Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No, you *can't* reserve 20 Model 3s...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't Elon say at one point that current owners could get to the front of the line for each current car that they own? I ordered 3 because I have 3 currently.
Your recollection is correct.

"And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region (one priority reservation for each Tesla they own)"

That was the original text of the e-mail to owners and it was in the original version of the Model 3 reservation blog post on the Tesla Motors web site. The web page has since been updated to say only,

"And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region."

As an owner, you should have the original e-mail, right? I would hold onto that in case you get challenged at some point. It's possible they will just say, "yeah, sorry, we changed that" but with the e-mail, you'd certainly have a case to get three.

Reactions: Red Sage
Confirmed Orders - Redacted.png

Yeah, but your three are legit (one Model 3 reservation per Tesla owned, as per the original e-mail). I think Musk knows about those and knows they are the exception, not the rule, and only amount to a blip in the overall order numbers (so not worth mentioning when talking about this at the high level).

Also,Tweets are still limited to 140 characters, right? It would be difficult to mention all of that in a tweet.

May we all remain in good health and good spirits long enough to take delivery of *ALL* of our Model 3s. :)

Reactions: Red Sage and EinSV
Can you log into your "My Tesla" page and see how many reservations are listed? If more than two, can you post a screen shot (fuzz out any personal or private information)?

From what Elon said, it seems like your 3rd and 4th order should only have survived if you provided a different physical address or different e-mail address at order time. If your "My Tesla" page shows two reservations, then I'd say Tesla owes you $2K. IF it shows 4, and you want 4, then hang tight and see what happens!

-CB
I can and do log in constantly to see if there has been a status change. I have four reservations and one S on the page. The S has status of delivered, obviously. But no, I don't want to hassle with doing a screen capture and removing any data. I can say that there is something else strange about my RNs because there was talk in the beginning about an East Coast vs West Coast RN series but my SNs are shown in this sequence:

Model 3 Order Number RN108xxxxxx
Model 3 Order Number RN107xxxxxx
Model 3 Order Number RN108xxxxxx
Model 3 Order Number RN107xxxxxx

When you click on "view profile" to the right of each RN, it goes to a page that only shows:
Model 3 RN108xxxxxx as appropriate for the link of the RN selected. There is no other information on any of the four pages.

I check each regularly to see if any of them display a priority since I own an S, but to date, there has been no change and no response from Tesla.

I also notice that the latest tweet from Elon is different from before and states that these multiple orders will be cleaned up. So I suspect he has received word that a number of people are concerned and asking for clarification about his previous tweet. And as I told both of the Tesla reps that I spoke to, I am willing to keep all four reservations as long as I get to actually order them in the appropriate sequence. There is no point in putting up money for a reservation that doesn't offer any assurance of a place in line associated with the time the reservation was made.

They are really good about cancellations because I had an X on order for about a year but when the rumor of non-folding second row seats was proven to be true, I canceled the day after the reveal. As configured, the X doesn't work for me. Tesla sent my check by FedEx and I had it in two days. Tesla is a great company in so many ways, but communication has always been their weakest component. I can understand the need to keep lots of things "close to the vest" but other things that are stated publicly require multiple follow up statements that really should be unnecessary if those who spoke verified what they said was true before it was announced to everyone.

And as I told both of the Tesla reps that I spoke to, I am willing to keep all four reservations as long as I get to actually order them in the appropriate sequence. There is no point in putting up money for a reservation that doesn't offer any assurance of a place in line associated with the time the reservation was made.
Other than owner delivery priority (which may be for only one expedited Model 3 per Tesla currently owned), reservation sequence does not translate directly to delivery time. An earlier reservation number will only get you an earlier invitation to the design studio.

If the Model X is any indication, you will be invited to configure your Model 3 along with a few hundred (more likely a few thousand) of your closest friends. Once you lock in your order details (options), and the order confirms, then you'll enter the manufacturing and delivery queue, based on your selected options, your location, and however Tesla is batching the orders. Higher optioned/loaded Model 3s are likely to be built and delivered first, as Musk has already confirmed.

Again, other than owner priority (and employee priority), I expect the configuration and ordering/delivery of the Model 3 to be similar to the S and X. Those who confirm their orders immediately, highly optioned, without waiting to test drive or even see one in the flesh will be the ones who get their cars first.

With the Model X, there are many people with much later reservations who got their cars (or will be getting their cars) *much* earlier than those who had reservations years earlier than they did. They still haven't shipped any 75D Model Xes - even those who reserved their cars in 2012 - while people who ordered P90Ds in 2015/2016 have already gotten VINs assigned (some may even have their Xes already).

I would speculate that your Model S ownership will get you *one* expedited Model 3, delivered after employees but before non-Tesla owners with the same configurations. What is unclear is if you order a base Model 3, will a regular (non-customer) get his or her loaded Model 3 before you? I believe they will.

As for the other one (or three) Model 3s you have reserved, I believe you will get the same priority for those orders that non-customers get. And the order of delivery will depend solely on when you finalize (confirm) your order, what your configurations are and where you live.

But at this point, I don't expect to even have answers to these questions, or precise details about who gets their Model 3s and when, until *much* closer to actual delivery time. "The Waiting in the Hardest Part."

Other than owner delivery priority (which may be for only one expedited Model 3 per Tesla currently owned), reservation sequence does not translate directly to delivery time. An earlier reservation number will only get you an earlier invitation to the design studio.

