Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No WiFi? No problem!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Botton line up front: If your iPhone has tether/hotspot capability, you can link your Model 3's WiFi to it to "trick" the car into thinking it's on WiFi.

Back story: I live in an apartment complex and have zero access to WiFi. I've tried driving around to stores/shops in my area to get on their free WiFi and the signal is never strong enough and I don't live close to a Tesla service center. Because of this, my car was not updating. I read somewhere on here that if you contact Tesla, they'll send out a technician with a mobile hotspot and hook you up. This was not true. I submitted a service request but when I spoke to the tech, he said he saw my car hadn't been updated in quite some time due to not being on WiFi (the new maps are what absolutely require a WiFi signal to download). He was, however, able to force the latest software version to my car (despite not having the ability to download corresponding maps). He said to get the maps, go to a Tesla service center and sit on their WiFi (for an undisclosed amount of time...and hope that it works). I wasn't doing that, I live at least an hour away from the nearest service center.

The solution: A friend suggested to use my iPhone mobile hotspot and link my car's WiFi to it. So for the past couple weeks I've been setting this up every time I drive. Finally today, on my hour-long commute to work, I got the notification that my car was ready to install the map update.

Takeaway: I've been bitching about not having WiFi and searching for solutions all over the internet, forums, Tesla service, etc, and haven't seen anything regarding a work-around. So if this information is already out there, sorry for wasting your time. I'm shocked the Tesla service rep didn't know about or suggest this solution, but it worked. If you're having the same issue, be patient, and link your car's WiFi to your phone as much as possible. Depending on how long you're in your car for will obviously affect the rate at which the downloads will come. Like I said, I've been doing this for a couple weeks now and just today it finally worked; I received "Version 2019.8.5 3aaa23d" and all the maps, so now I can FINALLY use NAV ON AUTOPILOT...which is f'ing awesome.

Fire away with questions.

Yup, that is a solution that a few people use. I guess you know that you are not actually "Tricking" the car to think it is on Wifi. It really is on Wifi….. to your phone :D

The real point of my post though is to say I hope you have one heck of a data plan on your phone. Some of these updates are gigabytes and gigabytes, and more gigabytes :eek: Good to know this worked for you. That is one heck of a big update.

Yeah but my phone has LTE service just like my car does, so it’s stupid the maps wouldn’t just download on their own without the “WiFi” signal via my phone’s LTE. In other words, if an LTE signal eventually worked (via my phone), then the issue should have resolved itself without me having to tether my phone for hours.

And yes, I definitely have unlimited data!

Yeah but my phone has LTE service just like my car does, so it’s stupid the maps wouldn’t just download on their own without the “WiFi” signal via my phone’s LTE. In other words, if an LTE signal eventually worked (via my phone), then the issue should have resolved itself without me having to tether my phone for hours.

Except you pay for data going through the phone over LTE.

Tesla pays for it going over LTE in your car.

It worked for me.

I don't have wifi where I park my car. I was running version 2019.8.3. I kept looking at my app for an update without luck. I just went to my car and connected it to my phone as a hotspot and after about 5 minutes, the alarm showed on the screen and the update notice showed in the app. I just updated to version 2019.8.5.

When a large maps update is issued, I'll probably just go to the Service Center and hang out there for a while to try to upload it.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
If any of you have a line-of-sight (non-metallic object in-between may be okay) of your vehicle from the window, roof, or anywhere accessible, you could consider installing a high-power directional WiFi antenna/AP such as the one below:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-CPE6...zed-Directional/dp/B07FN3N1W3#customerReviews

For example, aim the antenna through your window at the carport, where your Tesla is parked. If underground parking then your are SOL!

Takeaway: I've been bitching about not having WiFi and searching for solutions all over the internet, forums, Tesla service, etc, and haven't seen anything regarding a work-around. So if this information is already out there, sorry for wasting your time. I'm shocked the Tesla service rep didn't know about or suggest this solution, but it worked.

My guess is the technician probably thought you wouldn't want to use your data as less people seem to have unlimited data with a tethering plan. Although it seems some phone companies are bringing it back around.

Whenever someone calls and needs help troubleshooting a problem it can be hard to know where to start. There's a reason I've had to ask people if their router/computer/monitor is plugged in, because I've received trouble calls where that was the issue.

My guess is the technician probably thought you wouldn't want to use your data as less people seem to have unlimited data with a tethering plan. Although it seems some phone companies are bringing it back around.

Whenever someone calls and needs help troubleshooting a problem it can be hard to know where to start. There's a reason I've had to ask people if their router/computer/monitor is plugged in, because I've received trouble calls where that was the issue.
True, and on a (sort of) unrelated tangent - I’ve had the same awful AT&T plan for as long as I can remember (4GB/month, 450 minutes, no mobile hotspot). After hearing some of the awesome plans my friends had, I called to AT&T to switch to Verizon. It turned out I had a completely outdated plan that wasn’t even offered anymore. Now, for a fraction of the cost, I have unlimited everything plus mobile hotspot. It’s funny AT&T never contacted me to let me know that was even an option. Bc these cell companies need to stay competitive with one another, just about every carrier offers some sort of reasonable unlimited data plan. Just food for thought.