen is half full of condensation which is why I prefer to leave AC on to dehumidify

Aren’t you using the specific defrost button in the app?

I tried both.

Normally I just put climate on, but that seems to indicate just putting the heater on in the car to warm it up. It may do front bias and/or rear heater but I’m not in the car so don’t know. It doesn’t make it clear.

I tried today using defrost but when I got in the car was roasting and the heat was on HI MAX. I don’t think it does that if you just press the front windscreen button - it just biases to the front fans and heat?

Either may be doing what I want, just the app and the car don’t make it clear so would be good to understand

The manual (I know) says:
  • Enable or disable Defrost Car which helps melt snow, ice, and frost on the windshield, windows, and mirrors.
Generally I'd only use defrost to defrost the car . When it has done that I switch off defrost and the app (and the car) reverts to my preferred temp.
Prepping the car in winter to me is a two stage process whether in the car or on the app. You wouldn't normally drive your car around in the defrost setting.

I tried today using defrost but when I got in the car was roasting and the heat was on HI MAX. I don’t think it does that if you just press the front windscreen button - it just biases to the front fans and heat?
It does if you press it twice. The second press puts it in MAX mode which puts the temp to HI.

I don't do a lot of early mornings these days. But ice usually melts at 20 degrees in my experience so I assume just turning on the heat at say 20 degrees will de-ice the car in most UK conditions? will just take a bit longer if you don't use defrost?

I don't do a lot of early mornings these days. But ice usually melts at 20 degrees in my experience so I assume just turning on the heat at say 20 degrees will de-ice the car in most UK conditions? will just take a bit longer if you don't use defrost?
Depends on where you are in the UK.
Preheat covers most situations, but I find snow and overnight freezing rain need defrost.

Reactions: Adopado