Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Winter tires available for my soon to be delivered Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree on this point: when you order the Model S, you have a choice of tires. If you ordered the snow tire option, Tesla will deliver it with those on. If you didn't, Tesla is assuming you don't care about snow tires or have made other arrangements. Perhaps American companies believe more in consumer choice, but personally I'm glad that they are treating their buyers as intelligent individuals who can make rational choices.

I'm all for consumer choice. Point is not the lack of winter tires. I know Tesla offers winter tires as an option. That's perfectly fine and in line with other manufacturers.

My point is the lack of a choice of proper summer tires for the 19" wheels!
I don't want the "no season" crap no matter if it's a goodyear eagel rsa2 or michelin mxm4 (not available in europe btw). Give me a choice of getting proper summer tires on the 19" just like every other car is delivered in europe. Or equip european deliveries with summer tires as standard on the 19", people in europe expect summer tires anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

But at least it holds the road. The Goodyear "skips" when turning sharply.

If you say so. I have never and hopefully will never use any of those two on any car.

My point is the lack of a choice of proper summer tires for the 19" wheels!
I don't want the "no season" crap no matter if it's a goodyear eagel rsa2 or michelin mxm4 (not available in europe btw). Give me a choice of getting proper summer tires on the 19" just like every other car is delivered in europe. Or equip european deliveries with summer tires as standard on the 19", people in europe expect summer tires anyway.

Not sure what it's like in the US, but in Canada, typically, if you want summer tires on a factory delivered car, you'll most likely be upgrading the size of the wheel too. Usually the "summer performance" option leaves you NO option.

North American consumers have been led to believe all-season tires are just fine, thank you. Besides the car nuts who know better, or people who just max out their config, there isn't a huge demand for summer only tires - certainly not up here (for some obvious reasons).

Not sure if this is Tesla's reasoning or not. Either way, I agree with you. They should throw in another choice at the 19" size for summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
One problem with all this is the way all companies with seasonal goods handle stock - they're usually a season ahead. If you break your snow shovel in March, or sometimes even January, good luck finding a replacement. If you buy a car mid-winter then snow tires are hard to come by. That isn't Tesla's fault. You can fault them for the limited types of tires they stock, but I haven't seen any other car manufacturer or dealer doing any better.

Not sure what it's like in the US, but in Canada, typically, if you want summer tires on a factory delivered car, you'll most likely be upgrading the size of the wheel too. Usually the "summer performance" option leaves you NO option.

North American consumers have been led to believe all-season tires are just fine, thank you. Besides the car nuts who know better, or people who just max out their config, there isn't a huge demand for summer only tires - certainly not up here (for some obvious reasons).

Not sure if this is Tesla's reasoning or not. Either way, I agree with you. They should throw in another choice at the 19" size for summer.

I was actually referring to europe where all manufacturers (incl the other major US manufacturers) deliver their cars with summer tires only. It seems to be only Tesla that hasn't understood the market differences yet. Or they just ignore it which is even worse....

Ohh.... And btw, the all seasons are illegal (yes, illegal as in you can get fined by the police) to use during winter in the nordic countries (norway, sweden, finland) so they are not really good for anything at all for us...

I was actually referring to europe where all manufacturers (incl the other major US manufacturers) deliver their cars with summer tires only. It seems to be only Tesla that hasn't understood the market differences yet. Or they just ignore it which is even worse....

Ohh.... And btw, the all seasons are illegal (yes, illegal as in you can get fined by the police) to use during winter in the nordic countries (norway, sweden, finland) so they are not really good for anything at all for us...

Yep, I know. I only mentioned the US because Tesla is American.

Quebec has a winter tire law also. I wish more places in Canada would as well. It's smart (and safe).