TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No where to hang a coat in new 2020 Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by bhavinator, Jan 5, 2020.

1. bhavinator

bhavinator Member

Hi folks,

Brand new owner of a 2020 Model S - Long Range. I guess now in 2020, they are using similar seats in this car as the Model 3. All of the coat hangers I see online for the Model S are built for older generation seats where there is an adjustable headrest and a proper gap to slide in the hook.

Has anyone solved this issue or verified a particular brand of hook that will slip into the backing panel somehow?

Attached Files:

2. beatle

beatle Member

Though the Abstract Ocean hooks say they're only up to the 2018 cars, it looks like they would work for your application:

Coat Hooks (set of 2) for Model S & X

I have a set that I'm not using (they did not work very well in the headliner) and I don't have an adjustable head rest.

3. RMCan

RMCan Member

No, these don't work either. The new headrest does not have any crevices; all of the seams are stitched so there is no place to insert a coat hook.

• Informative x 1
  4. HrvatskaEV

HrvatskaEV Closed

How comfy are the new seats?

5. Merle

Merle Member

6. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

Also doesn't factor in the up/down motion or bumps which will dramatically increase the weight of your jacket in short bursts. Not sure that will work for this purpose but it's cheap enough to try out.

7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Do the Tesla ones not work?

Coat Hooks

8. derichio02

derichio02 Member

The Tesla ones will work. I have a 2020 Model S Performance with the new seat and you are looking in the wrong area. Look where the headrest and the plastic backing meet so about a foot higher than where you are looking. Will supply pics later this afternoon

9. derichio02

derichio02 Member

Looking at your seat again. Mine does not look like that. The plastic goes all the way up to the headrest but the seat portion is a new design. Are there really 2 different seats for the 2020 already lol

10. Andy_TPA

Andy_TPA Member

Interesting, my Model S is brand new as well, but I still have the "old" seats. I 3D-printed some coat hooks, work the same way as the tesla ones.
    There are also coat hooks available that go into your headliner: 'HookUp' Coat Hooks for Tesla Model S

11. bhavinator

bhavinator Member

Andy,
    The 'HookUp' hooks you link to, look pretty good. I ended up buying these from Amazon.

More pricey for sure. But they fit snug and do a good job of holding my hanger and blending in nicely.

12. bhavinator

bhavinator Member

Given I don't know how the other seats felt, since this is my first Tesla, I can't really compare. But the seats are comfy. They are identical to the ones in the Model 3.

13. HrvatskaEV

HrvatskaEV Closed

Not really identical, the only identical parts are the headrest and the seat backing (even that is a bit different). Sigh. I really hope they don't just merge the 3 into the S/X, the S is so much better. It's also a bit ridiculous to merge a $35000 car into a $100000 car, I thought that in 2018 they decided they wouldn't make it the same. :( Are they at least more comfy than in the 3?

14. jrc0yne

jrc0yne Member

I have just purchased the Tesla coat hooks for my 2020 Model S and it does not seem to be compatible. My seats look the same as the OP. Anyone figure out the best way for the new seats? I am guessing we will have to go with the headliner options.

15. bhavinator

bhavinator Member

Yup, headliner option is the only way that we know of for the 2020 models.

• Like x 1