Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Way to Unlock Charge Port from Console?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ben W

Chess Grandmaster (Supervised)
Feb 27, 2009
Santa Barbara, CA
I had a situation today where I was using a ChargePoint J1772 adapter in an underground garage, and the charge port got into a state where it was open but locked. (The adapter could not be removed.) From the car console, the only control seemed to be to "close" the charge port; but not to unlock it so I could remove the adapter. The Tesla app on my iPhone has its own 'unlock charge port' button, but underground without a cell signal it wasn't able to connect to the car. I tried various combinations of turning the car off and on, locking and unlocking the doors, but nothing seemed to help with the locked charge port.

Is there some other way to unlock the charge port in this situation? As it was, I had to drive out of the garage with the charge port hanging open, then later use the iPhone app to unlock the port and remove the adapter. This didn't feel like the most elegant solution. I'm hoping there's a better one! (I use this garage frequently; it's at my workplace.)

Thanks,
Ben

I had a situation today where I was using a ChargePoint J1772 adapter in an underground garage, and the charge port got into a state where it was open but locked. (The adapter could not be removed.) From the car console, the only control seemed to be to "close" the charge port; but not to unlock it so I could remove the adapter. The Tesla app on my iPhone has its own 'unlock charge port' button, but underground without a cell signal it wasn't able to connect to the car. I tried various combinations of turning the car off and on, locking and unlocking the doors, but nothing seemed to help with the locked charge port.

Is there some other way to unlock the charge port in this situation? As it was, I had to drive out of the garage with the charge port hanging open, then later use the iPhone app to unlock the port and remove the adapter. This didn't feel like the most elegant solution. I'm hoping there's a better one! (I use this garage frequently; it's at my workplace.)

Thanks,
Ben

There should be a manual release accessible from the trunk just behind the charge port itself. Its a small hole with a cable inside. Pull the cable and it should release the adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: Ben W
20180210_145627.jpg

Is this it?

Reactions: 03DSG

Thanks,
Ben
From page 110 of the owners manual:
6. Shows if the charge cable is locked in the
charge port or not. If Model 3 is not
charging, you can touch the lock icon to
unlock the charge cable from the charge
port.

A bit counter-intuitive maybe but the lock icon is itself a button.

Thanks all! I never even noticed the lock icon, let alone realize that it would unlock if you tap it. I think I had in my head that the iPhone app has an explicit 'Unlock' button, so I expected the car console to have similar UI. Live and learn! (and hope Tesla makes their UI more intuitive!)

Reactions: Skidmark
There is another thread on this. It happened to me the day we got the car. No need to use the app or release in the trunk. Just use two hands to remove by pressing the ChargePoint charger release button with one hand (automatically unlocks adapter) and pulling out the adapter with the other hand. Quick and easy.

There is another thread on this. It happened to me the day we got the car. No need to use the app or release in the trunk. Just use two hands to remove by pressing the ChargePoint charger release button with one hand (automatically unlocks adapter) and pulling out the adapter with the other hand. Quick and easy.
That sometimes does work. Good to try it. Here's my list of ways to unlock charge port from back when I had my Model S, but I think the Model 3 is slightly different; note that each of these does not always work, but there are more ways to try as you go down the list, so eventually, one will work:
  • Press stop button in EVSE app (such as ChargePoint). Not all EVSEs have this.
  • Press stop button on the EVSE box itself.
  • Press button on J1772 plug.
  • Press button (long press?) on HPWC plug (if you're near one).
  • Press unlock button in app (Remote S, official Tesla app, etc.)
  • Press unlock button on console
  • For Model S & X: Press key fob unlock button (long press? on the back?). The key fob for the Model 3 doesn't have buttons. (Can you waive it by the charge port to unlock it?)
  • Some people built a HPWC plug button as a stand-alone device, since they were designing their own EVSE's for the Teslas. It behaved identical to HPWC button. Of course, they installed it into their EVSE plugs, but there was also a standalone device. This would be useful to those people who need to unlock charge port when smartphone app is not available and there is no nearby charger with its own buttons (no cell coverage?), but they don't want to climb inside the car to press the console commands; essentially, I can't think of a great reason for this except for some EVSE's that commonly have this problem (maybe in the mountains at a hotel or nice restaurant or something).
  • I just learned about the manual release. That's a nice backup if the car is disabled.