If the Model X is any indication, you will be invited to configure your Model 3 along with a few hundred (more likely a few thousand) of your closest friends. Once you lock in your order details (options), and the order confirms, then you'll enter the manufacturing and delivery queue, based on your selected options, your location, and however Tesla is batching the orders. Higher optioned/loaded Model 3s are likely to be built and delivered first, as Musk has already confirmed.

Again, other than owner priority (and employee priority), I expect the configuration and ordering/delivery of the Model 3 to be similar to the S and X. Those who confirm their orders immediately, highly optioned, without waiting to test drive or even see one in the flesh will be the ones who get their cars first.

With the Model X, there are many people with much later reservations who got their cars (or will be getting their cars) *much* earlier than those who had reservations years earlier than they did. They still haven't shipped any 75D Model Xes - even those who reserved their cars in 2012 - while people who ordered P90Ds in 2015/2016 have already gotten VINs assigned (some may even have their Xes already).

I would speculate that your Model S ownership will get you *one* expedited Model 3, delivered after employees but before non-Tesla owners with the same configurations. What is unclear is if you order a base Model 3, will a regular (non-customer) get his or her loaded Model 3 before you? I believe they will.

As for the other one (or three) Model 3s you have reserved, I believe you will get the same priority for those orders that non-customers get. And the order of delivery will depend solely on when you finalize (confirm) your order, what your configurations are and where you live.

But at this point, I don't expect to even have answers to these questions, or precise details about who gets their Model 3s and when, until *much* closer to actual delivery time. "The Waiting in the Hardest Part."

If you had read my previous posts, you would know that I only expected one priority order. And since I have been an owner and significant shareholder since early 2013 and have followed Tesla religiously, you should know that you not are telling me anything I don't know, and nothing you offered was an answer to any question or statement I made since I posed no questions and only offered that what we have been told and what is true are not exactly the same.

As one who placed a deposit in 2012 and expected a late 2013 delivery but was pushed to take it in March of 2013, I know full well the significance of the high priced model. As a shareholder, I knew to take it early, before I was ready, because it would help with the 1st quarter sales and because I was a shareholder, I knew I would benefit from it, and I did.

Pedantic information when it isn't requested is really annoying and assumes a lot. As for when I will get mine, I am on owner on the West Coast and intend to max out the options on the first order, so I expect to get mine no later than those who are of equal status and ordered after I did at 7:25 PM on March 31. The others should be offered to order in similar preference to others. Again, I don't need anyone to offer answers to me for questions not asked. And if I was unclear about my expectations before, there should no longer be any doubt. I do not expect to be treated differently than any one else and do not expect any priority other than what has been promised to everyone based on ownership, location, and options ordered.

There should be public information from Tesla on Monday, or Tesla time Tuesday, that clarifies all the questions about those who ordered more than two cars.

I came across this a while back, from another angle. Anton Wahlman proposed his theory of 'Tesla Model 3 Treachery' to the staff of Autoline, a panel of reporters and automotive industry insiders, as well. I think it is generally a pretty good show, but they are very traditional car guys, and hold a strong allegiance to 'independent franchised dealerships' (who are sometimes their sponsors and express serious doubts about Tesla Motors rather often.

"Wow. The guys at Autoline never seem to miss an opportunity to poke sharpened sticks at Tesla Motors. But this time, they brought on some guy named Anton Wahlman from [SINKING ANCHOR] to co-sign. Near as I can figure, he is a [FARGIN' BASTIDGE ICEHOLE] (FBI) agent of the Naysayers That Say Nay... Throughout the conversation they continually come up with the wrong answers to any question they can conceive. (Begins at 34:25.) [Strange that none of these 'car guys' seems to remember Tucker.]"

If you had read my previous posts, you would know that I only expected one priority order. And since I have been an owner and significant shareholder since early 2013 and have followed Tesla religiously, you should know that you not are telling me anything I don't know, and nothing you offered was an answer to any question or statement I made since I posed no questions and only offered that what we have been told and what is true are not exactly the same.
Relax, buddy. No need to get your panties in a twist. Your statement that elicited my response was, "And as I told both of the Tesla reps that I spoke to, I am willing to keep all four reservations as long as I get to actually order them in the appropriate sequence. There is no point in putting up money for a reservation that doesn't offer any assurance of a place in line associated with the time the reservation was made."

That implies a misunderstanding of how the Tesla reservation system works, so I clarified that process. Reservation time and date doesn't get you "any assurance of a place in line associated with the time the reservation was made." It only gets you invited to configure your car in a huge batch with thousands of other people who reserved around the same date and time. I don't know exactly how it was with the S but I believe the batches invited to configure were smaller and more spread out due to a lower number of overall reservations and much slower ramp up. You cancelled your X reservation before confirming an order so you didn't go through that process with the X. I did. I reserved in August 2013, but people who reserved in late 2014 got ahead of me because they were willing to commit to and confirm their order before I did. And that's OK. Thousands of people, with reservation dates spanning several months were invited to configure at the exact same time and date. So basically, anyone who wants to get earlier Model 3 delivery should configure and confirm their orders as soon as they get invited, move to the Bay Area and get a job at Tesla. :)

And even if you have a deep and resonant fundamental understanding of the Tesla reservation process, that doesn't mean everyone else reading the thread does. A simple, "Yeah, I know how the reservation and ordering system works, I went through that with the S" would have saved you a lot of typing.

Have a nice day. :)